It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House GOP plan would cut Medicare, Social Security to balance budget

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2018 @ 08:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: cynicalheathen
I'm fine not getting any social security / medicare benefits, and would let them keep what I've paid in over the last 20 years if I can stop paying.

Bad news: the only way they could do that is if they cut off the money to those who have paid in.

See, you pay the government so they can pay the retired. The system is already jacked up.

Hmm... maybe I should mention - y'all who work probably pay more in taxes than rich people. The rich don't get most of their income through wages, so they don't suffer the 6.2% employee / 6.2% employer OASDI (I think acronym is new?) on top of whatever percent you pay.
edit on 20Tue, 19 Jun 2018 20:38:17 -0500America/ChicagovAmerica/Chicago6 by Greven because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2018 @ 08:39 PM
link   

I'm pointing out the half assed, ultra-biased article

There's nothing half-assed or biased about it except your misleading, idiotic, one sided joke of a critique.

This is a declaration of war against most Americans, make no mistake about it. without Social Security most people will never be able to retire, which is tyranny in itself, but that also means they will keep working which means fewer jobs for younger people. and with huge cuts in medical benefits and getting rid of restrictions on not covering people with health conditions it it will bankrupt and probably kill hundreds of thousands of people.

But we should destroy our country because some 20 year old ass@oles think it's cool.

posted on Jun, 19 2018 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: CB328

There's nothing half-assed or biased about it except your misleading, idiotic, one sided joke of a critique.

Oof. Got me right in the feels.

Wanna see another joke?
Punchline

This is a declaration of war against most Americans, make no mistake about it. without Social Security most people will never be able to retire, which is tyranny in itself, but that also means they will keep working which means fewer jobs for younger people. and with huge cuts in medical benefits and getting rid of restrictions on not covering people with health conditions it it will bankrupt and probably kill hundreds of thousands of people.

SS has been in dire straits for my entire working life. No one has done anything to remedy the obvious problem.

But we should destroy our country because some 20 year old ass@oles think it's cool.

That's what Trump supporters and the middle have been saying for a few years now.

posted on Jun, 19 2018 @ 08:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001

Hang on... how are they going to fund the Space Force? Cut Education? Yes, that would make sense.

Other countries spend less on education and get far more out of it. But we can't even begin to think about improving the DOE without a hyperbolic knee-jerk like this.

posted on Jun, 19 2018 @ 08:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328. without Social Security most people will never be able to retire,

Those "most people" are the ones I feel most sorry for. without Social Security they surely wont be able to retire... and despite all the hemming and hawing to win political favor in the end they wont be getting enough SS to reiter if they get anything at all.

... I hope I'm not one of those people.

posted on Jun, 19 2018 @ 09:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328
The absolute worst, possible things the Republicans could imagine doing short of starting WWIII. I called this months ago when Ryan said he was retiring, they wanted to stop him from advertising this plan and save it for after the midterms. I guess looking on the bright side of enough voters hear about this the GOP purge will be so big they may never recover. I consider this an act of war against the 99% of Americans who aren't millionaires.

House GOP plan would cut Medicare, Social Security to balance budget

www.washingtonpost.com... =.e8ea179777cb

Sweet Jeebus mother of God... do you ever stop with the hysterical hyperbole?

There is a GOP purge now? Ahead of the big blue yawn wave? Is the purge an attack on conservatives via a massive blue wave army armed with dildos and bongs? Do you think anyone will live? Is there ZOMBIES in this scenario?

WW3? Cats and dogs living together? ZOMFG Republicans are going to kill the planet!!!!!!!

Except... everyone is doing better in America right now, even the welfare recipients.

So tomorrow, wake up , make a camomile tea, don't turn CNNBC on, don't go to your email to check the DNC talking points message for the day.

Go outside, walk around, look at the people and BREATHE.

Then please PLEASE please start thinking for yourself.

It will help!!!
edit on 19-6-2018 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2018 @ 11:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Then why not cut military spending along with all this?

I don't think lowering the debt is what the repub are really concerned about.

They just want to get as much of old man DBcowboys ss money. Oh and everyone else along with his.

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Isn't it obvious by now? This entire government is full of trolls. They are manipulating you.

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 07:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wardaddy454

Hang on... how are they going to fund the Space Force? Cut Education? Yes, that would make sense.

Other countries spend less on education and get far more out of it. But we can't even begin to think about improving the DOE without a hyperbolic knee-jerk like this.

So you are okay with the massive amount of spending it will take to create another arm of the DOD?

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 07:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

a reply to: DBCowboy

I know, I know.

The irony. It burns.

You can't see the irony in using a meme to attack people who substitute memes for rational argumentation?

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Yet people will still go out and blindly punch a ticket for a D or an R and still be surprised when they get screwed.

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Is this the old wordplay where not increasing Soc Sec by a certain amount is considered a "cut"? Example soc sec supposed to increase by 1 billion and now it will only increase by 500 million so they call it a 500 million cut?

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 09:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi
Is this the old wordplay where not increasing Soc Sec by a certain amount is considered a "cut"? Example soc sec supposed to increase by 1 billion and now it will only increase by 500 million so they call it a 500 million cut?

That is exactly what "cut" means. A deliberate shortfall is a cut.

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

I don't think lowering the debt is what the repub are really concerned about.

Of course not. When has trickle down economics ever resulted in lowering the debt?

And this looming trade war with China will send inflation sky high...I feel sorry for the middle class!!

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 10:18 PM
link   
It's selfish but the thing I worry about the most is my mother.

If I haven't said it enough already she has dwarfism, she's 65 years old and she depends on both the ACA and medicare.

Turns out her disability payments are just a little higher than her SS would be, but that doesn't stop me from wishing we could decide on an individual bases what our tax money was spent on.

I would put mine into health care for sure.

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 10:20 PM
link   
a reply to: DJW001
When you have a rational argument, I would be more than happy to respond.

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Georage carlin called it.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 06:13 AM
link   

a reply to: DJW001
When you have a rational argument, I would be more than happy to respond.

This is not the Mud Pit. Trump wants to back out of our SOFA with ROK to save money, he has cut the State Department to the bone despite the fact they are the best hope of getting the "migration crisis" under control, and now he is not going to meet the requirements of Social Security. And yet he has the funds to reorganize the DoD to add a "Space Force," hire more enforcers for the Mexican border and rent tents to put the migrants in, give money to rural junkies and, last but not least, pay for a Communist style missile parade through Washington DC. Please justify these priorities for me. Use your words, not memes.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 06:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wardaddy454

Other countries have a standardized curriculum specified by the central government. The United States has a mish-mash of different curriculae created by state and local governments, usually twisted by local partisan ideology. Now, how would you improve the DOE?

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 06:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

Is the purge an attack on conservatives via a massive blue wave army armed with dildos and bongs?

That would be hilarious and i would pay to watch it. lol

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join