It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help me find the actual legislation and or policy related to immigrant children

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Hello all, I really don't have much to add to this thread so it will be kind of short and sweet.

Has anyone actually seen the policy and or legislation involved in any of the cases for the children? Has anyone actually read any court documents?

I'm not hear to argue any points on this issue I simply cannot find the answers I'm looking for on my own and am looking for some help. Here is what I'm referring to (many of you should know already but just in case)

CNN

That question, included in a document given to immigrants who are arrested and separated from their children at the US-Mexico border, is at the heart of the Trump administration's new policy toward immigrant families.

You should all be familiar with this, however I cannot get anyone to produce any evidence in this case either way and I'm not looking to debate anything I'm only simply looking for the policy and or legislation and an active case.

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

Here are a couple links to another thread where Xcathdra posts some direct links to laws with a bit of good commentary on them:

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

- The Homeland Security Act of 2002 requires exactly what is happening at the moment (and that is a LAW passed by Congress, not a "policy") (see this and this post for links to laws)

- The conditions of these housing facilities are lightyears beyond the conditions where these people left, negating the claims of "inhumane treatment" that we keep seeing
I'm happy to discuss any and all of these with you if you want to argue against them, but please bring evidence and not opinion.

Obama did not seperate kids from their parents.

Ummm...yes, he did. But Obama didn't do it, the law necessitated it, and contrary to popular belief at the time, the POTUS cannot just pick and choose which laws that he will and will not enforce. (see this post for evidence that Obama did just that, and that it is because it's what the law prescribes.

Hope that helps!

edit on 18-6-2018 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

cool thanks been basically searching around but I'm also busy so try to cut to the chase

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 03:57 PM
link   

I'm not hear to argue any points on this issue I simply cannot find the answers

I'm not here not hear bud.

I've looked into this and I've been unable to find policy surrounding children and the any sort of requirement of seperating them from their parents. With that says there's no law against it as this matter hasn't really been addressed at this level before. Head of the DHS stated this in relation to 'policy' on this matter:

"We are enforcing the laws passed by Congress," she said, calling on Congress to reform immigration laws.

www.cbc.ca...

With regards to finding those laws, they're all over the place. They typically outline the number of days illegal immigrants can be detained, jailed, and processes of deportation.

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Wow! You might be onto something here.
At first I was about to blow this thread off.
But after reading your query I realized you are not asking about legislation but what laws are being enforced.
And my first thoughts are... does this have to do withe the dec.21, 2017 Declared National Emergency and the Executive Order?

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Another source. Credit to howtonhawky from another thread in finding this.

There is no federal law mandating children and parents be separated at the border; a policy resulting in that outcome was enacted in May 2018.

www.snopes.com...

There are no laws that mandate children be seperated from parents at the border.... but again there's no law forbidding it either. It's left open to the DHS and enforcement officers by the looks of it..

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 04:02 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 04:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian

There is no federal law mandating children and parents be separated at the border; a policy resulting in that outcome was enacted in May 2018.

www.snopes.com...

There are no laws that mandate children be seperated from parents at the border.... but again there's no law forbidding it either. It's left open to the DHS and enforcement officers by the looks of it..

But that post and snopes is lying. That simple.

link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

pretty good link in this op that outlines some of the confusion

link   

The only thing I've seen on it is it went back to the Clinton Adminstration. I don't even know for sure that wasn't fake news either. But a google under that might get results.

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: howtonhawky
www.abovetopsecret.com...

pretty good link in this op that outlines some of the confusion

If you guys are resorting to cross referencing snopes as a source it smells like panic. Is something that big behind todays events?
Is it the testimony before Congress?
Wassup?

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Also, this seems like a good website focused on the rights and welfare of the immigrants, and it states (amongst other things):

Can unaccompanied children be detained?

Yes, but special laws govern the custody of children based on child welfare standards that take the “best interests” of the child into account. Unaccompanied children must be transferred by DHS to the custody of HHS within 72 hours of apprehension, under the Homeland Security Act of 2002 and TVPRA of 2008. HHS’s Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR) then manages custody and care of the children until they can be released to family members or other individuals or organizations while their court proceedings go forward.

Under the TVPRA of 2008, HHS is required to “promptly place” each child in its custody “in the least restrictive setting that is in the best interests of the child.” As such, children in ORR care are generally housed through a network of state-licensed, ORR-funded care providers, who are tasked with providing educational, health, and case management services to the children.

Under international law, children “should in principle not be detained at all,” according to UNHCR. Detention, if used, should only be a “measure of last resort” for the “shortest appropriate period of time,” with an overall “ethic of care.” Detention has “well-documented” negative effects on children’s mental and physical development, including severe harm such as anxiety, depression, or long-term cognitive damage, especially when it is indefinite in nature.

Children who arrive with a parent may be detained by DHS in family detention centers, described below.

Can unaccompanied children be released from custody?

Yes. ORR seeks to reunify children with family members or release them to other individual or organizational sponsors whenever possible, on the grounds that children’s best interests are served by living in a family setting. ORR also is required to ensure that individuals taking custody of the children are able to provide for their well-being. Federal regulations, following a court settlement in the case Flores v. Reno, outline the following preferences for sponsors: (1) a parent; (2) a legal guardian; (3) an adult relative; (4) an adult individual or entity designated by the child’s parent or legal guardian; (5) a licensed program willing to accept legal custody; or (6) an adult or entity approved by ORR. The sponsor must agree to ensure that the child attends immigration court.

As of May 2014, ORR reported that the average length of stay in its facilities was approximately 35 days and that about 85 percent of the children served are released while their deportation proceedings are in progress.

American Immigration Council

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 04:21 PM
link   
The DHS Secretary is now explaining this whole thing at a press conf.

Makes sense.

And the system is severely overloaded (imo by design).

Wake up and smell the coffee !!

🚬🔫

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 04:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian

www.snopes.com...

Let me get something straight SG. You authored a whole thread today asserting the narrative of "Trump puts immigrant kids in cages". Yet when asked for source documentation you list Snopes??

I see now. Noted.

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: AgarthaSeed

Yup, they came in to a thread asking for specific information and bury the thread in garbage links to snopes and other nonsense.

Standard leftist obfuscation.

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 04:33 PM
link   
and the hate grows

i am only looking for facts and if someone at snopes laid it out and you disagree with the conclusion then by all means bring us up to speed.

i am here to learn and if you people do not post what you have then there is nothing refuting what you claim to be false and you do it without reason

i truly am interested in other facts and not your opinions

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

edit on 6/18/2018 by TheLead because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 04:45 PM
link   

You could start here:

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Hillarys talking points may help ...or not

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

By God, i'd hope we'd offer the same rights to our own citizens before offering it to foreign nationals.

Im separated from my children when im jailed (well, if i were jailed, and had children under 18).

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join