It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mandela Effect and time travel

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

Indeed not required , but also not proven that it's only bad memory.

Look we either like in a multiverse or not, I don not deny that there are many cases of bad memory , but I'm also not convinced that reality is exactly defined by science. I strongly believe that we're living in some kind of simulation , physical reality is generated by an higher reality. I see mandela as a possible manifestation of that theory. Don't saying I'm right or wrong ? Just saying it could be.
Greetings
edit on 6182018 by frenchfries because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: frenchfries

Indeed not required , but also not proven that it's only bad memory.

Look we either like in a multiverse or not, I don not deny that there are many cases of bad memory , but I'm also not convinced that reality is exactly defined by science. I strongly believe that we're living in some kind of simulation , physical reality is generated by an higher reality. I see mandela as a possible manifestation of that theory. Don't saying I'm right or wrong ? Just saying it could be.
Greetings

Whether there is a multiverse or not may have no bearing on the effects of what people call "ME". Even if there is a multiverse that includes alternate realities (similar to the Star Trek:TNG episode "Parallels"), those hypothetical alternate realities may never "spill out" into our own reality.

Then again, a multiverse could exist, but not be one that includes alternate realities of our own; they could simply be separate universes with no ties to our own other than them all being part of the multiverse.

And I say again, it is not "Bad Memory", but rather it's the way normal memory works. It is a fact that the human brain spreads memory around...for example taking a new memory of say the pizza you might have eaten with your friends today, in 2018, and associates the new memory of eating that pizza with the smell of the pizza your mother once made for family game night back in 1995. Now that memory of sitting around with your friends today while eating that pizza has an association in your brain with sitting around with your family eating pizza on game night back in 1995....

...A few years from now when you might have an occasion to access the memory of eating that pizza with your friends back in 2018, a detail from that 1995 memory that might have occurred on that 1995 night may worm its way into the 2018 memory, all because of that association that might have started with the smell of pizza. It may seem very real that the detail from 1995 actually happened in 2018, but it would be a false memory. Something a family member might have said in 1995 "magically becomes a memory of what a friend said in 2018, even though it was really from 1995.

Again, not that you would have a bad memory if that happened to you, but rather it would just be the way human memories naturally work. It is thought our brains work this way because it was important for our ancient ancestors to associate new experiences with past experiences in order to help them know what new knowledge/input is beneficial to them and which is not.

edit on 18/6/2018 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vortiki

originally posted by: anotherside

Time Travel into the past is impossible.

There are certainties. Can we travel to those? Ive read stories of natural paranormal time traveling to the past.

Those are just that, stories. You can rewind energy back into physical matter. If you burn a piece of paper into ash, you have used a chemical reaction to release the majority of the papers energy in the chemical reaction and reduce its physicality to ash.

It is impossible to return that energy to the ash to make it be the piece of paper. Backwards time travel would have to do this for literally everything in existance, which the power requires for such a feat would be infinite, as the universe and everything within is also infinite.

That would depend on what reality is and/or the nature of time.
If we live in a virtual setting anything can be reversed.

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krahzeef_Ukhar

originally posted by: wylekat
What if the more unexplainable MEs *are* the results of time travel? How would we know?? And good grief, what if it's just a smaller symptom of a larger problem? I described my event, because that is as close to something of that magnitude I've ever experienced. I got nothin'. All I can do is describe it.

That's the point I'm trying to make.
According to (my possible misunderstanding of) our best minds if ME's are the results of time travel the physical evidence which does exist in peoples neural pathways wouldn't be possible.

I do understand the feeling. Most ME's work on me, however I am curious about your challenger memory.
How did your teacher know to almost break their neck to turn the TV on?
It doesn't seem to make sense.

Is it possible that you saw 1 of the 3 Challenger launches that happened in '84 with Mr Glacier and then mixed that with your memory of watching the '86 one?

How did your teacher know to almost break their neck to turn the TV on?

He was out of the room, and I am betting up at the office. School office wasn't too far away from science class.
Is it possible that you saw 1 of the 3 Challenger launches that happened in '84 with Mr Glacier and then mixed that with your memory of watching the '86 one?
I was in junior high. I was 14. After the initial breaking news coverage, we all went out the door to look in the direction of the now really large cloud with the trails of the boosters gone everywhere. I remember looking behind me for some reason, and seeing this really large, weird black cloud as well.
There were some things that happened in the school year before I went to high school, And I spent the remainder of my time in junior high listening to those tasteless 'head and shoulder' jokes, especially by one smartass. I got to high school, didn't see him again. There's also the unexplained mess of how I managed to seem to accomplish a lot of stuff in what should have been more years than I seemed to have time for.

All this without a single drug taken, just in case you're wondering.

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 04:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People
a reply to: wylekat

A good question would be "Why would there be residue?". That is to say, if there really were some sort of alternate reality/time shift that caused past historical events to change, why would there be people who remember the "old" way?

If some time traveller (or whatever) caused Nelson Mandel to live longer than he did in another timeline, why would people have a memory of the other timeline in which he died earlier?

You got me. Something having to do with the residual electrical charge of some neurons and some quantum physics mumbo jumbo? Or, said person has somehow physically been moved from one reality to another- which would make just a tiny bit more sense.

My question is what could be done to fix all of this.

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Have people try to improve their memory?

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

In fact the only plausable way time travel backwards could be achieved is if
1. This is a simulated reality.
2. Only an entity outside the system could change a given variable, like time-state.

Even then it isnt really time travel, more like telling the simulation to reorganize every particle in existence to a particular place to emulate a previous time-state. Time would essentially continue in a forward motion as the particles are rearranged.

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 08:06 PM
link   

a reply to: SeaWorthy

In fact the only plausable way time travel backwards could be achieved is if
1. This is a simulated reality.
2. Only an entity outside the system could change a given variable, like time-state.

Even then it isnt really time travel, more like telling the simulation to reorganize every particle in existence to a particular place to emulate a previous time-state. Time would essentially continue in a forward motion as the particles are rearranged.

Unless we're talking about the idea of "Block Time" or "Eternalism". Also see J.M.E. McTaggart's idea of "B-Theory of Time"

"Eternalism" is a group of philosophy ideas (each with varying details) that time is an illusion. Every event the has happened or will happen in the entire universe all happens at once -- in an instant -- and that we beings inside the universe only experience the flow of time as a false artifact of the universe.

From an observer outside, there are no past, present, and future events -- the entire life of the universe is all blurred together as one blip of existence that is infinitley shorter than a "blip" -- becuse it was all actually an instantaneous existence.

Some aspects of Eternalis, Block Time, and B-Theory of Time have even made their way into modern quantum physics, and some specifics of these ideas actiually help explain som of the mysterious aspects of the quantum world. Granted, other details of these philosophies fail to explain other observations of quantum hysics, nor do many of these ideas explain why "the present" is so persistent in our lives.

Still, it's fun to consider such strnge philosophical ideas and how they may be more than just philosophy.

edit on 18/6/2018 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I assume reality itself is subjective to perspective, fundamentaly. I would agree that anything outside the system could witness all events instantly. However, just like a 2d creature could only see 2d segments of a 3d object, if we are to think of timespace as a 4th dimensional object it becomes obvious why we only witness one 3d slice of it at a time. I.E. the "now".
Which based on that theory, everything that is going to happen has indeed happened and we are just waiting for our perspective to catch up.

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 08:35 PM
link   
So with all these infinite dimensions, what space do they inhabit? The same space? I would argue that the amount of dimensions is finite. I do believe that time travel is possible but I am unsure if we will ever develop that technology. I am a victim of the Mandela Effect, but I am skeptical why. I believe it would be much more likely that the government is running a secret mind manipulation program on the masses. It is interesting that my family members in the same age group as myself all suffer from the same Mandela ffects

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Aren't we already there?

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 09:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Krahzeef_Ukhar

The easiest way to reconcile it in my most humble of a simpleton pea brain is that science only has a very limited understanding of how existence works. The big wigs of thought can all get together and say this or that, but at the end of the day they are just talking out of their butts.

Is ME real? I personally doubt it is anything more than a sociological phenomenon, but you truly never can tell. What I do know is nobody has a clue how time travel would actually works in practice because nobody has actually done it. At least nobody from our time and place.

Maybe ME has nothing to do with time travel. Maybe it is a series of jumps between multiverses made by our consciousness. Maybe time doesn't exist in the way we think it does. Maybe time itself is a stationary still frame and existence is just a database of every image imaginable, and our consciousness makes the jump between them to create a flowing motion.

Screw what physics thinks it knows. Life is but a dream.

And that is how to reconcile that, sir. At least in terms of not bring dissuaded on the subject.

posted on Jun, 19 2018 @ 02:02 AM
link   
I *feel* like I have experienced or been “effected” by many of the MEs. However, as someone who’s considered (statistically-speaking) “highly intelligent” I’m also totally able to accept a neurological answer as a possibility.

I’ve considered many of the same questions and points you’ve brought up... why, how, etc. But when you have crystal clear memories of nearly all the major ME’s “the wrong way” it makes you wonder if there couldn’t be something stranger at play.

But would that really be “stranger?”

If - for example - two timelines intersected due to CERN (or something), is that any “stranger” of an idea than how our brains can hear two different things from the same word (such as with the Yannni and Laurel thing)?

Bottom line is I don’t know... lol... but as someone who has those vivid memories of things the “wrong way” (often associated with other things thst make them highly memorable - such as my friends and I in a photo acting out Risky Business with our Wayfarers on and the movie on the tv behind us... yet, in the movie in the photo background, as you’ve likely assumed, Tom has no glasses on) - I think there is some explanation we don’t yet understand. Maybe even don’t have a real definition or “word for” yet. Could it be something has shifted our memory three pixels to the right, producing a different memory? Maybe. Could it be intersecting timelines? Who knows? Could it be something totally unknown as of yet? Sure.

I guess what I’m trying to say is that I believe whatever it is, is some kind of “real” thing that will eventually have some definitive explanation that is scientific. But in fact, it seems like that’s what “both sides” are saying really, while calling each other names in most cases... not realizing that they’re closer in idea than they think...

a reply to: Krahzeef_Ukhar

edit on 19-6-2018 by nicevillegrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2018 @ 02:06 AM
link   
I find tbat interesting as well and same here. I’ve also noticed that it tends to “effect” those closest to you the same. No matter rhe age.

a reply to: onthedownlow

posted on Jun, 19 2018 @ 02:19 AM
link   
I have almost perfect recall in “general” situations - grocery lists word for word, phone numbers, discussions (that can be verified via recorded conference calls) and even things written in letter from as far back as several years ago (also verifiable). I’ve thought about this a lot (as a multi “ME experiencer”) and have tested my recall certain ways while trying to figure this out too. An example... I can picture certain photos from my high school yearbook (1987) and pulled it out to check my memory. Spot on.

I’n not saying that to “brag” at all (believe me, I have plenty not-so-great flaws that balance out my great memory). My point is just that if this is a memory thing, my personal experiences have proven to me it’s different than just garden-variety “faulty memory.”

Not saying it’s NOT memory related somehow... but if it’s neurological I think there’s more to it than JUST bad memory.

You don’t have to believe me. I’m just sharing my experience if you wish to consider it. But I’m not saying it’s time travel either. I don’t know what it is... but for those of us who experience it, it’s weird. I actually find it rather fascinating - like a puzzle I REALLY want to solve.

a reply to: OccamsRazor04

posted on Jun, 19 2018 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Does anyone know if there has been any research (formal or informal) into ME's using people with eidetic memories? Such a study would be especially helpful if the subjects were generally in the same age group. If one of those with an eidetic memory experienced a different memory of (say) the Challenger incident, could we then move past name calling and blaming "faulty memory" to try to figure out what's happening?

posted on Jun, 19 2018 @ 08:49 AM
link   

I thought the challenger disaster was 85. My older brother's yearbook from 84-85 school year had pictures of it in a "year in review" sections on the inside covers, front and back, of the year book.

posted on Jun, 19 2018 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa
Because the Mandela Effect is a made up excuse to explain a poor memory to people that think the universe revolves around them and they could never be wrong.
Simple.
:-)

Ok. I think this is as much delusional as the non-believers (of Mandela effect) think about Mandela effect believers.

My memory is far from perfect. I don't need an excuse for it, sometimes i just forget stuff or remember them wrong. I, and i can speak also from a few others behalf, we are not unique snowflakes, our memories are not immune to failure. And more often than not, we would have not wanted to experience the changes. Universe does not revolve around me. And the last time i was wrong about something, was about 20 minutes ago.

That seems like a defense mechanism, what you just wrote.

posted on Jun, 19 2018 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

Aren't we already there?

Of course not. We are in a perpetual state of now. You cant go back to yesterday.

posted on Jun, 19 2018 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: wickd_waze

I thought the challenger disaster was 85. My older brother's yearbook from 84-85 school year had pictures of it in a "year in review" sections on the inside covers, front and back, of the year book.

O.O You're sure? If it was 85, it might have been early on, like January-ish. Hard to tell in FL. There's 2 seasons there: hot, and hotter.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join