It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coal isn't great again...yet another Trump failure

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 06:11 AM
link   
a reply to: gariac

What is replacing fossil fuels?

- the power grid is a mish mash of several smaller grids. You cannot transfer power from Texas to NY.
- wind and solar either need to be used as generated, or stored. Storing energy is the issue. Battery banks just cost to much fo national deployment, and carry their own environmental issues and combustion risks.
- on the hottest days windmills stand still
- nuclear has proven to be a nightmare. We cannot trust ourselves to build plants safely.

I have a hard time seeing the next energy solution on the horizon.

link   

originally posted by: dragonridr

This makes no sense the article suggests some how shutting down old plants using coal effects anything. From a business standpoint only makes sense to continue using these plants they would need to be overhauled. And why would you spend money to keep a coal plant operating when you can change to natural gas. The US has so much natural gas prices are extremely cheap and wont rise until we switch europeans to American natural gas.

What this company is doing is trying to get the government to pay for plant renovations. Coal sales are increasing to countries like china and columbia.

The article also lies implying the closing of these plants will somehow cause coal to stop being mined. The demand for coal has continued to increase under Trump by 7.8 percent. Hes removed restrictions on exports and demand will continue to increase from asia and south America. The issue Trump has is the dependence on natural gas. If we switch our entire power grid natural gas pipelines become a major target. For example there are 5 main hubs for distribution. Destruction of any one of these would mean several states wont have electricity.

Also Australia export coal to China.

link   
a reply to: Cancerwarrior

Immigrants kids are just poor victims of Trump, meanwhile kids not born are perfectly ok to kill.

If they did not commit a crime, why are they being punished? Don't worry: once you get used to treating children like cattle their lives become subject to cost benefit analysis... and culling becomes a viable option.

Besides, Trump is merely enforcing the immigration laws laid out by Hussein. Enforcing the laws is the mans job.

That is a lie, of course. But that's off topic. Your response does prove der Beobachter's point, however. Just because you like the direction things are going does not mean that is the best direction for the country. The Nazis were great for some Germans for a little while, but the inexorable logic of the regime's choices destroyed millions of lives by the end. Now, back to clean, beautiful coal.

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 06:14 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

It's out there. The problem is "liberal" propaganda against the nuclear industry.

link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

I noticed you failed to mention the insane bile also spewed out by trump supporters, once again both sides are complicit and one side blames the other in a never ending cycle of insanity.

link   

originally posted by: Oldtimer2

What a petty statement,typical of a liberal,they see progress and changes for the good of country,laws being abided,to them this is what ever adjective that they care to stick to a stigma,he is doing good things,they percieve as bad,how ignorant

I get the point you are trying to convey but change can be good if utilized properly. A sudden change is when things go down hill. I am all for conservative views but do not be afraid of change. If humans lived afraid of change we would be stuck in a time that I am sure most would not enjoy living in. My 2 cents

link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: JinMI

Well is it a fallacy?

Both nationalist movements were started from a basis of creating a false idea of what it meant to be from a place or a citizen of it, both determined, despite good sense and morality arguing against it, that certain people were to be distrusted purely because of their nation of birth, or their religious or ethnic background, idiotic eugenicist nonsense gets spouted by the mouthpieces of both movements. Hitler had psychological maladjustments relating to his inferiority, expressing itself as his determination that he would become supreme in the eyes of his people. Trump has a malignant narcissistic trait, which makes him desire the adoration and attention of the people, and has determined that the best way to get that adoration, is to deliberately alienate large portions of the citizens and residents of the United States, so that he can play the hardman to the other half.

Both movements separated children from their parents, both movements lied about their motivations for doing so, both movements used law to hide behind, while violating the human rights of people within their borders, both movements ignored due process, and changed the law or the narrative so that no one would cotton on to that move, and both movements considered it right and just because it was all in the aid of defence of the country, from a threat which did not actually exist. Both movements claimed invasion, where no invasion was occurring. Both movements claimed that a certain demographic were the source of all the countries problems, despite both countries being responsible for their own downfall, and no one else. Both movements were more interested in appearing powerful, than actually aiding the workers, and neither movement can objectively be said to have been started with unity rather than division in mind.

The only thing that differs with the Trump administration and the movement which ushered him into office, is that the concentration camps have not yet been opened, and the mass murder has not yet begun. That is literally the only difference.

Hope you have your BOB and an exit plan.

Or hunker down and fight!

Unless you are some kind of guard at these camps.

Tree blood and all that good #.

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 06:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001

To roughly translate, the economy has taken a massive upswing. Alternative energy sources are back into the fold and technology has advanced far enough that these businesses think they be able to finally turn a proper profit from obtaining and distributing energy by other means.

You missed the point. Trump carried the Rust Belt by lying about coal. It was never clean or beautiful. Unemployed coal miners and steel workers, many of whom are now drug addicts, voted for him in the hopes that Trump would revive nineteenth century technologies. Those technologies are obsolete for a reason: they are no longer economically viable. The question, as usual, is: was Trump deliberately lying, or is he delusional? Meanwhile, the number of unemployed in the Rust Belt is dwindling as blue collar workers die of overdoses. MAGA?

Meh. While it is true MI, OH, and WV (part of the Rust Belt and where several of these parent companies operate) have a depressingly high number of people taking a dirt nap because of Opioids/Opiates, it’s (Opioid Age/Epidemic — it’s gonna become anproper noun/title like the ‘Gilded Age’) not in isolation; from a per capita high in New Hampshire (surely not coal country, eh?) to giving out free dope in the Pacific NW, it’s a problem EVERYWHERE.

I thought that was a bit below the belt...ya know, trying to tie Trump and drug addiction together. Carry on.

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 06:15 AM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

I'm a licensed steam engineer and know more than a little about coal.

America is self sufficient now. We export oil and LNG

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 06:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed
a reply to: eriktheawful

I noticed you failed to mention the insane bile also spewed out by trump supporters, once again both sides are complicit and one side blames the other in a never ending cycle of insanity.

Nope. I did mention it.

Please go back and re-read my post.

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 06:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn
a reply to: DerBeobachter

You know when you go straight to Hitler you have nothing intelligent to add to the discussion.

You are proving his point by refusing to look at it. It is not just about the economy, it is about the health of the institutions that protect citizens like you and me. Prisons for children? Seriously? You're okay with that?

Yeah like the fbi and doj?

I know dogs with cancer in better health than they are.

link   
a reply to: DJW001

Thorium is worth exploring if its as low radioactive as im to understand.

link   

originally posted by: dragonridr
a reply to: TrueBrit

Wages have increased 4.8 percent in 12 months. And do to low unemployment the estimates for the next 12 months is expected to double. This disadvantage is that is a huge indication of inflation so the feds going to have to work overtime to reign that in.

Assuming that they want their growth figures to reflect real, rather than illusory growth. If the economy "expands" by 4% with an inflation rate of 5%, they can still claim they have doubled the rate of the past two administrations.

You just beat dead horses again do some research on the economy. In 2017 finished the year at 2.14% ,So far in 2018 2.54%, predicted for 2019 2.44%. So growth by far is outpacing inflation.

Again don't bash Trump on the economy we havnt seen numbers like this since the 50s.

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 06:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

Well is it a fallacy?

Both nationalist movements were started from a basis of creating a false idea of what it meant to be from a place or a citizen of it, both determined, despite good sense and morality arguing against it, that certain people were to be distrusted purely because of their nation of birth, or their religious or ethnic background, idiotic eugenicist nonsense gets spouted by the mouthpieces of both movements. Hitler had psychological maladjustments relating to his inferiority, expressing itself as his determination that he would become supreme in the eyes of his people. Trump has a malignant narcissistic trait, which makes him desire the adoration and attention of the people, and has determined that the best way to get that adoration, is to deliberately alienate large portions of the citizens and residents of the United States, so that he can play the hardman to the other half.

Both movements separated children from their parents, both movements lied about their motivations for doing so, both movements used law to hide behind, while violating the human rights of people within their borders, both movements ignored due process, and changed the law or the narrative so that no one would cotton on to that move, and both movements considered it right and just because it was all in the aid of defence of the country, from a threat which did not actually exist. Both movements claimed invasion, where no invasion was occurring. Both movements claimed that a certain demographic were the source of all the countries problems, despite both countries being responsible for their own downfall, and no one else. Both movements were more interested in appearing powerful, than actually aiding the workers, and neither movement can objectively be said to have been started with unity rather than division in mind.

The only thing that differs with the Trump administration and the movement which ushered him into office, is that the concentration camps have not yet been opened, and the mass murder has not yet begun. That is literally the only difference.

I'm glad you answered your own question.

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 06:23 AM
link   
So you did, I must have glossed over it.... My apologies.

Well that's interesting I chalked it up to more nonsense " trumps the best drivel." it must be at that point where I just switch off halfway through a post when I see it trump praise ... Gonna have to keep an eye out for that now...

link   

President Obama left the country in good shape.

Really?

www.washingtonpost.com... =on&utm_term=.a86ddbef40ea

Democrats can't win until they recognize how bad Obama's financial policies were.
He had opportunities to help the working class, and he passed them up.

www.weeklystandard.com...

The recent release of anemic quarterly economic-growth numbers for 2016 has revived the debate over the Obama economy. Some say it has been okay; some say it has been lousy. In truth, the economy under President Barack Obama has been historically bad. How bad? Adjusted for inflation, average yearly GDP growth under President Obama has been less than half of what it was under President Jimmy Carter, 1.5 percent to 3.3 percent.

nypost.com...

Last week the Commerce Department released its third revision for fourth-quarter 2016 gross domestic product. The number came in at a paltry 2.1 percent, meaning that growth during President Obama’s final year in office — the end of an “Error of Hope” — landed with a big thud at just 1.6 percent. That low-water mark puts the Obama presidency in last place among all the post-World War II presidents when it comes to economic growth.

link   

a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

It's out there. The problem is "liberal" propaganda against the nuclear industry.

If you truly know anything about thorium, you know it’ll never happen. Great in theory.

Don’t bother reminding of Oak Ridge — a colleague from 5-6 years ago got some IR&D funds and looked into and I did the LCOE for him.

The best geopolitical and economic take on nuclear power still comes out of the Havard Kennedy School.
edit on 18-6-2018 by BeefNoMeat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 06:24 AM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

You just beat dead horses again do some research on the economy. In 2017 finished the year at 2.14% ,So far in 2018 2.54%, predicted for 2019 2.44%. So growth by far is outpacing inflation.

Congress just passed a budget with the largest deficit of all time. This will spur inflation. We can continue this discussion in FY2019.

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Really?

You think its the mass murder part that changes the dynamic? What the hell is wrong with you? The crap that Hitler was up to BEFORE that stuff kicked off in earnest, was wrong, dead wrong, and it would have been dead wrong even if he had never moved forward with the final solution idea. It would still have been morally, ethically and criminally wrong, and so is this nonsense now. The only difference is how far it has been allowed to go, and ANY travel on that path is grounds for revolution against the government, against the movement. You do NOT even TRY that crap in the modern age, otherwise what you get is what you deserve, which to be blunt, is the absolute annihilation of those enacting these outrages.

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 06:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cancerwarrior

Is this the best you never trumpers can come up with?

Looks to me like the man has taken off time from being Adolph Hitler to actually get snip done.

At first it was comical, all of the trump bashing, then it was annoying, now you people have exposed yourselves as just a sad pathetic hate filled lot who counts on the mockingbird media to tell you what to think and believe.

Energy sector will do nothing but continue to get better.

Go ahead and keep hatin’....Trump will keep making the country great again.

You heard he had two scoops of ice cream right? The audacity!!

Dude, they won’t accept an extra scoop even for free.

They will try and sue even if Their flavor doesn’t exist.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join