It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coal isn't great again...yet another Trump failure

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2018 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

BS.

Back up this claim that its a misrepresentation of the law.

posted on Jun, 19 2018 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

LOS ANGELES — A federal judge in San Diego on Wednesday refused to dismiss a lawsuit challenging the Trump administration’s practice of taking children from immigrants when they arrive at the border to seek asylum, ruling that the “wrenching separation” of families may violate the Constitution’s guarantees of due process.

“Such conduct, if true, as it is assumed to be on the present motion, is brutal, offensive, and fails to comport with traditional notions of fair play and decency,” Judge Dana M. Sabraw of the Southern District of California wrote in his 25-page opinion.

The judge rejected the government’s claim that the practice of family separations — one of the most controversial features of the government’s crackdown on illegal immigration — cannot be challenged on constitutional grounds, though he did dismiss a separate challenge claiming that the practice violates asylum laws..

Family Separation at Border May Be Subject to Constitutional Challenge, Judge Rules

posted on Jun, 19 2018 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Wardaddy454

Businessinsider already did so, find the article somewhere in my posts and keep ignoring it?

posted on Jun, 19 2018 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: PublicOpinion

And that seems the appropriate venue for laws, or the application of laws found to be unconstitutional. If the judge felt strongly about the issue an injunction to stop the misapplication could be issued.
Civics, its not taught in school systems anymore.

posted on Jun, 19 2018 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: Xtrozero
So, where's the part about Hillary starting it?
Other than what Trump said.

Who knows...are all the facts on the table? Do we just Google and that is everything? I don't know. Trump knows the Clintons rather well, so maybe he knows more. Hillary did not come out in public and say it so we have that, but whether or not her group worked to propagate it and she purposely ignored it, approved of it, was happy to see it as an advantage we will never know because, of course, she would come out and say otherwise, which then becomes Google fact whether or not it is true.

One thing I do know and I don't expect you to agree with is my personal dealings with a good number of people that I know who worked around the Clintons in the 90s and my living in Little Rock from 1999 to 2003 is that I would not trust her with anything. She is a life time politician who is very different outside the camera. She knows what to say for the moment, so do I think she knew about it and would have been happy if it had a chance to bear fruit, sure.

edit on 19-6-2018 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2018 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: gariac

They will buy it when they have no power going to their home. It's just a minor waiting game. I play it with my dog all the time when he doesn't like what I feed him...he eventually caves when he realizes he has no choice. The Liberals are no different than dogs.

posted on Jun, 19 2018 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Coal was $40 a short ton when Trump took office. It had dropped slightly lower previous. Today the price is $60.60.

Exports are up.

Seems like coal is doing okay to me?

posted on Jun, 19 2018 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: RadioRobert
Coal was $40 a short ton when Trump took office. It had dropped slightly lower previous. Today the price is $60.60.

Exports are up.

Seems like coal is doing okay to me?

Haha. Coal peaked in 2008. Perhaps you need to change the X axis.

posted on Jun, 19 2018 @ 12:55 PM
link   
So because the price has risen some 50% (truly a remarkable return) after stagnating for years at $40 under the previous administration, it is in your view dying because it has not reached 2008 levels? Remarkable analysis. Please give me a heads up on other dying industries that forecast a 50% increase in value over the next year and a half! I'm interested.

posted on Jun, 19 2018 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: IlluminatiTechnician
a reply to: gariac

They will buy it when they have no power going to their home. It's just a minor waiting game. I play it with my dog all the time when he doesn't like what I feed him...he eventually caves when he realizes he has no choice. The Liberals are no different than dogs.

Anyone who's argument relies on insults lacks the capacity and mental acuity to participate in a discussion in any worthwhile manner.

Its also telling that you relate your fellow human beings to animals, which I would imagine goes a long way into explaining your current (likely very twisted) worldview.

posted on Jun, 19 2018 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: gariac
www.bloomberg.com...

Well this company might keep buying coal if the government pays them:

Columbus, Ohio-based American Electric Power Company Inc. said it is likely to seek approval from regulators to shut its three-unit, 1,600 megawatt coal-fired power plant in Conesville, Ohio if it doesn’t qualify for subsidies or “there are not other changes in the market,” company spokeswoman Tammy Ridout said in phone interview.

Here is another company giving Trump the one finger salute:

“I will tell you it is not a matter of if we are going to retire our coal fleet in this nation, it’s just a matter of when,” Ben Fowke, Xcel Energy Inc.’s chief executive officer, said June 6 at a utility trade group conference. The company announced later that day that it would retire two coal-fired units in Colorado and add thousands of megawatts of capacity from renewable power and natural gas.

But hey, what they still call the GOP runs all three branches of government. Surely they can make companies buy coal by legislation. Uh nope:

And there is doubt, too, that the administration’s use of rarely used emergency authority will withstand court challenges.

“We don’t think it’s legal,” Abe Silverman, head of regulatory affairs for power producer NRG Energy Inc., said in a phone interview. The Energy Department didn’t respond to a request for comment.

Well self-professed deplorables...how does it feel to be duped? Please don't burn your MAGA. That can be dangerous. Just toss them in the trash where they belong.

Look, Trump and anyone who favors capitalism wants the best cheapest solution for energy to win out.

If there are cheaper, better energy resources that is great. Trumps whole problem was that is not why coal was shut down - it was that it was shut down by government regulations.

The difference is capitalists want the market to make the decision not government. This is not a failure for Trump no matter how you want to paint it. It actually is a good thing for humanity as cleaner energy is now available even cheaper.

posted on Jun, 19 2018 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: proximo

www.bloomberg.com...

Well this company might keep buying coal if the government pays them:

Columbus, Ohio-based American Electric Power Company Inc. said it is likely to seek approval from regulators to shut its three-unit, 1,600 megawatt coal-fired power plant in Conesville, Ohio if it doesn’t qualify for subsidies or “there are not other changes in the market,” company spokeswoman Tammy Ridout said in phone interview.

Here is another company giving Trump the one finger salute:

“I will tell you it is not a matter of if we are going to retire our coal fleet in this nation, it’s just a matter of when,” Ben Fowke, Xcel Energy Inc.’s chief executive officer, said June 6 at a utility trade group conference. The company announced later that day that it would retire two coal-fired units in Colorado and add thousands of megawatts of capacity from renewable power and natural gas.

But hey, what they still call the GOP runs all three branches of government. Surely they can make companies buy coal by legislation. Uh nope:

And there is doubt, too, that the administration’s use of rarely used emergency authority will withstand court challenges.

“We don’t think it’s legal,” Abe Silverman, head of regulatory affairs for power producer NRG Energy Inc., said in a phone interview. The Energy Department didn’t respond to a request for comment.

Well self-professed deplorables...how does it feel to be duped? Please don't burn your MAGA. That can be dangerous. Just toss them in the trash where they belong.

Look, Trump and anyone who favors capitalism wants the best cheapest solution for energy to win out.

If there are cheaper, better energy resources that is great. Trumps whole problem was that is not why coal was shut down - it was that it was shut down by government regulations.

The difference is capitalists want the market to make the decision not government. This is not a failure for Trump no matter how you want to paint it. It actually is a good thing for humanity as cleaner energy is now available even cheaper.

Trump promised Coal would make a comeback, and coal jobs would come back.

They're not, and they haven't.

While clean energy supplanting dirty energy is unequivocally a good thing, it does not change the fact that Trump's campaign promise to reinvigorate the coal industry and concurrently those jobs, has been/is a failure.

posted on Jun, 19 2018 @ 02:50 PM
link   

So because the price has risen some 50% (truly a remarkable return) after stagnating for years at $40 under the previous administration, it is in your view dying because it has not reached 2008 levels? Remarkable analysis. Please give me a heads up on other dying industries that forecast a 50% increase in value over the next year and a half! I'm interested.

Please praise Obama for the 2009 rise of coal. Come on, you can do it!

posted on Jun, 19 2018 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Looks like 3500 jobs have been added from the October 2016 total of 49,700. That's not a great deal of jobs, but it is an increase. The industry itself, however, seems to be stabilizing nicely after all the bankruptcies in 2015.

The abundance of cheap natural gas is going to limit production for domestic production. That's good news all around.

Exports continue humming:

In the US export market this week, a CFR deal for Northern Appalachia coal, basis 6,900 kcal/kg, for August loading was heard at a price greater than $110/mt.

NAPP coal continues to price into India as a result of relatively high coal prices, as well as ongoing uncertainty around the country’s proposed ban on certain petcoke consumption...

US thermal coal exports this year total 15.9 million mt through April, and would total 47.7 million mt on an annualized basis, which would the highest since 2012.

“The barge guys are starting to smell blood in the water, the freight guys; everyone wants a piece of the API2,” said an Illinois Basin source.

dated yesterday

posted on Jun, 19 2018 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: RadioRobert

Coal mining job improvement lackluster at best.

posted on Jun, 19 2018 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Please praise Obama for the 2009 rise of coal. Come on, you can do it!

Thhe 2008-9 costs came as a result of the oil crisis in 2008 which saw transportation costs skyrocket. It was also helped by international markets, as this latest rise.

I am not praising Trump as much as I am evaluating your claim that coal recently died and Trump is to be somehow blamed.

Obama was certainly not friendly to coal. He introduced many rounds of new regulations on the industry while he sent play money to cronies like Solyndra. I don't think he got a reputation as aggressively anti-coal for no reason. I think most people would be able to agree with that fact of disposition, even if they agree there may be solid rationalizations behind it (ie artificially stifling coal as an industry would result in higher demand for other cleaner, developing industries).

posted on Jun, 19 2018 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Coal mining job improvement lackluster at best.

Yes, those are the 3500 jobs since October 2016. Congratulations on finding a graph.

posted on Jun, 19 2018 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Yes. I am showing the Trump failure explicitly.

posted on Jun, 19 2018 @ 03:51 PM
link   
How is a greater than seven percent growth in jobs in a year and a half an explicit failure? The same sort of failure that sees 50% growth in commodity value?
edit on 19-6-2018 by RadioRobert because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2018 @ 04:06 PM
link   

How is a greater than seven percent growth in jobs in a year and a half an explicit failure? The same sort of failure that sees 50% growth in commodity value?

Market fluctuations are not growth. Don't give up your day job! Well unless you want to do stand up.

The employment growth, if it was actually a trend, would take a decade to reach parity. With luck, Trump will be gone in a year.

Trump's lack of popularity is the impetus into alternative energy and away from coal. With Trump's dim future, would you increase capex in mining?

Trump's election was a fluke. He lost the popular vote by three million. An unfortunate collection of 80k votes put this garbage in the White House. It is not likely to happen again. And with luck, Trump, Cohen, and Jared will be on the same cell block.

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join