It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smoked Corned Beef

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Maxatoria

Sounds like something different.

This is a brined cut of beef brisket. It's been brined in spices and then smoked on a wood smoker.

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 03:55 PM
link   
You have no idea how good that sounds to a man who ate a can of Hormel potted meat, 'America's Favorite!' and crackers for lunch.
I offered some to a stray dog and it refused to eat it.
I know a guy who makes the finest pastrami in all the land.
He is very secretive about his recipe. I have gathered it is a week long process.
No nitrates or nitrites.
edit on 17-6-2018 by skunkape23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

sounds like a good thing, probably we're thinking over here of the corned beef in a tin with its various local nicknames so not the same thing by the looks of things. If it ends up looking like something from a WW1 trench then we're heading closer.

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Oh like smoked Corned Beef Hash?

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 05:33 PM
link   

No, this is sliced fabulous-ness! It's unbelievable. Yes, we could chop it up for "corned beef hash" and eggs, but the first order of business is to just EAT IT!!

So, tonight we will have sammiches for dinner. We will have "Cloak & Dagger" sammiches, and we will have "Reubens" with sauerkraut.

And...until you've eaten a "Cloak & Dagger" sammich, you haven't eaten a sammich at all...EVAR!!

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

Potted meat and Vienna Sausages were a childhood staple.

@OP: Nice work.

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 05:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

No, this is sliced fabulous-ness! It's unbelievable. Yes, we could chop it up for "corned beef hash" and eggs, but the first order of business is to just EAT IT!!

So, tonight we will have sammiches for dinner. We will have "Cloak & Dagger" sammiches, and we will have "Reubens" with sauerkraut.

And...until you've eaten a "Cloak & Dagger" sammich, you haven't eaten a sammich at all...EVAR!!

So it came out good huh? I am going to try this. I have done beef brisket and pork shoulder and butts. Never thought of this though.

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 06:20 PM
link   
whats a cloak and dagger ?
edit on 17-6-2018 by Meldionne1 because: Unsuccessful upload

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Meldionne1

"Cloak & Dagger" = Corned beef on rye, with coleslaw melted Swiss cheese and thousand island dressing.

It's like a Reuben x50!!!

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 08:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Disenchanted1

It was really good, but I"m a critic. There are things I would have liked better.

To do again, I would probably cook it longer at a lower temp...like a LOT longer! The taste was fabulous, and the color was spectacular, but it was a little firmer than I would have liked, honestly.

I am the worst critic of my own food, and brutally honest.

For sandwich meat I thought it was fantastic, but i was hoping for more. It was likely better than anything you would ever get in a NY deli, but I think it could have been better.

Brisket is a challenging cut of meat to cook properly. There's a lot of connective tissue in the meat and it has to be cooked a really long time. The trick with brisket is, low and slow...and, it's REALLY hard to stay that "low" for such a long time!

There was a great corned beef taste to the meat, but the smoke was distant and elusive (for the time it took). I could taste it, but it didn't jump out at you. I was afraid to dry smoke it too much more for fear of drying it out, and it wasn't dry.

The sauce was a big hit. The Vidallia onions and mustard with the hard cider was fantastic. I could have cooked it in just that, in a crock pot and it would have been off the rails.

It was fantastic, but there was room for improvement.

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 12:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

pics or it didn't happen

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 07:39 AM
link   
I do this all the time. Amazing stuff.

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: Meldionne1

"Cloak & Dagger" = Corned beef on rye, with coleslaw melted Swiss cheese and thousand island dressing.

It's like a Reuben x50!!!

Try it with Russian dressing. It would be appropriate based on the name.
Equal parts ketchup, mayo, and mustard, horseradish, chopped pimentos, chives, and sweet pickle relish.
Grilled onions will only add to the experience.
Play the 'Mission Impossible' theme in your head while you eat it.
edit on 18-6-2018 by skunkape23 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join