It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nanny State Warning - UK to ban ALL online knife sales

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

It is, indeed.

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

How does a totalitarian tip toe??

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Kurokage

Thread title was Nanny State Warning - UK to ban all online knife sales

How is that click bait? Is it because I didn’t say to home addresses cos that’s a stretch.

www.independent.co.uk...

www.togknives.com...

www.express.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
a reply to: rickymouse

Agreed, except for the bit about our societies going downhill, mine is as nice as it has always been, I wouldn't change it for the world.
Some of the areas of the UK have lots of great people in them. I suppose it is like here in America, the criminals live in the capitol city and try to trick the government into giving them money using bribes. Is London full of those high paid leaches too?

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 10:32 AM
link   

You do exactly what they've done both in the UK, and here in the States. You nibble away, 3" blade is legal to carry, 6" is not, unless under certain circumstance...must be a folder, not fixed. Or, 10 rds., can't have 15 rd magazines anymore. You very carefully skirt what the majority will accepts, while attempting to, here in the States, marginalize those who disagree.

That's the Totalitarian Tip-toe.

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: DrBobH

UK to ban all online knife sales

How is that click bait?

emboldened by me....
Knife sales aren't being banned though, are they!!

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kurokage

originally posted by: DBCowboy
They can have my sharp pointy things when they can pry it from my cold dead hands!

Is that 'cause you Americans cant be trusted not to accidently stab yourselves!!

Well. . . they are sharp and pointy!

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

I still own a Katana, had one for years after practicing Japanese martial arts, never had anyone knock my door and try to take it from me!?!?

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Well, if we only have pointy wooden sticks at least the Vampire problem will be finally sorted.

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 10:42 AM
link   

The operative word is "yet".

No, they're not, save in certain situations, doing it here in the States, either, again, yet. I asked this a bit ago, can you with absolute certainty, say that there aren't folks, even groups of folks, who would be ecstatic if the laws allowed them to do just that? There certainly are here...I've heard them say it with my own two ears, and read their words.

I like being able to have any tool I may need right to hand as necessary. Be it a knife of some sort, or a handgun, or even a knitting needle that someone mentioned earlier in this thread--which goes a long ways towards revealing the ultimate futility of this process. People are inventive. Sharp objects are easy to make. Easy to conceal. Wouldn't it be better to deal with the actual problems, rather than the tools?

Maybe the UK is different?

ETA: I own two, as well. I have a, I suppose one could call it a fixation, love of sharp pointy objects, be they knives, spears, or even the odd knitting needle
... A law like this here in the states would be most annoying.
edit on 6/17/2018 by seagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 10:47 AM
link   

First off, Devil's advocate and all that it's not ALL online knife sales. Knives can still be purchased online if they are shipped to commercial addresses. I haven't seen anything to suggest anyone who operates a business from their home will be included in this van (or excluded for that matter). This is key as there are a helluva lot of us that use knives profesionally (when landscapping I use box cutters to cut string lines, cement and sand bags and to sharpen my pencil to mark slabs for cutting. I also carry a lock knife which I use for making holes and sometimes as a pin for my sting line) and, for those people getting a knife would still be very easy (almost everyone knows at least one business owner (I know a LOT, a handful of whom would likely happy take delivery of a knife for me).

So Devilish Advocacy out the way, as I mentioned o work as a landscaper just now and, although I hlcarry a couple of knives (one on the cusp of illegal blade size and a Stanley) now, I've been questioned about the size of my blade before by police (oo err missus) and they found it's at the limit of what you're allowed to carry, length-wise. When he told me i couldn't carry a longer blade my response was "that's ok, I've got a folding saw, a chainsaw, a Stihl saw and an angle grinder, just in case anyone p!sses me off!". I guess my response would have been different if the on duty officer wasn't someone I've known since before he was a copper but he saw my point.

edit on 17/6/18 by djz3ro because: damn autocorrect *shakes fist*

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 10:49 AM
link   

I can't leave home without one, I feel naked. And gosh, you know what? I've never stabbed anyone!! Can you believe that??? Holy mackerel!

Seriously though, if I leave the house without my Benchmade or my Leatherman, I will turn around and go back to get it. I couldn't even imagine how to count how many times I've needed it for one thing or another. In fact, my LM practically saved my life one day in a pinch, and it definitely saved the life of one of my cows (a story I"ve told here previously)! If I wouldn't have had it on me she would have been a goner for sure.

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 10:49 AM
link   

**phew**

I was some worried about that. Damned, dirty vampires! Always out to cause a ruckus.

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
a reply to: rickymouse

Agreed, except for the bit about our societies going downhill, mine is as nice as it has always been, I wouldn't change it for the world.
Some of the areas of the UK have lots of great people in them. I suppose it is like here in America, the criminals live in the capitol city and try to trick the government into giving them money using bribes. Is London full of those high paid leaches too?

Most definitely!
My corner of the UK is massively different to London or any of the major cities, we are rural in the main, dead in winter, everyone knows everyone, but rammed with tourists in the summer like now.
Our drug dealers work well with each other, rarely any violence except if someone rips someone else off.
London is a #hole with #ty thug gangsta wannabe's. Even the Eastern European smuggling gangs are a positive part of our community now, well integrated, and chilled out like everyone else. They just bring dodgy stuff in and trade in contraband goods.

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

My 3" folder goes every where with me, too. I used to have a really good Leatherman, but I put it down somewhere, and someone decided they needed a really good Leatherman.

**poof** Gone. Just haven't gotten around to replacing it. I really should.
edit on 6/17/2018 by seagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

I can't leave home without one, I feel naked. And gosh, you know what? I've never stabbed anyone!! Can you believe that??? Holy mackerel!

Seriously though, if I leave the house without my Benchmade or my Leatherman, I will turn around and go back to get it. I couldn't even imagine how to count how many times I've needed it for one thing or another. In fact, my LM practically saved my life one day in a pinch, and it definitely saved the life of one of my cows (a story I"ve told here previously)! If I wouldn't have had it on me she would have been a goner for sure.

Almost all the boys in school had pocketknives when I was young back in the sixties. Boyscouts were always prepared, you never knew when you would have had to cut a shoelace when in school. Even the girls carried knives in their pruses.

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 10:59 AM
link   

The UK that was once protected by the sword will soon have to register butterknives, American which was won and is protected by the gun of which the rights of ownership are continually stripped away piece by piece, irony much?

I have to thank our brothers and sisters across the pond for hopefully your plight is a wake up call to our own people. Sorry for your troubles.
edit on 6/17/2018 by TheLead because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 11:01 AM
link   

"At the moment" this is aimed at children or more accurately teenage boys buying knives (weapons), more so acid. With my teenage years firmly behind me (sadly) I have had absolutely no problems with restricting access to certain types of knives, like "zombie" knives, as long as this doesn't affect an adult, but in all reality who needs to own a two foot "zombie" style knife? America has problems with teenage boys shooting up schools, if they concentrated on restricting access for certain "unwell" teenagers and fine their parents for leaving weapons around the house for said teens to easily take it could help, sometimes the law can be an ass but at least they are trying to curtail a problem rather than blame political bias.

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: djz3ro

I’d already conceded the point that they can still be ordered for delivery to business addresses. To clarify I was referring to knives purchased by private citizens for personal not commercial use.

Kitchen knives for example are primarily bought for home use rather than business - there are just more homes than restaurants.

Not everyone is a business owner or can get them delivered to a work address.

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 11:08 AM
link   

They're trying to curtail the problem ay? You mean initiating the second portion of the plan? Denigrate society by influx of multiculturalism, to then use peoples outrage to chip away at their rights?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join