It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nanny State Warning - UK to ban ALL online knife sales

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I do blame Mick Crocodile Dundee for the whole my knife is bigger than yours thing. Thanks Australia 🇦🇺

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a reply to: DrBobH

I guess they have never heard of shanks, or is that a good ol USA prison invention? With something as simple as a friggin tooth brush and some concrete to sharpen it you can easily make a lethal weapon. Will they ban ice picks next? Come on, anyone with an IQ of 10 or higher can figure out how to make something sharp enough to kill or maim... where has common sense gone?

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 09:27 AM
link   

There should be a large knife market opening up then. Only problem is these moron londoners will be feeding cash to black market criminals/US sellers compared to legitimate UK businesses. Typical leftist agenda though, very anti-business and anti-profit.

More failed liberal ideas. Stop trying to come up with "ideas" lefties, they're complete washouts (just like yourselves)

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I can't for the life of me find where it states knives will be banned????? Lots of propaganda and news "stories" but so far, just a proposal of stricter sales to "try" and stop under 18's.

A consultation on tougher stop and search powers

I also don't see any "ban" on stop & search instead they want tougher powers!!
People seem to post any old rubbish on ATS these days.

edit on 17-6-2018 by Kurokage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

This isn't about "lefties". The goverment in Britian at the moment is right wing conservatism not liberal!!
edit on 17-6-2018 by Kurokage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 09:39 AM
link   

The OP was about new laws restricting the online sales of knives - it’s drifted a little since then.

The laws regarding carrying knives in the UK is long established and was expanded to cover ‘offensive weapons’. I joke not when I say there was an arrest not far from here when someone was threatened with a dildo. From memory you used to be able to carry upto a 6 inch fixed blade. This was rediced to 3 inch folding years later in the 90’s.

There were subsequent restrictions brought in on zombie knives and samurai swords when they were poularised and symbols in gang culture. In my opinion these can be considered ornamental or even art and shouldn’t be illegal to own. However why you need to be walking round the streets of Croydon with a samurai sword is beyond comprehension.

For me this isn’t about changing the law regarding carrying knives. It’s the restriction on purchasing and owning them. It’s stupid and as many posters have said what’s the point when you can just go to a shop and buy one. The guys carrying them aren’t going to hack through undergrowth or sit and whittle some. They carry them for one purpose.

Your 2nd amendment rights grant you the right to bear arms so the situations are very different. Pretty much everything is outlawed here and has been for a long time - it’s crap. There are pressure groups in the US trying to ban various types of assault rifles - again a different situation as those rights are enshrined in law.

In summary

1) the new law restricting knife sales is stupid and won’t work
2) there is an issue with knife crime in London that is primarily social
3) there are some types of knives that you can not justify walking round with in public
4) punishment and policing is too soft

That’s the point I was trying to make

Bob

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Kurokage

This isn't about "lefties". The goverment in Britian at the moment is right wing conservatism not liberal!!

Trust me, they're not conservative or right wing. They may call themselves that, but they are no more "right wing" than losers like John McCain or Jeff Flake are "right wing"

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 09:42 AM
link   

There were subsequent restrictions brought in on zombie knives and samurai swords when they were poularised and symbols in gang culture.

So, they ban them across the board instead of targeting the loser gangs/criminals who are the real problems? How about, you leave law abiding people alone (and let them own whatever weapon they want) and make a mandatory life/death sentence for any criminal possessing any weapon for any reason.

problem solved.

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Lol talk about archaic, lawmaking. England, what the hell is going on over there? Serious crime increases on the rise and the police can’t solve the crimes, so they want to disarm their population because of that? 😮 time to leave folks.
edit on 17-6-2018 by Bicent because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 09:46 AM
link   

The OP was about new laws restricting the online sales of knives - it’s drifted a little since then.

The laws regarding carrying knives in the UK is long established and was expanded to cover ‘offensive weapons’. I joke not when I say there was an arrest not far from here when someone was threatened with a dildo. From memory you used to be able to carry upto a 6 inch fixed blade. This was rediced to 3 inch folding years later in the 90’s.

There were subsequent restrictions brought in on zombie knives and samurai swords when they were poularised and symbols in gang culture. In my opinion these can be considered ornamental or even art and shouldn’t be illegal to own. However why you need to be walking round the streets of Croydon with a samurai sword is beyond comprehension.

For me this isn’t about changing the law regarding carrying knives. It’s the restriction on purchasing and owning them. It’s stupid and as many posters have said what’s the point when you can just go to a shop and buy one. The guys carrying them aren’t going to hack through undergrowth or sit and whittle some. They carry them for one purpose.

Your 2nd amendment rights grant you the right to bear arms so the situations are very different. Pretty much everything is outlawed here and has been for a long time - it’s crap. There are pressure groups in the US trying to ban various types of assault rifles - again a different situation as those rights are enshrined in law.

In summary

1) the new law restricting knife sales is stupid and won’t work
2) there is an issue with knife crime in London that is primarily social
3) there are some types of knives that you can not justify walking round with in public
4) punishment and policing is too soft

That’s the point I was trying to make

Bob

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Bicent

Serious crime increases on the rise and the police can’t solve the crimes, so they want to disarm their population because of that?

We can still have hammers , sticks and pitchforks , we'll be fine.

time to leave folks

Have you left the US because people shoot people ?

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 09:55 AM
link   

WRT stop and search they keep changing their minds

Sadiq Khan before election

www.standard.co.uk...

After election

www.independent.co.uk... .html

And apparently doesn’t work

www.independent.co.uk...

It wasn’t banned outright but use of racial profiling to select people for a search was made unacceptable - despite being an unavoidable truth

Edit - the OP was about restrictions on online sales not a blanket ban on knives. Some types are being banned though.
edit on 17-6-2018 by DrBobH because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 09:57 AM
link   

That appears to be the policy with across the board bans.

Happy with the proposed solution

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 09:59 AM
link   

The conservative party here in Britain are right of centre, liberal democrats are more centre and labour is more left. Trust me, it's been like this for generations.

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 10:04 AM
link   

the OP was about restrictions on online sales not a blanket ban on knives.

Thats not what your thread title says though is it!! Just as bloody bad as the media, click bait to enrage!

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 10:18 AM
link   
They can have my sharp pointy things when they can pry it from my cold dead hands!

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Nope.

'course, I wouldn't say no to a cutlass, either.

I can't imagine not being able to carry a good knife. Even if they were outlawed, I probably still would.

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
They can have my sharp pointy things when they can pry it from my cold dead hands!

Is that 'cause you Americans cant be trusted not to accidently stab yourselves!!

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 10:24 AM
link   
totalitarian tip-toe

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Can you honestly say that that isn't what, at the very least, some of those oh, so concerned people want to do?

Just seems to be a penny wise, and a pound foolish to even contemplate this. Ultimately, what good is it going to do? It takes thirty seconds, maybe less, to sharpen something to a lethal point--and one that'll be completely covert.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join