It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nanny State Warning - UK to ban ALL online knife sales

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 06:56 AM
link   
You know what’s ironic about this - I’m being advertised Chubo knives on the side of this story. Trying to get those sales in before this legislation takes effect, most likely.

Poor decision though - not addressing the root issue which is cuts in the police force (which is set to be cut again, apparently) and instead opts for a more immediate and irrational response so it looks as though they’re doing something about it. I doubt we’ll see this decision have any impact on knife crime at all.

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 06:56 AM
link   
a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Lol, cops ignore pot these days in Devon and Cornwall constabulary, they are so under resourced they concentrate on real crime, like violence etc.
They even announced a couple of years ago that they won't take on 'drive-off' crimes from petrol stations anymore unless there is clear evidence of fraud like fake plates on the car. The petrol stations have to go through the civil courts instead.
Honestly, a different world in my parts, but hardly any stabby people because the community will shun you in a heartbeat if you are too pussy to use your fists.

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 06:57 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

It is remarkable what some fresh air and open fields can do for your outlook on life. Sense of community has gone in some parts.

Just sampling some Cornish Helles Lager from The Harbour Brewing Company in Bodmin - damn that’s some good beer!

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 07:07 AM
link   
a reply to: DrBobH

'Tribute' is my favourite brew

...and yes, I massively agree, environment makes such a difference. How can anyone be grumpy enough to stab someone when sat at a beach or a clifftop looking out to sea?
I'm friends with loads of criminals but all decent people who want a chilled life same as the rest of us.
And in ATS fashion, if ever TSHTF and there is societal collapse, I'll be glad to be friends with our criminals because they will be in charge.

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 07:12 AM
link   
a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

The difficulty with stop and search is that it is very difficult to undertake in a way that couldn’t be considered racist.

If you look at the victims of the stabbings in London this year you can see a profile, a lot of these are gang related attacks and few are muggings and the like.

www.theguardian.com...

With a limited police force if stop and search needs to be targeted i.e. profiles and that is essentially racist. As such it’s not allowed and the whole process is ineffective.

So what do you do?

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Why is stop and search racist though when it's combatting stabbings in a mostly black demographic?
We have stop and search here but it's like 98+% white in the winter so are our cops being racist targeting white folk?
It's ridiculous, the elephant in the room is that black youths are stabbing each other more than white youths.

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Shhhh your not allowed to talk that sort of common sense 🍺

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 07:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: DrBobH

Shhhh your not allowed to talk that sort of common sense 🍺

Lol, I know, couldn't help myself, but it's true.#
Same as Gypsies leave a trail of waste and crime when they come here every summer, and Pakistani men are disproprtionately involved in organised rape gangs against white girls.
Black youths in London are more stabby than white youths.

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 07:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tagz
What the hell!.
I shake my head in shame at the leadership of this country sometimes, well most times.

There is a real simple solution that would have a massive impact medium to long term.
If you are caught with a knife in public for reasons other than for work or hobby you receive 10 years fixed prison time.
No reduced sentence or time because of their age, this is their first offence or because they were a good boy or girl for the first few years of their sentence.
They made the decision to carry so they lose a decade of freedom full stop.

Wow a decade because someone carries a knife and your ok with that? I carry a knife with me all the time and used it thousands of times. Ive used it for cutringbopen boxes and envelopes and of course when ive had to strip wires. Then there is cutting up watermelons on picnics and instead of using stupid plastic knives ill often use mine. Ive used it to shorten belts for my son ive used it to remove a timing belt on my car. Or when roasting marshmallows making a stick to use.

Hate to get 10 years for carrying around a tool. You guys over there are tough.

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 07:35 AM
link   
As far as I can tell, the sale of knives within certain tolerances will still be allowed, significant change in how/where they are delivered and proof of age at collection seem to be the major changes

here are some links to gov and police websites regarding the law

Possession of weapons

Selling, buying and carrying knives

knife-and-offensive-weapon-sentencing-januar y-to-march-2018

TL DR you CAN own a knife and use it for work and other activities and will be judged by 12 jury members if it is thought you were not carrying for such a purpose, seems reasonable to me

edit on 17-6-2018 by UpIsNowDown because: typo

edit on 17-6-2018 by UpIsNowDown because: typo

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 07:36 AM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

I carry a 3 inch blade which is legal. The law is silly really because I could easily kill with those 3 inches plunged into someones neck.
Laws won't change what is a cultural problem in London, the broken community needs to change.

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Where is this going to stop?

It won't!

They will keep banning things until there's nothing left to ban, until you're sitting in the corner, defenseless, and completely dependent on them.

People wonder why Americans go ape-s# whenever people start talking about banning guns. This is a perfect example of why, a perfect example of what happens when the government allows people to not be accountable for their actions and instead punishes EVERYONE (else). The slope is far more slippery than people imagine, and the line between "common sense" and absolute INSANITY is razor thin.

No, it won't stop. It will continue until you're eating genetically modified tofu in your hermetically sealed housing module, unable to leave, and chained to a multipurpose 'furniture fixture' and forced to watch government developed propaganda programming 24x7x365.

It won't stop.

...until YOU make it stop!

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 07:54 AM
link   

I can live with the 10 years as long as it’s applied sensibly, a small pen knife, leathernan tool, lock knife or Stanley knife carried by an average person no issue - can easily be shown they are not a threat.

Anybody walking the streets carrying a carving knife is a dick.

Strangely they’re not banning chainsaws - now that’s a way to intimidate! Full on TCM with a Mike Myers mask. Yes I specifically mean Mike Myers not Michael - getting chased by Wayne with a chainsaw = run!!!!

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 07:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy

I carry a 3 inch blade which is legal. The law is silly really because I could easily kill with those 3 inches plunged into someones neck.
Laws won't change what is a cultural problem in London, the broken community needs to change.

Thats not a knife this is a knife. Handiest tool ever invented million and one uses. Cant imagine going to jail because its in my pocket.

You guys are seriously ok with that??

www.buck-store.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Think for a moment about how long it took you to type that post. How many calories did you expend thinking about it, forming the words and then typing it here? Think this is an odd question? Read on...

This is exactly what the nanny state wants you to do, they want you to waste your time on distractions. They want you to burn CPU cycles justifying one type of a knife (in this case) over another. It's a complete waste of time, and they know it. What it does is keeps you distracted from the real issue. Look, over here...a shiny object.

They will take away bit by bit of your freedoms and keep you distracted the whole time. They don't want you to have the available CPU time to say..."Hey, wait a minute; this whole discussion is a colossal load of absolute BULLS#!! NO, just F#ing NO!! I want my freedom back, SCREW YOU!!!!"

No, they want to keep you focused and waste your time on arguing about .25mm, or whether something locks, or what shape it is...or what color.

Think about this for a minute, then get back to me.

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: UpIsNowDown

It does make me laugh that in Scotland 16-18 year olds are allowed to buy cutlery.

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 08:20 AM
link   

That's not a knife, THIS is a knife!

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 08:26 AM
link   

What makes me laugh is that SEVEN year olds CAN'T buy cutlery!!

To illustrate just how insane this is, why do you suppose knife killings are NOT at epidemic levels in the USA?

A seven year old can buy a freaking sword, and walk down the street with it, all perfectly legally! You'd think it would just be a 'hack-fest' here in America, the land of stabbery!

And you know why it isn't?????

Because they'll get SHOT! That's why. See?

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

The law in the UK for a long time has said you can’t carry a knife in public over 3 inches. I don’t really have a problem with that. People carry knives for all sorts of legitimate reasons. Restrictions have been in place for decades and most sensible grown ups understand this and find it relatively understandable.

What I have issue with is people (read gang members) carrying knives for ‘self defence’. These are primarily kids and by self defence I mean threats, intimidation and stabbing people.

I have a kitchen full of knives. Cleavers, santoku, nakiri, gyuto. I don’t feel the need to walk round the streets with them stuffed in the waistband of my low-riding pants.

There is no need for your average law abiding citizen to carry these items and anyone who does so where it can be demonstrated it was for the purpose of crime should be prosecuted.

This is a different situation than the erosion of 2nd amendment rights in the US.

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 08:49 AM
link   

That's not the point. I only used the 2A analogy to illustrate a point, nothing more. This is not about guns. That point being, the words "common sense" and "government" don't belong in the same book, let alone the same chapter, paragraph or sentence!

You're letting them draw you into an argument which shouldn't even be an argument. You're debating what 'types' of knives should be covered under a law which shouldn't even exist (at all) the first damn place!!! You're letting them distract you.

You cannot try to rationalize legislation which is irrational to begin with. You cannot try to rationalize legislation which welcomes lack of accountability of the individual and reinforces the notion that inanimate objects can commit acts all by themselves. They can't. A knife can't do anything on it's own, it can't jump up out of the kitchen drawer and stab someone all by itself. The minute you allow yourself to be drawn down into debating some subset of an irrational law like this is the minute they've won, and it will never end. Tomorrow it will be something even more onerous. And the day after, and the day after that...and the day after that...until you're chained to your 'furniture fixture' (for your own safety, mind you) eating tofu and watching propaganda.
edit on 6/17/2018 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join