It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nanny State Warning - UK to ban ALL online knife sales

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 04:23 AM
link   
www.independent.co.uk...

Looks like Sadiq Khan and Sandi Javid are acting in unison to be seen to be doing something/anything about the escalating knife crime issues in London.

Not sure if this idea though - banning all online sales of knives except to commercial addresses. Phew I can still buy a box cutter for work!

Whilst I can see a point with the ‘zombie knives’ and their ilk I fail to see how a blanket ban on all knife sales will work. Half the knives used tend to be kitchen knives or small lock knives which you can buy pretty much anywhere in the UK from supermarkets and DIY stores to garden centres.

Pretty much every home in the country has a set of kitchen knives - any of which could be used.

So why ban online knife sales when everyone either has free access at home or can just nip the shop?

It annoys me in particular as I have a love of handmade Japanese chef’s knives and am slowly assembling a collection. I like the workmanship visible in the Damascus steel. I can’t buy these locally and fetching one would add a days travel and a huge fuel bill. This legislation will destroy businesses like these :-

www.japaneseknifecompany.com...
cuttingedgeknives.co.uk...

Another genius suggestion was banning the sale of knives with pointed tips🤣

Where is this going to stop? Let’s ban:-

Knives
Screwdrivers
Scissors
Chisels
Axes

Hell let’s ban everything that can be sharpened!

Spades - I could make my own lobo!
Hammers
Trowels
You could even sharpen a spoon (Alan Rickman)

How about the politicians and police get off their asses, stop being so politically correct and tackle the issue. You can’t legislate to stop crime and gang problems you have to tackle it head on.

Make the penalties for carrying weapons so severe it’s not worth it. Bring back profiling and stop and search. No more slapped wrists. Scooter gangs - if you can’t get them to stop run them over. It’ll hurt them more than you.

Maybe I should have put this in rants😂

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 04:30 AM
link   
a reply to: DrBobH

Maybe if these f#cking morons hadn't implemented massive cuts to the Police force then there wouldn't be an epidemic of knife crime in the first place.

There are lots of other factors but this one alone was a really, really bad decision...

edit on 17-6-2018 by Wide-Eyes because: Clarification

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Knifes don't kill, people with knifes kill.

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Jesus.....

Its the epitome of stupid action.

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 04:38 AM
link   

I forgot about the ban on stop and search. The Police that are left must be livid.

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 04:38 AM
link   

They've just 'solved' a London problem by banning online knife sales for the rest of the UK. Chronic stupidity. These London kids out stabbing each other aren't doing it because knives are available; they do it for territory, money and personal grievances. They'll buy their knives in shops which is easier and quicker than online.

Another thing is the recent surge in London stabbings and killings would have gone back to normal levels anyway. As soon as it naturally regresses to the norm the politicians will take credit by saying 'We banned online knife sales and fixed the problem.'

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 04:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

They've just 'solved' a London problem by banning online knife sales for the rest of the UK. Chronic stupidity. These London kids out stabbing each other aren't doing it because knives are available; they do it for territory, money and personal grievances. They'll buy their knives in shops which is easier and quicker than online.

Another thing is the recent surge in London stabbings and killings would have gone back to normal levels anyway. As soon as it naturally regresses to the norm the politicians will take credit by saying 'We banned online knife sales and fixed the problem.'

Dang man, put pot on the streets, that should help.

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 04:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

I think it's safe to say that London has become a cess pit of stupidity.

I can't picture it getting any better anytime soon.

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Nothing this stupid could ever happen they say, it's one dumb guy making a dumb suggestion they say.
*next day*
We have "urgent legislation" to ban the online sale of knifes!

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 04:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic

originally posted by: Kandinsky

Dang man, put pot on the streets, that should help.

There's plenty of pot on the streets. In some cases, that is why people get stabbed.

Turf wars between gangs of all ethnicities in multicultural London.

CX

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 04:48 AM
link   
I make knitted blankets for prem babies in hospital, most charity shops round our way have the knitting needles tucked away under the counter as they can be used as a weapon!

The stupidity is strong in this country.

Go ahead, ban all things sharp....I'll just kill someone with my girlfriend's cheesecake

CX.

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 04:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

It's a cultural issue, Devon and Cornwall constabulary is one of the least resourced in the UK and the largest geographical police area in England but we aren't so stabby with each other.

Using a weapon is frowned upon by the community even in my son's early 20 age group, fighting with fists is being a man while using a blade is being a girl.
It's just thug scum in London.

A totally London problem, so glad I don't live in that #hole.

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 04:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

Your point about the police is right. Not enough of them and the CPS doesn't pursue knife crimes and possession of knives as much as it could. Reparations go a long way and it makes sense we don't want to imprison thousands of youngsters. Nevertheless there are already tough laws against possessing knives on the streets and they aren't being applied.

a reply to: musicismagic

Half the beefs are drug-related already. These guys are high all day on skunk. It should chill them out and it makes them worse.

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Precisely the knife crime is occurring at a relatively low level within the drug gangs that are fighting for territory within London.

The whole problem is escalating out of control for a huge number of reasons-

Lack of police on the streets (not behind desks)
Influx of foreign wealth driving property prices
Lack of opportunity for education and career
Drug gangs
Lack of clear policy to deal with gang culture and crimes
Not enough space in prisons
Political correctness and fear of offending
Failure to integrate
Uncontrolled immigration from the EU including gangs
Loss of morality and values

This isn’t getting solved any time soon

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Yeah you're right.

We've always had gangs and always had governments. One's always bringing new laws in and the other carries on regardless.

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 05:00 AM
link   

We have sky high property prices in the south west due to rich people owning second homes here. You are lucky to see a PCSO let alone a cop so my community polices itself.
I know dealers from small time to wholesale and they are just business people selling illegal products, nobody gets hurt unless someone rips another off.

It is a cultural problem, #ty thugs brought up in #ty families.

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 05:05 AM
link   
What the hell!.
I shake my head in shame at the leadership of this country sometimes, well most times.

There is a real simple solution that would have a massive impact medium to long term.
If you are caught with a knife in public for reasons other than for work or hobby you receive 10 years fixed prison time.
No reduced sentence or time because of their age, this is their first offence or because they were a good boy or girl for the first few years of their sentence.
They made the decision to carry so they lose a decade of freedom full stop.

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 05:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: DrBobH

Precisely the knife crime is occurring at a relatively low level within the drug gangs that are fighting for territory within London.

The whole problem is escalating out of control for a huge number of reasons-

Lack of police on the streets (not behind desks)
Influx of foreign wealth driving property prices
Lack of opportunity for education and career
Drug gangs
Lack of clear policy to deal with gang culture and crimes
Not enough space in prisons
Political correctness and fear of offending
Failure to integrate
Uncontrolled immigration from the EU including gangs
Loss of morality and values

This isn’t getting solved any time soon

so are drugs destroying GB?

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 05:10 AM
link   
The way this is headed across the western world, how long is it till the people have had enough and move to ban government.

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 05:11 AM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

Drugs are a currency for criminals, legalize it will solve many many problems.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join