It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese Satellite Captures a Cool View of Earth from Lunar Orbit

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+24 more 
posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 05:57 PM
link   

The image is one of three taken by the Longjiang-2 microsatellite which launched last month.

Longjiang-2, which measures just 20 inches across, is equipped with a Saudi Arabia-built optical camera. The China National Space Administration released three photos taken by the microsat on June 14, one showing part of the Mare Imbrium on the Moon.

But the microsat will do more than just take pretty pictures—it’s also set to do some cool science. Free from Earth’s ionosphere, the satellite will be able to perform low frequency radio astronomy and amateur radio experiments.

The microsatellite is part of a larger mission that will establish communication between the Moon and Earth ready for China’s upcoming lunar lander and rover missions.

The next step in the mission will be to test Queqiao’s 13-foot-long (4 m) parabolic antenna. The relay satellite will be expected to carry out its data relay tasks at a distance of nearly 300,000 miles (500,000 km) from Earth.
gizmodo.com...

This is kind of incredible. Images of the Earth and Moon, taken by a small Saudi camera on a small 45 kg Chinese satellite in lunar orbit (Longjiang-2/DSLWP-B), as part of the Chang'e-4 relay satellite launch.
twitter.com...

Just another day in paradise.

edit on 16-6-2018 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Aren't there any stars?

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

You'd think after more than 50 years of space exploration this would be common knowledge by now 😐

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic
Aren't there any stars?

Yes. There's one on the right... the one shining on Earth and Moon.

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I hope people are aware that this and every other photo of Earth are FAKE composites.

+25 more 
posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: CosmicAwakening

I don't think this one is a composite, fake or otherwise. It could be, but there isn't much reason for it to be. It closely resembles Hassleblad images from the Apollo missions.

edit on 6/16/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: CosmicAwakening

I was wondering how long it was going to take. What do you have in the form of proof that this and others are fake ?

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I DO believe its a composite.. try and copy it into Gimp and set contrast and brightness to near max.. The earth is cut down the middle

+5 more 
posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: CosmicAwakening
I hope people are aware that this and every other photo of Earth are FAKE composites.

All you are proving is that the state of education in this country is dismal.

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 06:58 PM
link   

These distant images of the place we all exist, never ceases to amaze me.

Our entire existence, occurs on a small blue globe, which is just majestically drifting though empty dark space.

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 07:09 PM
link   

sorry, it's fake. The real earth is flat.

just kidding. That's a really cool photo.

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 07:15 PM
link   
There is no way that is real.

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Has anyone checked weather satellites on day it was taken(if they released the date).....Nasa would probably mess that up but not China haha.

I think its real and seems to match with the previous lunar picture.

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I'm still waiting for an answer too.... Anybody ?

a reply to: musicismagic

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Why no stars ?

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 08:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus
Why no stars ?

Contrast.

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 08:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus
Why no stars ?

I think it is due to a short exposure time combined with the brightness of the Earth and the Moon itself.

During a full Moon, the stars in the night sky are much less numerous/noticeable, especially in the direction of the Moon.

And that is during night. It looks like this is a Moon-day-time shot looking towards a 3/5 illuminated Earth which is, i think, still brighter than a full Moon, from that distance.
edit on 6162018 by CreationBro because: (no reason given)

+10 more 
posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Because the image is correctly exposed to show the Earth & Moon in daylight. Any camera any where set for daylight will not show stars because they are too faint - even outside of the Earth's atmosphere. If they left the shutter open long enough to show stars, the sun-lit Earth and Moon would be completely over-exposed.

Hope this helps.

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Because if they used an exposure long enough to see stars the earth would have looked like a white ball.

new topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join