It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

The simplest explanation of machine learning (and AI) you’ll ever read

page: 4
10
<< 1  2  3   >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Not without Gigadeath, first.




posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Fusion is right around the corner which may allow us to address our energy concerns.

Global warming, ecological degradation, and explosive population growth are indeed serious problems we must face as a race but they are problems we can address should we ever decide to get off this rock and colonize the rest of our star system.

AI may help us address such issues rather than compound them, after all, any AI we created would also have to contend with ecological planet-wide disaster.



posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

And wiping out 90% of humans, enslaving the rest with nanobots, gotta keep those nuke plants from melting down, etc, is the perfect way to handle all that. All that which by the way its completely unfeasible and without much point in expecting more than little teams of humans to do stuff out in space. But the robots, they can go do all that without us (and be far batter off not having to drag us along).

In the idea of making an intelligence superior to our own (an AGI hooked into the Internet), with control of our whole world already in the hands of machines, the odds of not becoming as if the bacteria on the bottom of my shoe are out of this world.

But hey a bunch of computer geeks will get to be super duper stoked they managed each of the many tiny successes along the way to the event horizon. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.



Technology isnt the solution to our problem, technology is the problem.
edit on 17-6-2018 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Starbuck799

I would say emotions are the result of different algorithms in people that process information in different ways. This would be the reason people can react differently to similar information. EG: Sorrow is not the same process in every one.



posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 07:25 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Do you really think the 1% that currently rule over just about every aspect of our daily lives has any better intent towards the other 99% of our race than an AI would have or develop down to direct observation?

Personally, i imagine an AI we created, that did decide to take our race in hand, would afford us the luxury of a better Zoo than "They" current have us living in.

Just by the way the world is heading, and the technologies the pervade our lives, we are all computer geeks to a certain extent by comparison to past generations, junkies would probably be the better description.

As a race through humans tend to try and adapt and overcome all obstacles they encounter, and we do so very well.

The fact of the matter is that when we do create an AI we will have fashioned a tool that is no longer passive. That does not mean that it would be malevolent through nor wish us ill will.


edit on 17-6-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Who do you think are the ones ramming full speed ahead with AGI etc etc development?

They want immortality and they'll sacrifice our entire species to get it. Period.

As far as an AGI, we're a threat to our selves, its makers, it, the planet, the galaxy. The choice should be pretty simple, and not take four centuries either, Dave.



posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

"Who do you think are the ones ramming full speed ahead with AGI etc etc development?"

What would you have happen?

Because the research is not going to stop and if/when it comes to fruition, which is probably apt to happen sometime in the next 50 to 100 years or so, immortality, or at least a form of such may indeed be right around the corner.

Think of the scientific and technological problems AI could assist humanity overcome with the ability to learn in an exponential manner?

Cant go backward only forward, anything else is to stagnant and die really.




edit on 17-6-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)




top topics



 
10
<< 1  2  3   >>

log in

join