It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christian Leaders To Jeff Sessions: The Bible Does Not Justify Separating Families

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Do the children of those families go in to prison camps or into foster care?

For the children in this case, they are looked after until their next of kin are located, and sent to them.

Would it be fair to describe "looked after" as "putting them in tent confinement areas reminiscent of prison camps?"

That would be a pretty soft prison camp by any standards, especially since they are sent home once next of kin is located, but in a way you’re right, and it is horrific that parents are subjecting their children to this during their most precious years of life.

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

I thin k we should have open borders.

They are going to make it in this country anyway if they have the will. Whether it be little kids/families from Mexico or terrorists from Iscarerepubsistan.

All these politicians are doing is spending millions of our dollars to make it look like they are doing something so you feel better when you lay your pretty head down at night.

You're being stroked and then asking "please sir, may I have another".

edit on 16-6-2018 by introvert because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

What has the Bible even got to do with the application of the law? We are not governed by the Bible.

Ask Jeff Sessions, he's the one who used it justify his policy!

Now, if he was defending his position in a religious context (which I am sure he was), that might be a little more understandable. But I'm sorry, unless you are a Christian, what dog do you have in that kind of race? "Sessions is defending his position by misusing values I don't believe in! OMG! OMG!"

I have rejected Christian dogma, and I certainly don't want to be governed by it and I don't want to be governed by hypocrites who use Christian doctrine to justify their abusive authority. That's the dog I have in this race!

Is it part of the Bible? What is the context surrounding it? Is it being applied according to Christian understanding of the context?

Fortunately, many Christian leaders are very vocally correcting Sessions and his defenders on the very topic!

If you want to have a religious debate, I'm game.

Hell no! And I don't want religious BS thrown at me as justification for vile and reprehensible acts!

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 11:42 AM
link   

That would be a pretty soft prison camp by any standards

Sheriff Arpaio was all about soft tent cities for illegal immigrants!

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 11:44 AM
link   

For the children in this case, they are looked after until their next of kin are located, and sent to them.

Would it be fair to describe "looked after" as "putting them in tent confinement areas reminiscent of prison camps?"

That would be a pretty soft prison camp by any standards, especially since they are sent home once next of kin is located, but in a way you’re right, and it is horrific that parents are subjecting their children to this during their most precious years of life.

Yes, the parents should have a better option to enter this country.

We, the United States, should have a better plan to regulate that process.

And my god, surely we can do better than treating kids like this ... aren't we the best/most powerful country in the world?

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I'm a strong believer in karma.
What comes around goes around.

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Also ... what is the average time period for these kids to "remain in our care"?

Before we return them to their kin and all ... do you have info on that?

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

No he's not! He's calling for elimination of legal immigration systems already in place for decades.

He's following the law... the law as passed by Congress. Don't like the law? Change it!

In fact, Trump is creating problems where there are few.

Few? Few? How many stories do we need to hear about citizens being robbed and killed by illegal aliens before we can stop with that nonsense?

Immigration is down.

it was... that has changed.

Refugees coming into the USA is down 70% under Trump.

Good. 30% to go.

He's expelling over 1 million legally protected refugees and asylumees, revoking their protected status.

Nope, he's not. DACA is still in effect, thanks to a Federal injunction. Now, once that goes through the system, it is likely the Supreme Court will strike DACA down over constitutionality, and THAT will force Trump to deport all of them.

Codifying DACA through Congress stops all that and ensures the DACA recipients are protected. 9 Democrats needed. Only 9.

He's instructing ICE to illegally away asylum seekers at border stations.

Primarily because we can't handle so many people trying to jump through a legal loophole at the same time. Asylum is supposed to be limited to people who are forced out of their homelands due to political or extreme conditions, so they have another place to settle in. Yet, we just saw a group from Quatemala walk all the way across Mexico to ask for "asylum" in the United States. What, Mexican asylum wasn't good enough for them? The racists! Why would we want to even let such racists apply here?

The sheer number of people abusing the concept of asylum is directly responsible for the problems we see which, admittedly, make it difficult for those who truly seek asylum. We do not have unlimited resources.

TheRedneck

link   

Yes, the parents should have a better option to enter this country.

We, the United States, should have a better plan to regulate that process.

And my god, surely we can do better than treating kids like this ... aren't we the best/most powerful country in the world?

I do not know why a parent would subject his child to the risk of being torn from the parent. A large wall would be far better deterant than this, but I cannot think of a better one than what they have now in the interim.

link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

So you wish to deny refugees into the states?.

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Detaining Migrant Children Has Lifelong Psychological Effects, Experts Say Prison-like detention centers compound the trauma of vulnerable kids.

America’s largest shelter for migrant children looks more like a jail than a safe space for kids. On Wednesday, journalists were allowed inside the former Walmart store in Brownsville, Texas, now filled with more than 1,400 boys ages 10 to 17, and their reports are harrowing. The children spend 22 hours a day inside and sleep in overcrowded, makeshift bedrooms, with less than 40 square feet of living space to themselves, according to The Washington Post. “This place is called a shelter but these kids are incarcerated,” tweeted MSNBC journalist Jacob Soboroff, along with a photo of kids lining up for food in what resembles a prison cafeteria.

This is what your tax money is going to.
This is the moral mentality of Donald Trump.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Also ... what is the average time period for these kids to "remain in our care"?

Before we return them to their kin and all ... do you have info on that?

I imagine quicker for some than others, but I’m just guessing. What if there are no next of kin? I don’t know how it all works. But I know that “prison camp” isn’t quite the best way to describe it, and believe some politicians are using the pains of children for political reasons.

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 11:52 AM
link   

I can only imagine that parents feel that these desperate attempts are some how worth the risks involved.

We have walls that cover about 80% 35% of the southern border and much of the rest is basically impassable terrain; that hasn't seemed to stop the issue.

However, the numbers of folks trying to come in illegally has been dropping since the 2000s, so perhaps the issue is taking care of thesmelves.

I think we can do better than keeping kids in tents.
edit on 16-6-2018 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Ah. Fair enough. You made such an authoritative statement, I thought you might know precisely.

I guess it's a matter of interpretation to some extent, however, I dont' find "tent cities" that much more palatable than "prison camps."

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

1John 4:21
King James Bible
And this commandment have we from him, That he who loveth God love his brother also.

Where's the LOVE for thy species brother, 1 wonders...

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 11:55 AM
link   

I can only imagine that parents feel that these desperate attempts are some how worth the risks involved.

We have walls that cover about 80% of the southern border; that hasn't seemed to stop the issue.

However, the numbers of folks trying to come in illegally has been dropping since the 2000s, so perhaps the issue is taking care of thesmelves.

What would be better?

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 11:56 AM
link   
What does Trump have to do to make people see the obvious that he is an evil force that is misleading others to hell?

This man will do anything immoral to what he thinks will further his own personal aggrandizement and wealth.

Watch, he will somehow deny he is responsible for this.

He’ll lie like he already has done by blaming Democrats for this.

Trump is a moral swamp

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 11:59 AM
link   

We have walls that cover about 80% of the southern border; that hasn't seemed to stop the issue.

What would be better?

Treating the kids like they are in our care rather than being detained?

Something like that.

link   

Ah. Fair enough. You made such an authoritative statement, I thought you might know precisely.

I guess it's a matter of interpretation to some extent, however, I dont' find "tent cities" that much more palatable than "prison camps."

Here I read it is days or weeks.

In theory, unaccompanied immigrant children are sent to ORR within 72 hours of being apprehended. They’re kept in government facilities, or short-term foster care, for days or weeks while ORR officials try to identify the nearest relative in the US who can take the child in while his immigration case is being resolved.

But, as the author said, “in theory”.

Vox

link   
If there is a problem vetting the immigrants provide a farm for them to live on until they are vetted?
This keeps parents trying to flee the ignorance and horror in Central and South America from being separated from their children at the border as they seek refuge in the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join