It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US import tariffs on steel, aluminium: India hits back, to suspend concessions on 30 products

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: CB328

It actually created more jobs in two steel mills here in Canada, one is owned by US Steel as well.

Funny, now that I think of it, out in eastern Canada a US rail car manufacturer opened up a huge facility there to compete with Canada's largest freight car maker, and US steel swiped up a fully functioning steel mill in southern Ontario. This was within' the last 3 years or so. I wonder if they knew something was up.

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 08:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker
a reply to: maddy21

has some vested interest in some aspect of it. That would include the OP, one would guess.

OP...that is myself...is NOT an American. So I have 0 incentive to support or back/bash America

The steel and aluminum tariffs only apply to those nations that either subsidize their versions or tariff US imports.

No, this is a tariff on steel, aluminium imports in general. Not focused on a single country. So every country who exports steel/Aluminium will be effected.

Any counter move, by any nation, is an admission that they have benefited from those inequities.

I find little logic in that statement. Any move meant to change the status quo without any prior agreement will be seen as an aggressive move by the US.

While none of the current leaders may have been directly involved with those decisions, subsidies and/or tariffs, they suffer politically at home by not at least threatening retaliation. I'm betting many are mere rhetoric and will get down to negotiations shortly.

You overestimate America, Chinese have already retaliated, so has India and so will any other country who deems necessary. That includes Canada as well

If, however, these nations want to maintain their advantage and get into a trade war, then so be it. India? LMAO.

Going into a Trade war with the Second and the Sixth largest economy, is really not LMAO for those effected by it. It hasn't become a trade war yet(with India). So far its just an equal and adequate response from their part.

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 08:26 AM
link   
So , the US stops outsourcing jobs offshore to India
And starts bringing them back
India's backbone just broke...

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 08:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
So , the US stops outsourcing jobs offshore to India
And starts bringing them back
India's backbone just broke...

Majority of the call centres have already moved to Malaysia, Philippines etc.. US right now has little leverage on that front. India's backbone from what I understand is its internal economy, Unlike China it depends very little on exports. Though it has been recently trying to focus on increasing it.

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 08:40 AM
link   

If the entire planet tries to gang up in a trade war with the US they will lose. Their economies will be hurt while the US economy will grow exponentially and the US will become notably stronger.

We have the technology to do anything we want. The rest of the world is not technologically advanced enough to play this game without feeling the pain.

The more the world isolates the US the stronger our economy will become. It is because of globalism and our past trade deals that the US has been weakened. If anyone tells you otherwise know this. You are being lied to by those who are either ignorant or intentionally divisive. Or the small group of globalist corporations that won't be able to rape America anymore.

The US citizens will not suffer a trade war. If the rest of the world wants to throw their people and nations under the bus for bad politics, let them sink their own ships. Trump is demanding fair trade. And we will either get fair trade or no trade. It's an American policy to MAGA.

edit on 16-6-2018 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Isurrender73

The US is a consumer economy. One of the main reasons why a lot of company's took jobs away from the states was to just make them cheaper elsewhere so the people buy their products back.

Why build a car in the states, pay a worker 30 dollars an hour, contribute to a pension, and pretty much pay for that persons vehicle, when you can get some low waged workers down in Mexico who get 6 dollars an hour, no pension, and won't buy the car they just made. Someone in the states would most likely buy it, the company profits.
Capitalism has run a muck in the states and it's what got them where they are now.

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 08:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: maddy21

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa
a reply to: network dude

Yeah, that's kinda a logical theory, to rationalise Trumps recent irrational behaviour... His throwing the American people into the deep end, hoping they'll learn how to swim, before they drown.

Question is though... Do you personally think it'll work?

For that to work, Trump will need to create the atmosphere were local business can Thrive. Which means easier access to business loans, less interest rates. Also people willing to go out there and start their own Businesses. I'm unaware of the situation in America so, I don't know.

Yes, Trump has been creating such an atmosphere.
Just one example:
April 8, 2018
Treasury, IRS Announce First Round Of Opportunity Zones Designations For 18 States

The U.S. Department of the Treasury and the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) today designated Opportunity Zones in 18 States. The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act created Opportunity Zones to spur investment in distressed communities throughout the country. New investments in Opportunity Zones can receive preferential tax treatment.

Under the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, States, D.C., and U.S. possessions nominate low-income communities to be designated as Qualified Opportunity Zones, which are eligible for the tax benefit.
“I am very excited about the prospects for Opportunity Zones. Attracting needed private investment into these low-income communities will lead to their economic revitalization, and ensure economic growth is experienced throughout the nation,” said Secretary Steven T. Mnuchin. “The Administration will continue working with States and the private sector to encourage investment and development in Opportunity Zones and other economically disadvantaged areas and boost economic growth and job creation.”

The Trump Administration has been passing laws to encourage economic growth, while the media has ignored everything they are doing.

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Yeah, that's kinda a logical theory, to rationalise Trumps recent irrational behaviour... His throwing the American people into the deep end, hoping they'll learn how to swim, before they drown.

For that to work, Trump will need to create the atmosphere were local business can Thrive. Which means easier access to business loans, less interest rates. Also people willing to go out there and start their own Businesses. I'm unaware of the situation in America so, I don't know.

It's called Supply and Demand. If we stop importing something that Americans want it won't take 15 minutes for someone or several someones to come in and figure out how to supply the demand. We have the technology and resorces to produce anything the world produces. The US can not lose a trade war. It's not possible.
edit on 16-6-2018 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 09:07 AM
link   

You claim objectivity yet yet your OP isn't objective, at all. I repeat, the tariff/subsidy mechanism is inequitable. Not one of your responses to my post indicates anything other than a 'vested interest' in that status quo you find so desirable.

The opportunity for negotiation has and still is available. Your 'Canada' was given exemption to the steel and aluminum tariff from the start, under the reasonable assumption that negotiations to address NAFTA inequities would occur. Your Trudeau has screwed up by the numbers.

Rather than addressing your own inept leadership, you attempt to discourage the US in it's efforts by piggy-backing on China and India. Typical of Canada.

All this rhetoric from India does is strengthen my resolve to put an end to this issue, in the US's favor. That includes Bombardier and any other gov't subsidized- your tax dollar- Corporations.

Fights on....

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Supply, Demand and affordability. Demand depends on the affordability, if it costs more to produce the same thing it is also going to cost a lot more when selling the same thing. If it takes $5 to produce something in Mexico, its going to take $15 to produce the same thing in US(for example), simply due to the wage difference. Which means local products end up as a lot more expensive. This would not matter much if one company has monopoly, but in a globalised world, Its going to make it very difficult for a local company producing locally to compete with another company who produces from outside.
edit on 16-6-2018 by maddy21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Isurrender73

It's called Supply and Demand. If we stop importing something that Americans want it won't take 15 minutes for someone or several someones to come in and figure out how to supply the demand. We have the technology and resorces to produce anything the world produces. The US can not lose a trade war. It's not possible.

Exactly!

I just realized from the post we both replied to that the OP is not in the US. So, they don't understand.

It is not a myth that the US is the land of opportunity. It is not hard for someone with ambition to find a way to start a business. I have family members who never even went to college, yet went on to become quite wealthy because they were smart, had skills, and started their own family business. I have another family member who just recently decided to start his own business. He has marketable skills, started an LLC, put up a web site, and boom.

Established companies that already have the infrastructure will jump on these new opportunities for manufacturing. Where there is opportunity, there will be investments.

In the US, and specifically in the direct area where I live, construction is BOOMING. There are buildings, industrial complexes, warehouses, and residential construction popping up literally EVERY week. It is actually kind of annoying, because traffic is increasing faster than they can improve roads, but they are working on that too. Our area also has road construction on every other road. But it is a good sign that the economy is improving.

If you are not in the US, you don't see this happening. But it really, truly is happening. And I thank Trump.

Oh and... there are several large areas in my county and 2 neighboring counties that have been designated for the new federal tax breaks in my post above, so this only going to increase.

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Maddy- Do YourSelf a favor and don't get too deep in a debate w/anyone who could defend ANY politician™ and evidently if You keep getting out of Bankruptcy Court w/FREE $$$ then You become a "great businessman"

Anyone can hit 19 when the Dealer is showing a '6' and when You "BUST" You get a new line of credit..

Donny Jr.: "Daddy, You have 19.. stay!!"

Herr Drumpf: "But the game is called '21' HIT! ..."

Dealer: And a 6 gives You 25.. You bust.."

Herr Drumpf: "CHIPS!, bring me more chips!!!"

Plus He ruined the USFL™...

You'd be better off asking the Trumpeters if they have ALL the seasons of TheApprentice™ on DVD. but that is probably a large NO and only started to IDOLIZE him because He didn't have a (D) this time around...

$u¢ker$

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 09:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker

You claim objectivity yet yet your OP isn't objective, at all. I repeat, the tariff/subsidy mechanism is inequitable. Not one of your responses to my post indicates anything other than a 'vested interest' in that status quo you find so desirable.

The opportunity for negotiation has and still is available. Your 'Canada' was given exemption to the steel and aluminum tariff from the start, under the reasonable assumption that negotiations to address NAFTA inequities would occur. Your Trudeau has screwed up by the numbers.

Rather than addressing your own inept leadership, you attempt to discourage the US in it's efforts by piggy-backing on China and India. Typical of Canada.

All this rhetoric from India does is strengthen my resolve to put an end to this issue, in the US's favor. That includes Bombardier and any other gov't subsidized- your tax dollar- Corporations.

Fights on....

Sigh.....

You talk as if every country out there should favour America blindly. Every country will favour itself the same way Trump favours America. So if by Vested interest, you mean countries looking out for themselves, then yes.. But if you are trying to make a conclusion that America has been treated unfairly, then its plainly not true.

Rest of your post is idle banter.....

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 09:17 AM
link   

You don't seem to understand. Even if it costs more to make something in the US in the beginning, the very fact that the economy is improving due to increased manufacturing will result in more people working, wages increasing, and people will have more money to spend and invest.

And in the long run, the US will be more independent. It is not healthy for a country to be dependent upon other countries for everything. The US will once again become an industrial stronghold. We will produce more of what we need for survival, which will make our country stronger.

I watched our factories shut down one after the other, as our jobs were shipped overseas. I watched our technical jobs disappear as services were outsourced to other countries. Globalization devastated our country. Once booming cities turned into areas that looked apocalyptic - literally, not exaggerating. Trump saw this too. And he saw that this was not good for America.

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlueAjah

You don't seem to understand. Even if it costs more to make something in the US in the beginning, the very fact that the economy is improving due to increased manufacturing will result in more people working, wages increasing, and people will have more money to spend and invest.

And in the long run, the US will be more independent. It is not healthy for a country to be dependent upon other countries for everything. The US will once again become an industrial stronghold. We will produce more of what we need for survival, which will make our country stronger.

I watched our factories shut down one after the other, as our jobs were shipped overseas. I watched our technical jobs disappear as services were outsourced to other countries. Globalization devastated our country. Once booming cities turned into areas that looked apocalyptic - literally, not exaggerating. Trump saw this too. And he saw that this was not good for America.

Thanks for that well written post.

I actually get it, I did make a post on the 1st page posting precisely why there was a hike on Steel and Aluminium. Along with the link to the precise study which encouraged trump to make the decision. Most seems to have missed that post. I'm aware of Detroit and other cities. I was stating, there will be some challenges and it would have been much easier to go into a trade agreement instead of this unilateral decision which might negetivly effect US allies...
edit on 16-6-2018 by maddy21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 09:26 AM
link   

So is your thread.

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic

One who protects his family, and the American people are his family due to he is an appointed leader for its nation. Should be fairly easy to understand now, don't you think so.

Wait, the man took HOW MANY deferments from military duty and you consider him a patriot???

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Only lentils on sale soon?

"US is the world’s largest steel-consuming nation."

Given that, that we arent producing it ourselves is national suicide over a long enough timeline.

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 09:47 AM
link   

You can deflect, misdirect all you want. Yes, fairness is irrelevant. Each country takes car of it's own. The US has been remiss in that regard and that leads to a much stronger effort to readjust, much to the 'discomfort' of the other nations.

In Canada's case, which you avoid well, these are the facts. Deal with it.

www.facebook.com... =ufi

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 09:57 AM
link   
The premise that poor people don’t buy yachts is what is in play here. US domestic production has been so low that the US consumer economy is in danger of collapse due to a lack of consumers. A Buy American campaign isn’t going to be enough. The tariffs are protectionism in the form of a carrot but they are also the stick to motivate manufacturers to hire and produce domestically.

Higher demand for workers means higher wages, higher wages means more income tax for funding infrastructure. Subsidies can also be applied to specific items manufactured to create buyer incentives in the form of lower prices. Which if you watch car commercials, cash back programs are primarily used to clear current year stock to make room for next model year. Why do you think the government is always giving handouts to the big three and what do you think they do with the handouts? Hint: those same factors are at work with the EBT cards (food stamps). The government doesn’t care that recipients buy steak and lobster because it keeps the steak and lobster businesses in business.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join