It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A minimum-wage worker needs 2.5 full-time jobs to afford a one-bedroom apartment in most of the US

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 11:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328

yea, home prices are surely an issue. To some extent this could fall back on the FHA loan program and other economic variables

No it couldn't. What is wrong with you that you have a pathological need to blame the government for every problem in the world?

The two reasons are having a huge population, and letting business turn housing into a commodity. Both of which are conservative policies, though the government helps by letting lots of people immigrate here.

You are asking somebody what is wrong with them for blaming the government?

And then you said it was conservative policies....
Then you said the government helps by letting lots of people immigrate here?

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 11:32 PM
link   
a reply to: CB328

Government handouts nor a nationalized economy is the answer. Capitalism has pulled more people out of poverty than any other system in existence.

Banks violating federal law by providing bad loans to people they knew could not pay back the loans if trouble started is one of the reasons the housing market bubble popped. When you have people in San Francisco making 80k a year living in homeless shelters there is a problem. With that said in a recent poll 46% of the people living in San Francisco who were surveyed said they have plans to move out of the city within the next year due to government policies and the high price of everything.

When you have Nancy Pelosi and Feinstein living in the Presidio it says a lot about how out of touch they are with the common person. Pelosis net worth is in excess of 100 million dollars. Feinsteins is up there as well. Coming back to the middle ground every single member of Congress, both houses, are millionaires. Even though they can afford to pay for stuff the doll out tax payer money to cover their bills instead.

When you are rich and use the tax payers money to pay for everything else you do you dont have an adequate understanding of the societal issues you were sent to Congress to help fix.

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Let me move all the straw away from this post...

Minimum wage is mainly for 2nd or 3rd job positions in a house hold

If there is not something seriously wrong with someone, they move off of minimum wage within 90 days

Now, someone can put the extra straw into another strawperson arguement

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 11:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555
Well talk about a bubble gum topic, chewed over and over.

I had one minimum wage job in High School, then got another for $4 and hour with my work history and a reference, then parlayed that into $5 an hour job at a truck stop and the truckers tipped really well. Working graveyard shift full time put me through college. Not much sleep but it went fine.

Then turned down a low paying government job and used my references to get a job in another state that paid over $35K in 1975-76. Learned a new skill and turned that into something even better.

Why in the heck is anyone other than a kid working at those jobs anyway. Those are jobs for kids, people between real jobs and for extra income after retirement.

be cause half of America make $15 an hour less, this is why the debt to income ratio is sky high and student loan debt

edit on 15-6-2018 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I hear they pay for blood.

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 11:58 PM
link   
We could just kill the poor people, right CB328?

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 11:59 PM
link   
a reply to: c2oden

I vote we start with Berkley instead, that way we can defeat climate change all at once.

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Inflation has priced everyone out of the market

Go look at visualcapitalist.com and actually learn something before arguing points of view

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 12:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: CB328

yea, home prices are surely an issue. To some extent this could fall back on the FHA loan program and other economic variables

No it couldn't. What is wrong with you that you have a pathological need to blame the government for every problem in the world?

The two reasons are having a huge population, and letting business turn housing into a commodity. Both of which are conservative policies, though the government helps by letting lots of people immigrate here.

Again, your answer to a government induced problem is more government. And for bonus points your answer for over population is more population!

What is wrong with you...

Indeed. Keep chasing your tail.

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 12:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra
When you have people in San Francisco making 80k a year living in homeless shelters there is a problem. With that said in a recent poll 46% of the people living in San Francisco who were surveyed said they have plans to move out of the city within the next year due to government policies and the high price of everything.

It is a liberal paradise isnt it.

"making 80k a year living in homeless shelters"

Is that a serious figure?

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Around here, someone working forty hours minimum wage will have to work about two weeks to afford a one bedroom apartment, that does not give much for food and gas. A small one bedroom here is about six hundred a month including utilities. Not the newest building, but a half way decent apartment.

It would be hard at that price to make a go of it. But it would be possible to do. Usually cable and internet is not included with a six hundred dollar apartment though, that is extra.

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Not one person has gotten any mileage out of the word "average" all over the OP
Everyone must be sleep posting...

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 12:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

originally posted by: JDmOKI
a reply to: JinMI

Agreed but not everyone can get that better job and some people will always work crap jobs.

The homeless problem growing is insentive enough to help the low income workers

They can't or won't? What is stopping access to experience and education needed for higher waged jobs?

I think the homeless problem is closer correlated to drugs and alcohol than it is jobs. I'm open to correction on the subject.

You are not all wrong but once you become homeless it is an uphill battle.

Even for people like me with no substance abuse prroblems or mental illness. Just a lot of bad circumstances.

Just the stigma that comes with being homeless is a hurdle.

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 12:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: HomelessWhiteMale

originally posted by: JinMI

originally posted by: JDmOKI
a reply to: JinMI

Agreed but not everyone can get that better job and some people will always work crap jobs.

The homeless problem growing is insentive enough to help the low income workers

They can't or won't? What is stopping access to experience and education needed for higher waged jobs?

I think the homeless problem is closer correlated to drugs and alcohol than it is jobs. I'm open to correction on the subject.

You are not all wrong but once you become homeless it is an uphill battle.

Even for people like me with no substance abuse prroblems or mental illness. Just a lot of bad circumstances.

Just the stigma that comes with being homeless is a hurdle.

Where are you?

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Living alone is a luxury.

Easy fix, share your apt with 2.5 people.

Problem solved.

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 01:27 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyingFox

You call that quality of life??

Not me.

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 01:36 AM
link   
a reply to: HomelessWhiteMale

I'm sure it is an uphill battle. Losing everything, having nothing and trying to make something from that would probably be the most difficult thing in life.

Be that as it may, that thought alone should keep anyone motivated to not fall that far. However, life happens, to some worse than others. None of this however bar anyone from entry into the workforce or the ladder of life.

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 02:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: mymymy
a reply to: ketsuko

But your dad worked for someone else. He claims to own multiple businesses yet can't get a decent deal for his family so his wife has to work outside the family business to get a better deal?

Or they can afford it without noticing a dent in his income, but like everything, they opt to play the system to get a better deal, thereby taking a job away from someone who may very well need the work.

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 02:26 AM
link   
I feel like playing Jones in the Fast Lane, again now.

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 02:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyingFox
Living alone is a luxury.

Easy fix, share your apt with 2.5 people.

Problem solved.

Where do you find .5 of a person? I know you can make them, but you have to be really good at hiding things then.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join