It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White Singer To Perform Selena Tribute At Dallas Concert Venue

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Don't you just love media in general?

Advertisement:

Suzanna Choffel To Perform Selena Tribute At Dallas Concert Venue

News Worthy:

White Singer To Perform Selena Tribute At Dallas Concert Venue

What story do most people want to read? Which one brings out the negative? The positive?

Unfortunately in this case, the story that could be a positive read isn't much of one. It's as though the news media wants you to take a side because they apparently, by the wording and the focus of the story, have chosen one before they presented it to you.

Who cares that a white woman is singing a Spanish song to pay tribute to a dead Spanish singer? I could have sworn Selena sang for more than just the Tejano people. She made it pretty big once everyone took notice of her music regardless the color of skin. Her fans were everywhere. She accepted their money and their loyalty.

Well... The media wants you to care and present it to you in the guise of .... 'Oh How Appalling!'

DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – There is a growing debate in North Texas about the person selected by a Dallas concert venue to pay tribute to Selena. The late Tejano singer still has a large following, especially in the Hispanic community, and a show honoring Selena at The Rustic on Thursday night was sold out.

Growing, not so much. I only stumbled on it by accident. It's definitely not headline news.... yet!

An estimated 2,000 people came to hear Selena’s songs at the show, but some are questioning how and why The Rustic picked singer Suzanna Choffel to perform. The musician from Austin has been receiving plenty of criticism and heat online for her covers of Selena’s songs — because of her ethnicity.

In the video... I love that the white man has to hand the story off to someone with a latino last name?

Not only did this white woman sing a Spanish song but she's contering her story to say that she's 1/16th Mexican. Maybe she took a DNA tests for one of the many family tree companies out there. Maybe she was trying to justify being white. Or... maybe she was trying to defend herself for being white.

When it was announced that Choffel would be participating in the Selena tribute, she identified as white. Now, she has said that she is actually 1/16 Mexican. “The reason that I didn’t come right out and say something about it,” Choffel said, “I don’t identify… obviously, I look very white. I look like a white girl. And I didn’t want people thinking that I grew up with the same identity as them.”

Still, some fans just wont have it:

As Selena fan Eva Arreguin explained, “Since that was a big part of what Selena’s legacy was, was representing the Latino community that wasn’t often represented, it felt a little bit off to have someone that was not [Latino].”

Another fan added, “If you’re going to have a blonde Caucasian woman try to do her justice, I think that’s pretty sad.”

As the rest goes, she did find support and she didn't need to defend herself. Maybe white people defending themselves is some kind of negative or intimidating factor.

Some of the anger is also being directed at The Rustic, which said that it hired a well-known (and Hispanic) Selena tribute band for a show at its San Antonio location on the same night. Choffel has previously performed her music at The Rustic in Dallas, and that was also part of the reason that she was hired.

Choffel has gotten support from some members of the Hispanic community.

“Selena’s music is so amazing, powerful, that it broke through so many borders and walls,” Choffel said. She invited anyone who is upset to come and see her perform. Perhaps she can change their minds.

I'm glad she stuck it through and remained positive. This did at least get her some advertisement. Unfortunately it was after the concert.

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I don't care if a person is pink with purple polka dots, a tribute is a tribute and it honors whoever they are paying tribute to. I am so sick of people not getting along and having no common sense whatsoever.

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

I love Selena, I still sing some of her songs while doing housework. I just hope the girl can do her songs justice, although I doubt it. Selena is a tough act to follow.

edit on 15-6-2018 by KTemplar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Ugggh. White people. Always doing things. When will they learn.

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 08:20 PM
link   

And so it goes.
As the country balkanizes, it tribalizes.

In the end, the center will not hold.

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Wait. From what I was told, Selena didn't even speak Spanish, just sang songs in Spanish.

ETA:
Ok, so she grew up speaking English, but learned the songs in Spanish and eventually learned Spanish later on.
edit on 15-6-2018 by rollanotherone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 08:25 AM
link   
The Media Monkeys can't help but sit on their Thumbs and Smell Them... It's what they do.... GEICO!

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 10:50 AM
link   

This is America.

So you can't pay tribute,

Can't share culture,

some melting pot eh?
edit on 16-6-2018 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Suzanna Choffel is a big deal here in Central TX. I read about this yesterday and felt disappointed. I think she is probably an awesome selection for this! If someone can intimately connect an audience to a fallen artist through their music, what else matters?! Judging from the feedback on Choffel’s Facebook page, it looks like she won most of the crowd over.

Unfortunately some people get crazy regarding race and they inevitably cut themselves off from the potential to be amazed. Instead of something that could bridge and connect, the media amplifies the exasperation of the weak minded.

Check out her page for some awesome crowd photos!

new topics

top topics

join