It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any electricians in the house, LED lighting question.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightFlight
a reply to: rickymouse

Yes. The dimmable LEDs have heavier electronics in them to handle the increased load as the voltage drops. They work very well. These are the dimmable LEDs as marked on the box or plastic container.

Maybe you could separate them so you could individually dim half or a third of them to get a variable control of the lights. You could then even run half of the alternating lights if you wanted to, every other light could be switched together or turned on and off together. You might be able to get a switch locally to do that.

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightFlight
a reply to: bananashooter

Electrician for fifty years (retired now). I calculate 450 watts total. Searching on the home depot website, I found this - 720 Watt Dimmer - which will fit in one box and more than handle your load needs.

Their are many more dimmers listed that would maybe be more to your needs. Just have to look around and see.

I was going to suggest a 1hp or maybe a 10amp pwm motor control as well. I think they are between $15 and $30 on aliexpress or ebay, probably find them on Amazon as well.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 03:52 PM
link   
An LED dimmer does not vary the voltage it controls the current flow. Most led dimmers do require a neutral connection. Also most combo dimmers are rated at 600 watts for incandescent loads and 1/2 that or 300 watt for LED’s look up the help number for Lutron controls in your area. They may have a commercial product that will comply with your needs.

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: bananashooter

Your right that size is a pain, here's 3 other options.
Link 1-
[/url]
Link 2
Link 3

I really like the bulb socket type, it makes it a 10 second install.

edit on 6 by Mandroid7 because: links jacked

edit on 6 by Mandroid7 because: same

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Nice, thanks, those are way cheaper a reply to: Mandroid7

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3
An LED dimmer does not vary the voltage it controls the current flow. Most led dimmers do require a neutral connection. Also most combo dimmers are rated at 600 watts for incandescent loads and 1/2 that or 300 watt for LED’s look up the help number for Lutron controls in your area. They may have a commercial product that will comply with your needs.

That's an interesting point. Apparently a Universal dimmer will handle LED lighting, but at only 1/4 the rated load of the device. So, only 150 watts of LED, versus 600 watts of an incandescent load.

Things have changed a lot since the old days when I used to do it for a living.

-dex

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Okay, here's what you do...

Get yourself a 750kW generator (V-12's are good) and a 200kVA transformer and install all that in your garage, then get ya two flux capacitors, and wire them in series...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join