It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any electricians in the house, LED lighting question.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 12:03 PM
link   
So I am Retrofitting a run of 15 CFL lights to LED. I am replacing them with these www.homedepot.com...< br />
The problem is they are too bright and require dimming and I cant seem to find a dimmer that will not be overloaded with all 15 LEDS, I was thinking of installing separate led dimmers on top of each LED and setting the preferred dim setting and it will not change, is that okay in NEC to do?

Is there a dimmer that can handle 15 of these?

Thanks

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: bananashooter

Maybe this one? Also works with Alexa, etc.
LED Dimmer

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: peter_kandra

Nope, that one only handles up to 300 watts led, its 600 watts incandescent.

all my LEDs combined pull 450 watts continuous plus a lot more when firs turned on.

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Damn that's a horrible deal on those lights

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Electrician for fifty years (retired now). I calculate 450 watts total. Searching on the home depot website, I found this - 720 Watt Dimmer - which will fit in one box and more than handle your load needs.

Their are many more dimmers listed that would maybe be more to your needs. Just have to look around and see.

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Why do you say that? Try finding a 8” led that will fit in existing halo can fixtures. a reply to: Mandroid7

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 12:18 PM
link   
It might not be of much help but a company called shuttle lighting manufacture dimmers to specification and I know they make a 500watt led dimmer for us here in South Africa

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Is it okay to install dimmers on each light fixture?, I don’t need to dim after I set them at the right light level .a reply to: NightFlight

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: NightFlight

And I don't have a neutral wire at the existing switch.

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 12:26 PM
link   

You can tie them all together, separate them in singles, doubles, etc. Of course you will have to pay particular attention to the minimum wattage used so the dimmer will operate correctly. However, I have a chandelier with 9 LEDs in it and I have to energize it full brightness and then dim it for it to work OK.

Like I said, one to one, two to one dimmer, It will get expensive buying a whole bunch of dimmers, boxing, wiring, etc.

BTW, Good Luck.
edit on 15-6-2018 by NightFlight because: p?

edit on 15-6-2018 by NightFlight because: n 2

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 12:30 PM
link   

I did my whole house for 7.99 a piece about a year ago. Lowes. They want $50 each.
They are the same bezel style, and pop right into existing can and have a bulb socket connection, and gasket seal to ceiling to stop air infiltration. If you have existing cans, you don't need the boxes on top like that.

On the dimmer. Some of the cfl dimmers will work on your setup, but the thing with dimmers and leds, is the minimun voltage. They start to flicker and bug out if the ballast on the led gets too low, so you need a programmable dimmer. You can set your "low" setting to be as low as the lights can run and remain stable, so in the low position on the switch they don't flicker.

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: bananashooter
a reply to: NightFlight

And I don't have a neutral wire at the existing switch.

Hopefully you will have a neutral at the existing lighting. The switch should break the black (hot) wire only. You can look up wiring diagrams for putting in lighting on the internet or You-Tube.

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 12:35 PM
link   
This style... but in 8"
blows link

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

Yeah I looked into those but they don't have them in 8"

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Not all leds bulbs are dimmable. They will not work with a standard dimmer. You need dimmable leds and the correct dimmer......trust me the folks at Home Depot are gonna sell you what they want you to have. Not to mention the folks at Home Depot don't know their arse from a hole in the ground. When all else fails.....there's a youtube video ready and waiting for you. Teach you all you need to know about the subject. Trust me if you wanted to know the proper procedure to neuter at flea......there's a youtube video for that. Good luck.

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Can't you just use lower power output lamps? Replace the 2000 lumen lamps with 1000 lumen lamps to cut the output illumination in half.

Remember that any device you use, like a dimmer, will still need to be accessible after installation.

Just my two cents...

-dex

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: DexterRiley

I cant find the 8" leds in 1000 lumen. < its going in a commercial ceiling and can be adjusted if you grab a ladder and pop a celing tile, it doesn't need to be adjusted again after setting.

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Can you actually dim those LED bulbs? Many don't dim properly.

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Yes. The dimmable LEDs have heavier electronics in them to handle the increased load as the voltage drops. They work very well. These are the dimmable LEDs as marked on the box or plastic container.
edit on 15-6-2018 by NightFlight because: cant splle

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: bananashooter
a reply to: DexterRiley

I cant find the 8" leds in 1000 lumen. its going in a commercial ceiling and can be adjusted if you grab a ladder and pop a celing tile, it doesn't need to be adjusted again after setting.

I see.

Well, this dimmer at Home Depot handles 600 watts. That's large enough to handle your whole 450 watt load.

-dex

top topics

<<   2 >>

join