It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hostages are Stable as Ransom Increases

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

They are being detained. Not incarcerated. Any lawyer will tell you it is SOP. They will first have an assesment to see if there is credible fear. Then they will see a judge. If the judge approves them they will be set free. If the judge denies them they may be set free on appeal or detained while waiting for appeal, that's up to the judge...not Trump. No new laws have been enacted.

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

you mean the capitalism they are fleeing here in droves to take part in?? lol

I think many of our wars, covert ops and coups are capitalistic pursuits for big corporations. I think the US is not only culpable for the aftermath of those populations affected, but they are obligated to take in a percentage of refugees and asylum seekers that their policies have created. I think the US has a moral obligation to help our neighbors who are less fortunate.

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Arizonaguy

You're right. There are no new laws, just new policies.

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: howtonhawky

Yes, people who break the law and are put in prison are separated from their children. Don't break the law.

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Yes, people who break the law and are put in prison are separated from their children. Don't break the law.

That's not true. People break the law all the time, and pay a fine, do community service, etc. Jail is not an ordinary punishment for simply breaking the law, and prison is even less ordinary. Jail and prisons are for violent offenders, duis removed from the road, domestic abusers, burglars, rapists, robbers, thieves and gang bangers, for example.

Families attempting to get on US soil, trespassing, in order to ask for asylum are not dangerous criminal that need to be locked up. Even though they are taking children from parents at border stations, there are also families that cross at the "wrong" location and then go looking for law enforcement to turn themselves in. These people don't belong in prison. They aren't dangerous to society.

Migrant workers. who travel with their families and get arrested in raids, aren't dangerous people, but they may have legitimately fled from a dangerous situation, that was out of their control. So, they too are legally allowed to ask for asylum, once arrested. One the other hand, employers who knowingly hired illegal immigrants are guilty of a felony or two. Put them in prison and take their kids from them.

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

Jack booted comment

Perhaps you left out intent of actions and due process? very convenient

It is up to you as a perceiver to put things into proper context before making general wide sweeping ignorant comment.

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 12:45 PM
link   

I have a question? What is your solution would you put the children in jail with their parents? Or would you release the parents so they can be with there children meaning of course no border control. I hear people complaining a lot but i dont hear alternate solutions.

The best solution in my opinion would be not allow anyone to stay who shows up at the border. My solution would be only people that have applied theough a local embassy would be allowed to enter. Everyone else is immediately turned around no waiting for amnesty approval. Turn back everyone from thr border immediately and you wont separate families.

So whats your alternative no border??

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

how about we just admit that separating the kids was only done in a few cases in the past when necessary.

we should understand the impact that the unaccompanied child rush a few yrs ago was a time when we had to house children for obvious reasons.

now see that the current admin has combined the method of housing children away from parents and applied that to the majority of entries where people are seeking refuge.

that is where the current argument stems.

i purpose we stop conflating the two separate issues.

it is an unconstitutional new action that will only came into play to garner funding for a wall.

remember the problem at first was people smuggling people and drugs across the border and now they want to make people wanting asylum the problem.

The people being detained and separated are in no way smuggling drugs or people.

Those are being dealt with by the national guard.

The heart of the problem at this point is not the border imo it is the welfare system and the way to deal with the welfare system is not to use terror tactics in order to dissuade asylum seekers.

I say let this play out through the next push to get a bill passed and if they fail again then at that point the unconstitutional actions have to be dealt with.

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Correct me if im wromg...

....if they can prove they are their children they keep them. If they cant, we keep them until proof can be found.

Its to stop human trafficking. And i support that.

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Jack booted comment

It's called reality. If I go to jail I can't take my wife and kids with me. Why is this so hard for you to understand?

How dense are you? I've seen you post some doozies, but this one is beyond the pale stupid.

It is up to you as a perceiver to put things into proper context before making general wide sweeping ignorant comment.

Your lack of self-awareness is astounding.

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 01:15 PM
link   
What I learned in this thread.

Feelings come before laws and facts. People are allowed to break the law, as long as they're not US citizens, in that case, screw em. Lock em up, especially if they voted for Trump.

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

dude

it depends on the severity of the crime

stop playing like a fool

these people have not committed a crime by seeking asylum

ask yourself why have we never separated everyone like this before?

if you lower the bar then it will come back to you in some negative form.

if you do not want to be unjustly separated from your life liberty or pursuit of happiness then you had better wise up

treat your neighbors as yourself

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

If I go to jail ...

Hopefully, unlike immigrants seeking asylum, your punishment will fit the crime, and your children and wife will be better off in your absence.

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 01:34 PM
link   

You do realize that being granted asylum is a privilege, not a right.

It occurs to me that if the asylum granting process is so horribly backlogged as apparently it is, the process at the border should be simplified to the point that only those seeking to enter on temporary tourist visas issued from a US Embassy should be allowed to enter. Those seeking asylum should be directed to the nearest embassy or consulate to fill out the paper work and other wise stay in Mexico awaiting disposition of their application or to return home to Guatemala or whatever to await disposition of their asylum application.

Entry into the US isn't a right, its a privilege as well. This business of crossing over to apply for asylum in the US and then wanting to stay in the US without legal status is just plain non-sense.

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

Asylum seekers can't file from as Us Embassy or consulate. In order to apply for US asylum, one must be on US soil. That's the law. Refugee status can be filed for from an Embassy or consulate.

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Well, that law certainly needs be changed!

www.nolo.com...

People outside of the U.S. must apply for refugee status. People who have already made it to the U.S. border or the interior (perhaps by using a visa or by entering illegally) can apply for asylum status.

Problem solved! Deny entry and give them a map to the nearest consulate or embassy where they can apply for Refugee status.

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

i think it has to do with the Geneva convention among other factors

more of a world agreement

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

You do realize that being granted asylum is a privilege, not a right.

It occurs to me that if the asylum granting process is so horribly backlogged as apparently it is, the process at the border should be simplified to the point that only those seeking to enter on temporary tourist visas issued from a US Embassy should be allowed to enter. Those seeking asylum should be directed to the nearest embassy or consulate to fill out the paper work and other wise stay in Mexico awaiting disposition of their application or to return home to Guatemala or whatever to await disposition of their asylum application.

Entry into the US isn't a right, its a privilege as well. This business of crossing over to apply for asylum in the US and then wanting to stay in the US without legal status is just plain non-sense.

except it has not been a serious problem until now we have dealt with it for decades and it is a separate issue from illegal border crossings and smuggling.

the new procedure of separating families is unnecessary and unjust

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

Well, that law certainly needs be changed!

www.nolo.com...

People outside of the U.S. must apply for refugee status. People who have already made it to the U.S. border or the interior (perhaps by using a visa or by entering illegally) can apply for asylum status.

Problem solved! Deny entry and give them a map to the nearest consulate or embassy where they can apply for Refugee status.

Right!? They should be insisting on "opening up" asylum laws to include embasies and consulates instead of punishing those just trying to find their way!

edit on 16-6-2018 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 02:08 PM
link   

You're correct and that's a big part of the problem. It explains why there's this mass migration going on all over the world.

Read yesterday however that Italy has said BASTA, they aren't taking anymore in.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join