It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Long and Annoying Death Throes of Political Correctness

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 02:31 PM
link   
When a political bagmen leaked the now infamous Access Hollywood tape to the gutter press, who spread the nonsense as quick as its proverbial legs, I was immediately reminded of the stakes of that election.

By that time we had become accustomed to living in a world where the victimless crime of saying something politically incorrect could, and would, be used to end someone’s career. Meanwhile the scoundrels of these affairs, and those who poured surreptitiously through someone’s comments in order to find a damning combination of words with which to embarrass, lambast and hopefully ruin a victim, were always given full impunity by the press and public.

Such is the general hypocrisy and paradox of living in the West. Hence the growing malaise. We live in a culture where there is more sex, more nudity, more obscenity, more cursing, more fame-seeking, more ritualistic depictions of nonsense than any preceding generation (worth the hard fought battles, I might add). At the same time there was a growing climate of sensitivity and outrage among the political and Twitter class, who, in the absence of any real power, play the victims to our thoughts and words in order to maintain dominance over our language and minds.

In truth, when the Access Hollywood tape hit, I thought it was all over. After all, it wasn’t too many years ago that a “gaffe”, so long as it was churned and repeated ad nauseam by a gutter press, would convince the populace to abandon a candidate. Hardly any freedom-loving citizen defended the victim, his privacy, his free speech, nor did they deplore the self-pitying outrage that resulted from this: the basest sensationalism. I mean, how could they? By most accounts he had spoken heresy (his whole life was heresy to them). Soon after the spectacle, countless unnamed and imagined victims were being brought forward, dangled like so much fodder in front of the virulent mob: the women whom he was no doubt “boasting” about, “our mothers, wives and daughters”, “common decency”, and so on. Even though, by account of one of the several observers actually present, it was all “hypothetical hot air from America’s highest-rated bloviator”, where “every single one of us assumed we were listening to a crass standup act”, this sort of take was repudiated one in favour of ad hoc, decades-late analysis. The result of this propaganda was the arrival of that familiar, pitch-forked and menacing mob, who proceeded to burn the man in effigy, symbolizing just how much they wanted to burn him in reality.

We’ve seen it all before, not only in more censorial, inquisitorial, and superstitious ages, but in the years running up to the election. The relatively benign and harmless action—in this case, the offhand, private comment shared between boastful men—is what we were taught to take issue with. The use of that information to ruin lives, to generate hatred, (in more censorial times to torture and execute), and to convince the weak-minded among us to take up group think and moral posturing (most especially, to vote accordingly) garnered little to no criticism.

Some of the biggest marches in history were predicated on this one trifling statement, and they had the hats to prove it. In contrast to this, when many gross and powerful men in Hollywood were soon after exposed for taking the whole casting couch legend too far (the most prominent and evil of them having participated in the aforementioned marches), there was little to no interest in marching on Hollywood. It was, after all, about the language, and not any real injustice.

But, to my surprise and delight, that candidate—a crass and unapologetic billionaire playboy known as Donald Trump—won the presidency against all expectations, and didn’t have to repent and grovel in order to do so. Political correctness had lost. There was hope, and in this case, it was a great orange one.

We are now nearly half-way through President Trump’s first term. As expected by reasonable people, the oppression, the fascism, the concentration camps, and the despotism we were promised never arrived. The politically correct, though, have continued their assault, having made innumerable attempts to use the president’s dialect, mannerism, and speech against him, just like they did during the election. And there are still people who believe that his words, course and uncouth at some times, rambling and incoherent in others, will lead the world to ruin.

But none of it is working. They keep crying “wolf” (often with a banshee’s shriek), but each time we look, all we see is that same old, unrefined, indelicate sheep-dog standing guard over the sheep rather than plotting to eviscerate them. And like heresy, blasphemy, apostasy, unorthodoxy, and dissent before it, political incorrectness is becoming harder and harder to condemn and punish. But like the Inquisition, the witch hunts, the ritualistic murder and torture and auto da fait of those who thought against the grain of orthodoxy, political correctness is looking more and more like the wolf of this entire affair.

I hope that, when it is all over, and the world moves into another era, political correctness will be proven as effete and insecure as those who adhere to it. But in the meantime, we should bask in this minor victory. At least it will help muffle the long and annoying death throes of political correctness.

LesMis

edit on 14-6-2018 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 02:38 PM
link   
So, PC people get offended and "cry wolf"...so the people who get offended by the PC people being offended is?

Recursion?

Pot meet kettle?

What is it?

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: AScrubWhoDied
So, PC people get offended and "cry wolf"...so the people who get offended by the PC people being offended is? Recursion? Pot meet kettle? What is it?

You gotta do better than that, bub.

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

[/yawn]

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 02:55 PM
link   

So, PC people get offended and "cry wolf"...so the people who get offended by the PC people being offended is?

Recursion?

Pot meet kettle?

What is it?

You’re not offended by censorship and thought police?

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: AScrubWhoDied

No, PC people get offended and try to ruin your life.

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Another great example of virtue signaling. Good job Les, you're getting very good at this.

(post by CornishCeltGuy removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 03:05 PM
link   

People always forget the second part of his statement.
"they let you do it."
This implies consent. Nothing to apologize for.

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
Another great example of virtue signaling. Good job Les, you're getting very good at this.

And another good job at pretending to know what that word means. You excel at defending the perpetrators of injustice.

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

Recursion?

Pot meet kettle?

What is it?

You’re not offended by censorship and thought police?

I've never been censored outside of places like ATS where I have clearly violated the TOS I agreed to.
My thought's have never been policed by anyone.

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
No, PC people get offended and try to ruin your life.

I don't understand this response in context of my original question. Are you saying that when you get offended about PC people being offended, you get offended because that PC person who got offended will try to ruin your life?
How so?

So, if you post on facebook "I don't like black people" and you lose your job, it's not your fault, but some other person that got offended is to blame? Or, are you offended because you'd like to be able to post things like that to facebook without consequences?

(post by LesMisanthrope removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

The OP would bow to a foreign monarch before joining with citizens in a common cause though, says it all to me lol.
His sanctimonious holier than thou lines are lame as #.

I’m not sure disguising your stupidity behind the euphemism of “common cause” works any more.
Stupidity? LMAO, you are from Canada, a nation which has a foreign monarch as head of state, and you despise activism.
You are a peasant mate.

...a subservient peasant.
edit on 14-6-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 03:11 PM
link   

As to the Access Hollywood tapes, I'll just quote Eminem on his song 'Heat'...

about the only thing i agree on with Donald is that

Seriously though, people obviously take life way to seriously... but, so what? It just sounds like a them problem to me.

You can either drag yourself down to their level and get yourself all worked up over them being offended about total nonsense... Or you can have a little fun with it.

Just strike first, then ignore the replies... That's my motto.

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 03:11 PM
link   

I've never been censored outside of places like ATS where I have clearly violated the TOS I agreed to.

You haven’t lived. It is likely you have no sense of justice. I haven’t been raped, but that doesn’t mean I am not offended when someone is.

(post by LesMisanthrope removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

Seriously though, people obviously take life way to seriously... but, so what? It just sounds like a them problem to me.

You can either drag yourself down to their level and get yourself all worked up over them being offended about total nonsense... Or you can have a little fun with it.

That’s a fair take. For my part, I see it as an injustice and will fight it tooth and nail.

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 03:19 PM
link   

a reply to: OccamsRazor04

The OP would bow to a foreign monarch before joining with citizens in a common cause though, says it all to me lol.
His sanctimonious holier than thou lines are lame as #.

I’m not sure disguising your stupidity behind the euphemism of “common cause” works any more.
Stupidity? LMAO, you are from Canada, a nation which has a foreign monarch as head of state, and you despise activism.
You are a peasant mate.

...a subservient peasant.

Did you think of this with your nose burried in someone’s ass like a cow, as they lead you to a “common cause”?

My activist 'common cause' kicked Monsanto out of the UK, we have no GM crops, I am proud to have been part of the revolution, our organic farms are truly organic...yours in Canada are #ting themselves about cross pollination.

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 03:20 PM
link   

You haven’t lived. It is likely you have no sense of justice. I haven’t been raped, but that doesn’t mean I am not offended when someone is.

Oh, I haven't lived?

Tell me, which activity should I partake in to experience this censorship? Shall I proceed to post stupid # on the internet with a picture of my face right next to it?

I've never been raped either, nor do I use those that have to further my point....

If being offended is a 'great injustice' and you're offended that people get offended....

I just don't know what to type in response to something like that.

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

That’s a fair take. For my part, I see it as an injustice and will fight it tooth and nail.

LOL. Now you're being a SJW like the rest of them.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join