It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Most Successful Ethnic Group in the US May Surprise You

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I believe this goes against all the Africans have lower IQs nonsense. I believe in nature over nurture, people that grew up in Africa don't have the same stigma of the African Americans that grew up here of racism and the victim mentality. People in America tend to have a really crappy work ethic regardless of skin color. If we all had a work ethic like the Amish America would truly be great again!!

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

The white population is splitting. You basically have upper class and lower class. The lower class exhibits a lot of the same social and cultural dysfunction that has rooted itself in the black community. Fatherless homes, poor education, etc. Basically, white trash culture. The outcomes are the same...

This is exactly right. Poor white people and poor black people not only live in the same communities but they suffer from the same afflictions.

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: Spider879

Wow thanks for the link, didn't know that was actually a thing, but yes old line AAs do need rediscover their potential as was thwarted during the early yrs of the 20th century.

I think American born blacks would have followed the same path as Nigerians... however, liberalism took away much of the community drive that focused on education and entrepreneurship. We took a wrong turn I think in the 50s & 60s...

it's really an issue of culture, I've lived around poor black people my entire life and one common factor is ghetto culture

ghetto culture is super destructive

Yes, it is ghetto culture. It got normalized in the 70s with the war on poverty.

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 02:06 PM
link   
There are so many facets to this its hard to pin down a cause and effect. I think part of what we are seeing is the difference between a culture that rewards participation and a culture that rewards success. If all you have to do to get your trophy is show up why go the extra mile? Especially if someone will call you a hostile masculine threat for being so competitive if you do. We are creating conditions in which people are unlikely to strive for excellence out of fear, complacency, or simply the knowledge that someone else will do it.

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Wow thanks for the link, didn't know that was actually a thing, but yes old line AAs do need rediscover their potential as was thwarted during the early yrs of the 20th century.

I think American born blacks would have followed the same path as Nigerians... however, liberalism took away much of the community drive that focused on education and entrepreneurship. We took a wrong turn I think in the 50s & 60s...

it's really an issue of culture, I've lived around poor black people my entire life and one common factor is ghetto culture

ghetto culture is super destructive

Yes, it is ghetto culture. It got normalized in the 70s with the war on poverty.

Oh without a doubt. The glorification of gangster/ thug mentality by mainstream culture really took root in the 90's when I was growing up. Then came Eminem and brought in all the poor white kids and boom.

Now where I live (saving money and getting an education) thug culture is everywhere and it hurts the entire community. First it destroys the housing prices which force decent people to move. Then parents move because there's less money for the schools, then the property value drops to nothing then all the poorest people move here from other big expensive cities and start gang wars for territory.

I'm literally watching this exact thing play out live in real time.

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Bravo for the Nigerian-American community! It is a double-edged sword however in that these same people could be helping to build a better country in Nigeria. There were 21,000 Nigerian-American doctors practicing in the US back in 1995 who would have made a critical difference there - especially in light of the AIDS and ebola epidemics.

Though split between Islam and Christianity they are both religions that preserve the family unit. The values transmitted through the parents is being passed on each generation. Without the expectation and support of the family such successes would be rare and random events.

I'm inclined to think that due to geography Nigeria's place in central Africa is rather like that of Iraq, where many peoples and cultures have long established ties together. Organic multiculturalism if you will. These become fertile grounds for civilizing forces that manifest in the people who there.

Though colonialism is very bad word these days it was the introduction of European technology, culture and law that set up Nigeria to compete in the modern world. British colonial rule was harsh but very effective and formed the basis for the administrations and institutions there today.

You are right, it is a surprise but only if you are as ignorant as I am about Nigerians. Thanks for a thought-provoking thread that prompted me to research and learn about them.
edit on 14-6-2018 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

This just proves skin color is not a detriment to intelligence/working hard and/or obtaining degrees in elite professions. Most use skin color as an excuse to be ignorant and lazy.

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

I can agree somewhat, schools in the Caribbean and Japan are competitive, in Jamaica for example, your test results are publicly posted, the grade or home RM matched your skills, eg you want to be in class 4 A and among the top 5 , you don't want to be in 4C at the bottom last 5, public shame would cause you to want to move from that lowly position, you have to work to keep your position in home RM 4 A .however when I transferred to high school in the states I blow passed everyone without really trying and was beginning to become a smart assed nuisance who skipped gym or last period and head to coney island with friends, so they sent me to a higher grade and that settled me down.

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

Interestingly enough Uganda, Nigeria and a few other west African countries are the most diverse in the world.

I've been considering making a move and taking my telecommunications skills there.

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 02:19 PM
link   

It should shape it with legal immigrants are welcome.

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 02:20 PM
link   

a reply to: toysforadults

I can agree somewhat, schools in the Caribbean and Japan are competitive, in Jamaica for example, your test results are publicly posted, the grade or home RM matched your skills, eg you want to be in class 4 A and among the top 5 , you don't want to be in 4C at the bottom last 5, public shame would cause you to want to move from that lowly position, you have to work to keep your position in home RM 4 A .however when I transferred to high school in the states I blow passed everyone without really trying and was beginning to become a smart assed nuisance who skipped gym or last period and head to coney island with friends, so they sent me to a higher grade and that settled me down.

that's actually kind of the opposite of the culture here in the US where students look down on you for being intelligent/ smart.

our schools truly are garbage it's bad, it's our culture that manifest into the schools though

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: UnBreakable

This just proves skin color is not a detriment to intelligence/working hard and/or obtaining degrees in elite professions. Most use skin color as an excuse to be ignorant and lazy.

it's not about the skin color, it's about the culture so as my last post and the post I was responding to addressed it's the cultural factor that plays the biggest roll in what's produced

Terrence Mckenna was pretty dern good.

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Nigerian?

I'm still waiting for the money to be released so the king can send me those millions!!

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Yes Brain drain is a problem and Nigeria's lost is Americas gain, but I think most are socially aware and do try and help out in the old country, a recent story about a Nigerian nurse whose money got confiscated at the airport , she was using it to build a clinic.
Nurse who saved for Africa clinic left in limbo after US Customs seized $41,377
www.theguardian.com...

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Yes Brain drain is a problem and Nigeria's lost is Americas gain, but I think most are socially aware and do try and help out in the old country, a recent story about a Nigerian nurse whose money got confiscated at the airport , she was using it to build a clinic.
Nurse who saved for Africa clinic left in limbo after US Customs seized $41,377
www.theguardian.com...

A lot of countries are experiencing it... it is just so much easier to make a lot of money in America. Although, a couple of my classmates from business school went back to Africa to do startups and other tech stuff. They seem to be doing ok.

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: UnBreakable

it's not about the skin color, it's about the culture so as my last post and the post I was responding to addressed it's the cultural factor that plays the biggest roll in what's produced

Terrence Mckenna was pretty dern good.

Understood. But skin color plays a predominant role in various cultures. And here in America unfortunately skin color is judged as a primary factor before identifying as to what culture it defines. Most, not all, people make snap decisions based solely on skin color and pre-judge as to the degree of intelligence it implies.

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Brain drain is a huge problem with immigration that few want to talk about.

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 02:45 PM
link   

For the same reason I want to move to africa

They are devloping nations so there is cheap land and a burdgeoning telecom industry with a serious lack of skills

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: UnBreakable

I don't know anyone who does that. I know many who will judge based on clothing etc, but they will judge a white kid with their pants hanging below their ass or with dreds and tats just as much.

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Interestingly enough Uganda, Nigeria and a few other west African countries are the most diverse in the world.

I've been considering making a move and taking my telecommunications skills there.

Then you should go to Rwanda they are positioning themselves to be the IT hub of all East Africa and they ain't plying either, three working days to set up shop, no bribes etc.
Kagame urges African govts to cut the red tape

President Paul Kagame has called on African governments to work on improving business conditions to achieve the much desired private sector led growth.
www.newtimes.co.rw...

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join