It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Most Successful Ethnic Group in the US May Surprise You

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Text
A couple of yrs ago I posted something about Nigerian dads and their no nonsense approach to education, and how at the time they their level of education was in England higher than the national average, and they were a pretty close behind immigrants from NE Asia in the U.S, well now it seemed that they have surpassed them..BTW Caribbean folks and other folks from Africa didn't do too badly either.
I saw this being discussed on my feed and I thought it interesting, given all the hoopla about immigrants from sht hole countries recently, as to who should be here and who should not, it also have the potential of the model minority crap others used to beat old line AAs over the head with.

At an Onyejekwe family get-together, you can’t throw a stone without hitting someone with a master’s degree. Doctors, lawyers, engineers, professors — every family member is highly educated and professionally successful, and many have a lucrative side gig to boot. Parents and grandparents share stories of whose kid just won an academic honor Aunts, uncles and cousins celebrate one another’s job promotions or the new nonprofit one of them just started. To the Ohio-based Onyejekwes, this level of achievement is normal. They’re Nigerian-American — it’s just what they do www.ozy.com...

But this do not just reflect education levels but economic as well, they beat the nation average including native white folks and way ahead of AAs who finished depressingly last on the list.
How should this shape our immigration policy if at all, what does this say about young native old line Americans of what ever ethnic hue.
edit on 6.14.2018 by Kandinsky because: Dialled down the all caps shouty title.

edit on 14-6-2018 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

+17 more 
posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 12:02 PM
link   
These are the people that will MAGA, not the ones demanding handouts or alternative curriculum

+7 more 
posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

But they're dark skinned this shouldn't be possible in America with light skin privilege.

Looks like people are just people after all regardless of skin color.

+15 more 
posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I guess this blows the whole concept of White Privilege apart.

+9 more 
posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 12:09 PM
link   
The Dream can be alive within anyone if they just put their Heart and Soul into it.

Let this be a lesson to anyone who wants to improve their lot in life.
Don't give up.

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: muzzleflash
The Dream can be alive within anyone if they just put their Heart and Soul into it.

Let this be a lesson to anyone who wants to improve their lot in life.
Don't give up.

Agreed but how should this shape our immigration policy or not.

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove

But they're dark skinned this shouldn't be possible in America with light skin privilege.

Looks like people are just people after all regardless of skin color.

Well it"s not like they are immune from it, remember that story from Yale a few wks ago about a student got the police called on her for napping in the day RM, well she is apparently Nigerian.

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 12:18 PM
link   

can you show us your vacation photos from your Haiti trip?

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Wonder who paid for their abundance of degrees? Wonder what class of Nigerians this is open to and how many? And not so sure of your reference, either. Lots of b**s*** info being spewed these days. Sorry, don't buy it.

There's a huge bias against the whte population in this society. The more immigrants this country "hosts" the more we are hated. So much for white bias, huh?

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

No never been to Haiti, but I do traveled to other countries not considered wealthy by any stretch of the imagination.

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Justso

I think if it followed regular immigration patterns then , the first generation, do the heavy lifting, their kids get to go on to higher learning, using my family's or Jamaican community pattern that is.
Buying a first home or money for College and Uni is paid for by something called Susu.
Did a thread on it back in the day check it out if you want

Susu Banking System How to avoid Banksters
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 12:35 PM
link   

it seemed like you latched on to the sh!thole countries comment. Just so you know, most folks don't travel to Haiti because it is kind of a third world country and not a great vacation spot, some might even say "sh!thole". It's not a slight on the people there, just the culture and location. Just like Detroit. Great folks, bad place.

On the topic of educating the kids to help them make better decisions and rise above abject poverty, that can only be a good thing. It's worthy of applause. it's a shame that mentality isn't popular among some of the poor areas in the US.

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

It wasn't just about Haiti but Nigeria was involved as well as others, I said in that thread, that the nations maybe shtoles but the people are not.

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 12:41 PM
link   

West Africans have some of the highest genetic diversity on the planet, coming from one of the oldest in-place base populations of humans on earth, augmented by early migrations. Accordingly, they produce one of the widest range of traits on the planet. Look to Africa to produce some of the most influential humans during this century, and beyond.

I had friends from Nigeria in college (Minnesota). They were really fun guys. This was in the early 1980's. Nigerians love to laugh, dance, eat, and enjoy life. They can also work their butts off. Cudos to these fine folks!

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 12:52 PM
link   
- Haiti was one of the most beautiful Caribbean islands until the US got involved (surprise!) in the mid 80s when it became a heaven to drug trafficking and cartel smuggling to and fro cuba Miami Columbia Panama, then it all went to shiite due to corruption and human trafficking.

- Haiti is dead smack on a massive fault line and hot spot for massive hurricanes in the eye of central America.

Haitian like Nigerians who migrate to the US treat education and a job like a rite and a must.

but too many immigrants in need when Americans are in need is no good for anyone.
strong borders and a little more method to the immigration madness is not a bad thing.

but I agree with the general consensus, black immigrants from certain poor countries (aka sh!tholes) do toil away at 2 or more jobs and see college as the main goal as opposed to 'hand outs'.

they're just guilty by association... the American way.

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879
..BTW Caribbean folks and other folks from Africa didn't do too badly either.

That's because Caribbean folk aren't lazy lima beans and have at least tree job man.

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

..BTW Caribbean folks and other folks from Africa didn't do too badly either.

That's because Caribbean folk aren't lazy lima beans and have at least tree job man.

Hahaha, funny story I wanted money to go see a flick with my new girl friend, got the runaround from Moms, sigh I went to see dad, he went into the long bs story about sharing one pair of shoes between his brothers, they had to switch up every day and walked for god knows how many miles to school.. I looked at this cheap lying ass sideways, he promptly took me across the street to Alex Fabric to get me my first job, sweeping up, the pay was crap, but at least I could take my new girl to Time Sq..

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

Haiti's problems is with the quality of it's leaders, they had a small golden era after the revolution, but most of their leaders following that weren't about nothing. Haiti and DR shared the same space and the difference is night and day despite corruption and strongmen for life on both side of the Island, but the ppl?? Salt of the earth.

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Text
A couple of yrs ago I posted something about Nigerian dads and their no nonsense approach to education, and how at the time they their level of education was the in England higher than the national average, and they were a pretty close behind immigrants from NE Asia in the U.S, well now it seemed that they have surpassed them..BTW Caribbean folks and other folks from Africa didn't do too badly either.
I saw this being discussed on my feed and I thought it interesting, given all the hoopla about immigrants from sht hole countries recently, as to who should be here and who should not, it also have the potential of the model minority crap others used to beat old line AAs over the head with.

At an Onyejekwe family get-together, you can’t throw a stone without hitting someone with a master’s degree. Doctors, lawyers, engineers, professors — every family member is highly educated and professionally successful, and many have a lucrative side gig to boot. Parents and grandparents share stories of whose kid just won an academic honor Aunts, uncles and cousins celebrate one another’s job promotions or the new nonprofit one of them just started. To the Ohio-based Onyejekwes, this level of achievement is normal. They’re Nigerian-American — it’s just what they do www.ozy.com...

But this do not just reflect education levels but economic as well, they beat the nation average including native white folks and way ahead of AAs who finished depressingly last on the list.
How should this shape our immigration policy if at all, what does this say about young native old line Americans of what ever ethnic hue.

I've posted that tidbit before. It proves that there is very little "systematic racism" holding down American born blacks that strong family and focus on education can't cure. Most of the time when you hear about a black kid being accepted to all the ivies, it almost always is a Nigerian.

Here is a funny story. Black students at Cornell protested that there were too many Africans at Cornell who counted as black students. I just can't even stop laughing at this nonesense... too many african students who count as black, yet the club walks around with red, black and green flags...

Black Students Protest Africans at Cornell

This brings us to the Cornell University's Black Students United and whether the organization is engaging in racism — against blacks. The BSU complains that the prestigious Ivy League school admits too many blacks — from Africa and the Caribbean. "We demand that Cornell Admissions to come up with a plan to actively increase the presence of underrepresented Black students on this campus," the BSU student group said in its demands. "We define underrepresented Black students as Black Americans who have several generations (more than two) in this country."

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 01:20 PM
link   

No surprise to me.

I've known for a while that immigrants from Africa and the Caribbean do much better than our native African-Americans.

And it should also serve to help prove that America is not the horrid, racist place it's being portrayed as, either. If immigrants of color can come and succeed while their racial counterparts languish, then the problem may not lie entirely in the system itself, but in the cultural differences.

How do the cultural attitudes and practices of Nigerian immigrants and Caribbean immigrants differ from those of African-Americans? That might tell us quite a bit.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join