It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Non US top secret aircraft

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Have any of you people heared about any non US secret aircraft? I bet that there are some. And please keep any posts out like US stuff is way more advanced or better omfgkthxbaibbq.

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I think it would be foolish to assume that Russia, Great Britain, France, China, India, Israel, Japan and other countries are not working secretly on indigenous advanced aircraft...

Of course I have no proof, but I would be very surprised if the first 3 countries I mentioned did not have secret or unacknowledged stealth aircraft/UCAVs in development.

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Theres a little thing called google, you should try it out

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 03:14 AM
link   
I used google and a load of pages about the US comes up.

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by intelgurl
I think it would be foolish to assume that Russia, Great Britain, France, China, India, Israel, Japan and other countries are not working secretly on indigenous advanced aircraft...

Of course I have no proof, but I would be very surprised if the first 3 countries I mentioned did not have secret or unacknowledged stealth aircraft/UCAVs in development.

Well I think that Russia is concentrating on Berkut and especially on Pak-Fa. They also need to upgrade their Su-27, so I don't think they are developing something entirely new.
I also highly doubt UK develops something by their own - it is more likely they will invest in JSF with EF and maybe buy some x-45 drones from US.

I heard France develops some UCAV, but I don't know if it is similar to x-45 or Predator.
China concentrates on J-10,11 etc series and buys russsian tech, but they are developing some UCAV too (similar to France).

India - maybe something...
Japan - No. They still have crisis and they don't invest much into the military. They had not their own AC during their economy boom, so I don;t think they would try now. Maybe they will later buy JSF or even F-22.
Israel - maybe something tactical, but nothig special and maybe they will cooperate with India or China on their UCAVs.

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 04:28 AM
link   
France has revealed some UCAV projects but it remains to be seen whether these have only been revealed because they have moved onto something else or whether they are fully fledged development programmes.

The major UK independant effort today is centred on FOAS, of which 'Replica' forms a part. This is such a loosely defined programme however covering 'studies' of everything from armed Hercules through UCAV and F-35 based strike aircraft up to B-2 like strategic bombers (unlikely to get built for sure) that ir could easily be used as cover for currently unknown programmes.

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
The major UK independant effort today is centred on FOAS, of which 'Replica' forms a part. This is such a loosely defined programme however covering 'studies' of everything from armed Hercules through UCAV and F-35 based strike aircraft up to B-2 like strategic bombers (unlikely to get built for sure) that ir could easily be used as cover for currently unknown programmes.

FOAS could be used as coverup but I don't think this is the case.
Reasons :
- relatively restricted UK mil.budget (in comparison to US,China,Russia) - with the purchase of EF and JSF-B there is simply not much money (and no need ) for additional aircraft.
- lack of threats - Cold war is over and I don't think planes against terrorist is a good idea
. Again no need for something new.
- tradition - lately, UK planes are based on proven designs (except Harrier) so I think it is more likely to buy/licence form US (or built in co-op with EU - but I dont think in such case it will remain secret).

IMO the future british airforce will consist only of Eurofighters, and versatile cargoplanes able also to carry Tomahawks (I actually like this idea:up
. After the fighters purchase the money will flow mainly into the new cargoplanes. I highly doubt they will try to develop or purchase long range bombers. If the UCAVs are proved to be effective and cheap enough than also X-45. This all + carriers with JSF is sufficient in my opinion.

BTW I have 2 questions
- how long are Tornados expected to be in service
- do the RAF have the plans to use F-35B too like USAF for CAS? (in addition to the RN)

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by longbow
[
FOAS could be used as coverup but I don't think this is the case.
Reasons :
- relatively restricted UK mil.budget (in comparison to US,China,Russia) - with the purchase of EF and JSF-B there is simply not much money (and no need ) for additional aircraft.

This is true except FOAS is aimed at replacing the Tornado and at the same time introducing a long range strike element that we have lacked since the Vulcan was retired.

- lack of threats - Cold war is over and I don't think planes against terrorist is a good idea
. Again no need for something new.

This is fairly sound reasoning and has been used in the argument against the USAF procurement of the Raptor, however the ever changing nature of threats is something that should not be ignored IMHO, I hope those that use this argument do not get their way.

- tradition - lately, UK planes are based on proven designs (except Harrier) so I think it is more likely to buy/licence form US (or built in co-op with EU - but I dont think in such case it will remain secret).

This is a comment that has baffled me, Jaguar, Tornado, Typhoon etc were all-new designs and not based on anything that already existed whereas the current Harrier was a re-engineered version of a plane that had already been in service 15 years so, if anything, the polar opposite of what you say is true. However I agree that if an all new FOAS is selected it will not be produced by BAE Systems alone and it will either be a straight purchase off the shelf or a UK/US or pan European venture.

IMO the future british airforce will consist only of Eurofighters, and versatile cargoplanes able also to carry Tomahawks (I actually like this idea:up
. I don'tAfter the fighters purchase the money will flow mainly into the new cargoplanes. I highly doubt they will try to develop or purchase long range bombers. If the UCAVs are proved to be effective and cheap enough than also X-45. This all + carriers with JSF is sufficient in my opinion.

BTW I have 2 questions
- how long are Tornados expected to be in service The FOAS is *suppoosed* to replace the Tornado from 2014-2018

- do the RAF have the plans to use F-35B too like USAF for CAS? (in addition to the RN)

With the removal of the Sea Harrier from service un-replaced it is most likely that ALL UK F-35B's will be operated by the RAF.

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Here is an interesting article fro ERA.

All about how they built a British stealth test bed. (Non Flyable )

www.era.co.uk...

certainly is worth a look.

[edit on 20-2-2005 by MadGrimbo]

I love this bit.... " How ever, our leading edge capability in stealth technology may come as a suprise to many people"

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 10:07 AM
link   
And here is the picture that goes with it...looks one sweet aircraft!

Looks much nicer than the ugly fat JSF.

www.newscientist.com...

so come on BAe / ERA, and build the beast...you know you want to!

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 02:51 PM
link   
MadGrimbo it is just an airframe, it was never suposed to fly. It is not that difficult to build stealth airframe (Lampyridae for example) but getting it into the air is other thing. You must balance the stealth, speed, manevrability, avionics etc...

BTW there is reason, why JSF is "fat" - it needs space for internal bomb bays.

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Yeah but its so fat that it had to go on a crash diet just to fly....ROFL!!!!!

Its a good plane, but that baby on the pylon, with a few million pounds, could be alot sweeter....looks nicer any how! thats just my pennys worth any way.

top topics

join