It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man swims 1,200 miles to protect river.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2003 @ 07:56 PM
link   
PORTLAND, Ore. (Reuters) - An Oregon man ended a 1,243 mile swim on Tuesday after spending 13 months in the icy waters of the Columbia River, braving toxins and bacteria, to raise awareness about its pollution.

Christopher Swain, 35, a lifelong lover of water sports, began the journey in Canada more than a year ago. Putting aside family life and plans for a career in acupuncture, Swain lived on donations and revenue from T-shirt sales during his effort to clean up the river.

The Columbia is plagued by toxic wastes, rising temperatures, rampant bacteria, and the dwindling survival rate of its salmon.

LINK

posted on Jul, 2 2003 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Terribly nobel. I hope that his efforts have a long term effect.

posted on Jul, 2 2003 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Considering that he must have had to get out VERY often in the low temperatures to warm up and ward off hypothermia...this had to have been one torturous undertaking!

posted on Jul, 3 2003 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Damn. Now thats what I call dedication and fighting for what you believe in. I wish more of us had that. Good link Illmatic

posted on Jul, 3 2003 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Hmm.... This could be posted under the "Dumbest Thing I Ever Heard" thread. Sure, I am in favor of a cleaner environment. Who isn't? I am not about to dedicate my life to being an eco-nut and endangering my health by swimming in a cess-pool, though.

posted on Jul, 4 2003 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Okay, I see drunk is around. Drunk, next time I am in Hong Kong, I challenge you to a race across Victoria Harbour from Central to Tsim Shau? Tsui. Sound reasonable? We can advertise it as a protest against pollution.

posted on Jul, 4 2003 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freddie
Hmm.... This could be posted under the "Dumbest Thing I Ever Heard" thread. Sure, I am in favor of a cleaner environment. Who isn't? I am not about to dedicate my life to being an eco-nut and endangering my health by swimming in a cess-pool, though.

But it makes a news story where otherwise there isn't one.

It's all about raising public awareness.

posted on Jul, 4 2003 @ 05:52 PM
link   
man that is very interesting. i didn't know that

top topics

join