It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Kind of System is This?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2018 @ 08:42 PM
link   
so... i got a speeding ticket. officer friendly told me that my court date would be in two months, and i could expect a notice in the mail letting me know how much the fine would be, and i could then pay it by mail or online.

seven weeks go by, my court date is in two weeks, no notice in the mail. no record of the citation in the online system either.

i call the courthouse. i call right when they start taking calls and sit on hold for half an hour. when i get a person on the line, they tell me that the police department is slow putting things in the system, and that the officer actually has up to a year to put it in the system. they say i should ignore the court date because that doesn't actually go into effect until the citation hits the system, and then i have 60 days after that date, so i should just keep checking the online system every few weeks for a year.

this sounds weird, so i call the police department. THEY say they put their citations in the system immediately, but the court system loses a lot of records, and if it hasn't gone up by now it probably won't, but to be on the safe side i should call the courthouse back every week for a month. they also say i can ignore the court date on my original citation.

so i'm hearing two completely different things, and it's my responsibility to keep checking and checking for a month (or a year) because if i miss the citation going in the system and a court date comes and goes for me, i'm the one who can end up arrested.

so i ask, what kind of dumbassed dumbassery of a system is this?

ETA: just got an email back from the court systems' website, through which i submitted an inquiry a week ago:

Your citation has not been processed. It can take 6 weeks to 12 months before it is entered into our system. Please visit our website weekly at. Once your citation is entered a courtesy notice will generate with options to handle your traffic citation and the Court will provide you 60 days to take some action.

why on earth is there a court date on my citation if this is how it works?
edit on 13-6-2018 by fiverx313 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2018 @ 08:47 PM
link   
a reply to: fiverx313

so i ask, what kind of dumbassed dumbassery of system is this?

I gave up asking. None of it makes sense except to the greedy, incompetent idiots who run the asylum.

posted on Jun, 13 2018 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Don't be a dumb ass and just go to court.

Most likely the officer won't show up and the speeding ticket dropped.

So, you lost a day of work or whatever and won't have to pay the fine.

Been there, done that.

posted on Jun, 13 2018 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Overly bloated systems with a high incompetency rate.

It's one of the many reasons we typically bicker on the other side of the site.

Hope you get it resolved, maybe you'll get an error in your favor.

posted on Jun, 13 2018 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I agree, show up to court for the date posted on your ticket.
He won't show up if it's not in the court system, and your ticket dropped.

HOWEVER!!!
If you do have to pay the ticket, and are worried about your insurance rates going up, here's a little trick that will make sure that ticket never shows up in your insurance renewal.
Pay the ticket in full plus 1 dollar.
You will get a cheque in the mail for that $1 back. However, never cash it.
Throw the stupid thing away.
Tickets only show up once they are paid in full or closed. Closed meaning, they were paid after court, what ever.
But if you don't cash that $1 the ticket case will never be closed, and will not show up when it's time to renew your insurance

posted on Jun, 13 2018 @ 09:14 PM
link   

so i'm hearing two completely different things, and it's my responsibility to keep checking and checking for a month (or a year) because if i miss the citation going in the system and a court date comes and goes for me, i'm the one who can end up arrested.

Yes.

posted on Jun, 13 2018 @ 09:23 PM
link   

You want big government you got it.

You want big government and educated people running it you got it.

They have finally come for you.

🎃🤷

posted on Jun, 13 2018 @ 09:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Groot

Been there, done that.

I hate chiming in on this, but I got a ticket about 4 years back, and I was told otherwise (If the cop doesn't show up, then they usually have someone there to represent the cop; at least here in MI).

OP - as much as you're going to hate it, you'll just have to play by the rules and keep calling till you get confirmation.

posted on Jun, 13 2018 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Isn't big government great?

No matter how incompetent they are, it's always your fault.

Now you know why so many of us hate it and want less of it in our lives.

posted on Jun, 13 2018 @ 10:31 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

a reply to: ketsuko

thanks for bringing your own soapbox guys, SO illuminating

posted on Jun, 13 2018 @ 10:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: fiverx313
a reply to: xuenchen

a reply to: ketsuko

thanks for bringing your own soapbox guys, SO illuminating

Don't be in such a hurry next time !!

🤧

posted on Jun, 13 2018 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Don't get caught speeding next time??? If the best thing happens and it just gets lost forever, than think all you did to pay was a few minutes a week instead of a fine. At least you got a free lesson in being vigilant while speeding???

What jurisdiction/state was this, if I may ask??

posted on Jun, 13 2018 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Go to court and plead guilty when asked. But before you have to give your plead you are always allowed to present a case. Tell the judge about the whole issue and about the incompetence of said officer but do not shame the officer, rather say I am sure he has much bigger things to deal with. Then ask the judge if you could just donate that money to the police force instead of receiving this ticket.
Wait for a response....... and bam you will not have a hit on your driving record. The judge gain some pints as will the officer and the department. Your name will be remembered and everyone wins. Except your wallet...

posted on Jun, 13 2018 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I agree, this is rant worthy.

If you can somehow transform the amount of the fine (written on the check) into a crude sketch of e.g., genitals, it might make you feel better.

Zeros (as in 75.00) can be fashioned into testicles.

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 12:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: fiverx313
so i ask, what kind of dumbassed dumbassery of a system is this?

T hat, my friend, is your tax dollars at work!

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 08:25 AM
link   
a reply to: DictionaryOfExcuses

finally, a helpful response!

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Or don't get a speeding ticket then you don't have to deal with this stupidity.

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 10:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Groot

Been there, done that.

The OP isn't saying they're not going to court, they're saying it's ridiculous that they have to contact the courts repeatedly throughout the 1-12 months because if the court date is missed (whether the court sent a notice or not) the repercussions are severe.

That the onus is on the OP to repeatedly contact the courts or face severe consequences is stressful and can cause a lot more damage than a day in court and one day's lost wages. On top of that, there are no apparent repercussions to the courts not ensuring that all parties have been notified of the impending court date let alone losing case files.

Is the OP wrong to question the validity of a system's ability to oversee the administration of consequences while at the same time being apparently free from consequences?

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

I never go more than 4 miles over the speed limit. Never.

Almost 58 years old, and have never had a speeding ticket in my over 40 years of driving. Never had any kind of traffic ticket, now that I think about it.

I think the system works pretty well, if you follow the rules. Otherwise, you can get screwed pretty badly, and there’s not much you can do about it.

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 10:19 AM
link   

The officer tore up the ticket...not filling it.They do that freq. to teach offenders a lesson...and they don't have appear in court (the officer).

If just speeding..Id guess that's what's goin on. Happens all the time.
edit on 14-6-2018 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

<<   2 >>

join