It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

War! Trump has Declared War!

page: 11
<< 8  9  10   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 07:11 PM
link   
a reply to: AScrubWhoDied

It does, until you remember that propaganda and disinformation was legalized again in 2013.

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 07:28 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

Not when they have to pay airports to air them and ratings are still falling.

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 07:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Wardaddy454

Mark my words

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 08:44 PM
link   
When are we (the DOJ) going to get the SOB's in Hollywood who threaten our President?

WTF is wrong with Trump's DOJ/FBI?????

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 08:48 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

How about..never
Unless it's a serious threat.

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 09:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove
a reply to: intrepid

The problem with the 1st in regards to the press is that it's supposed to protect the press in it's ability to report in an honest fair and balanced fashion, not to make up #, twist things however they wish, lie, and mislead the public with some bizarre harmful agenda.

The public is supposed to be able to rely on the news to be news so we know what's going on in the world in such a way they can interpret the data themselves and make their own informed decisions. The freedom of the press is supposed to protect the press from anyone in government trying to prevent them from doing that, not allow them to be a mouth piece for some kind of agenda.

Blah, the whole mess is so convoluted I'm not sure how to handle it. The press has been sold to the highest bidder and unless it starts working for the people again it's simply not the press.

That is an interesting take. How would we legislate the change?

I'm all for treating press like any other product that is bought and sold. There need to be quality standards, and failing to meet those standards should make it illegal to represent your product as being one of its type.

Ie. it should be illegal to call it "news". You could call it something else, like "gossip". But the title "News" should be illegal to apply to anything that doesn't meet rigorous standards.

Just like how it is illegal to sell a new car that isn't safe to drive.

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 08:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj

If one can't see the path to fascism you're blind.

If you can't see that the USA is possibly the farthest country away from fascism I am embarrassed for you.

I'm sure it's a state that you are accustomed to. It's just a small skip from this to state approved news. And some here are going "YEHAW!"

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 11:56 AM
link   

The problem with the 1st in regards to the press is that it's supposed to protect the press in it's ability to report in an honest fair and balanced fashion, not to make up #, twist things however they wish, lie, and mislead the public with some bizarre harmful agenda.

Where in the 1st does it say that it has to be in a fair and balanced fashion? I totally missed that reading the 1st Amendment.

SHOULD it be fair and balanced? Sure. Does it have to be? Nope. In fact, you have freedom to say whatever you want. You just may have to pay the consequences for doing so (such as yelling FIRE! in a theater when there isn't one). If Trump wants to sue for libel or defamation of character.. he can knock himself out.

To be honest, most "fake" news stories are usually not fake at all (and this has been proven repeatedly, when he claims something he doesn't like is "fake"), or sometimes when they are, it's just an error in reporting. It does happen. And it's also ironic that it's apparently OK for Trump to lie.. repeatedly.. daily even.. but it's NOT ok for only SOME news sources who are critical of Trump to be called out by him. MOST of the comments by Trump are solely at stories and networks that are critical of him.

The guy just can't handle negative press.. he has a super thin skin, and a huge ego, not a great combo.

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Obama setup and weaponized the government machine covertly. IRS targetting political enemies. NSA targetting media enemies. DoJ targetting candidate enemies.

Donald Trump is simply becoming the face of that weaponized machine.

I see more cahoots between the two than I do differences.

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

originally posted by: Jonjonj

If one can't see the path to fascism you're blind.

If you can't see that the USA is possibly the farthest country away from fascism I am embarrassed for you.

I'm sure it's a state that you are accustomed to. It's just a small skip from this to state approved news. And some here are going "YEHAW!"
I agree, so what now? Maybe less police? Maybe less politics...

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 09:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove
a reply to: Jonjonj

I'm not defending your target, just lambasting your statement. The US has for a long time demonstrated some of the most fascist and amoral behaviors.

If "fascist" is just another word for "bad" in your mind, then yes. Any nation that still does things that are "bad" could be considered "fascist".

But that is a very ignorant perspective. Fascism is a very particular kind of badness. There are many kinds of badness other than fascism.

It's like thinking that blue is a color, so therefore anything that has a color must be blue. If I show you something that is pink, you would insist that it has a color and is therefore blue.

For example our sneaky decision to start the drug war, create for profit prisons, and reinstate the new form of legal slavery under a different guise that hides under the umbrella of "protecting us" from those dangerous pot heads.

Do you mean prison labor? I can see the rest of your point , but I don't see where the slavery part is in all of this.

originally posted by: madenusa
such terms —"Fake News" which, by design, mean whatever the powerful groups wielding them want them to mean — so often produce censorship in the name of combatting them.

Whether there will be any censorship remains to be seen. Right now Trump is not using any of his official powers against them, and therefore doing nothing that could reasonably be considered a constitutional infringement.

He's using his unofficial power to tweet. A power everyone has, even me and you. More people listen to his tweets now that he's a president, but that in no way affects the constitutionality of his actions so far. Any famous person with a big enough following could do that same thing with the same effect.

If the public begins to agree with him, then probably Congress will start looking into making some laws to curtail flagrant misreporting in the press. Hopefully they will have limited scope, and only deal with misrepresentation of matters of fact. But it's also possible the press will simply get its act together, and there will never need to be any laws.
edit on 15-6-2018 by bloodymarvelous because: quotes

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Probably work out better than war on drugs. Rare u get honest journalism as most are embedded. Would help as a deterrent for more honest journalism

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 03:29 AM
link   

You don't live here. You don't watch our tv. You are not experiencing the insanity that is going on here. You think it's A-OK, that the media is attacking Trumps peace efforts and actively wishing the economy will fail? Just because "it's not covered in the constitution...". Yeah a lot of things are not in the constitution.

It doesnt matter, the people have had enough, and they only have so much money to prop up a failing business, they will run out of advertisers. This is how we will deal with them. No need to trample the Constitution.

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: AScrubWhoDied

originally posted by: carewemust
I have been saying for over a year that the liberal fake news media is a danger to America. They are domestic terrorists masquerading as media people.

When are you going to do something to stop or punish them president Trump? You have the entire power of the government available to put the screws to them in ways they cannot even imagine.

This sounds awfully authoritarian.

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Official authority isn't the only kind of power to be worried about.

When the press is organized into one, single, big machine that speaks with a unified voice, it's just as dangerous as any government. It's supposed to be un-unified, with each outlet fact checking the others, and taking the opportunity to call them out when they screw up.

If you don't see that happening, then odds are someone is having secret meetings and practicing the capitalist sin of "collusion".

It is no different than if the trucking companies, or airlines, or energy producers of the nation were to collude. collusion is simply something that we can't allow if we want to live in a free society. (Yes, curtailing the "freedom to collude" is necessary in order to preserve all your other freedoms.)

top topics

<< 8  9  10   >>

join