It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive Dust Storm on Mars may have Killed Opportunity rover

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2018 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes
What are we looking at in your gif?

It's a close-up of a rock from two slightly different angles. I believe the circular feature is a "blueberry" knob that has broken off in an odd way. I don't know. It was pretty tiny, but I didn't do a lot to the image(s) other than boost the contrast a little. It's a good example of something that looks like it might have the structure of something that was once alive, but probably never was.

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Opportunity has lived for 14 years in an unbelievably harsh environment, powered only by solar cells.

I've seen brand new automobiles go from factory fresh to scrap metal in a shorter life span.

I bet she survives this and keeps on going. Just like the Energizer Bunny!

-dex

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 01:52 PM
link   

The Martian dust storm has grown in size and is now officially a "planet-encircling" (or "global") dust event.

Though Curiosity is on the other side of Mars from Opportunity, dust has steadily increased over it, more than doubling over the weekend. The atmospheric haze blocking sunlight, called "tau," is now above 8.0 at Gale Crater -- the highest tau the mission has ever recorded. Tau was last measured near 11 over Opportunity, thick enough that accurate measurements are no longer possible for Mars' oldest active rover.

sciencedaily.com, June 20, 2018 - Martian dust storm grows global: Curiosity captures photos of thickening haze. (pic of haze)

Heck of a haboob if there ever was one!

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

I can't help think of this whenever I hear that word.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac

originally posted by: gortex

originally posted by: slatesteam
a reply to: gortex

So another one bites the dust?

I think it all depends on how long the storm lasts , the estimate is a month but it could be longer which could be the end for Opportunity , if the internal clock loses power she won't wake up.

Really? I would think that if the storm cleared and the panels were clear enough to generate power, the system would be configured to power up by default- even if at factory settings, it could still call home...

After a month-long dust storm, it's likely the rover will be totally buried.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: wildespace

Who's a good boy?

You, you're a good boy! But Mars is your forever home. Someday, we'll come visit, and maybe, just maybe, the good boy will come home then.

edit on 6/21/2018 by seagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

That's bad. I was hoping it would survive.

Is it insured?

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Kind of why I used it!

Trying to read a story on English garden birds and get blocked by the content filter because of the over use of "tit" in the article! That makes me chuckle to no end!!

Hope the rover survives. Might get some sat images showing, once and for all, surface water, after the dust storm subsides.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join