It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antarctica loses three trillion tonnes of ice in 25 years

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2018 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: nOraKat
a reply to: network dude

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: lostbook
Mankind needs to stop this snowball before it's too big to stop. That's what I think. What says ATS?

www.bbc.com...

ok, how?

Well the obvious - get off coal and gasoline.

Don't be silly.

posted on Jun, 13 2018 @ 05:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: jtrenthacker

Mankind needs to stop this snowball before it's too big to stop. That's what I think. What says ATS?

www.bbc.com...

ok, how?

Kill all of mankind. Duh....

It's not our fault.

posted on Jun, 13 2018 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1
a reply to: LogicalGraphitti

That's a lot of melting but what you never hear about in these studies is how much new ice is forming. Granted, the melting may be getting ahead of the freezing but I don't think you can determine sea level rise without factoring that in.
I wonder how much of a impact all that water vapor around Hawaii will contribute to new snow and ice ? Speaking of CO2 and where its measured ,wouldn't whats happening there kind of put a spike in the CO2 monitoring . Gee so much to think about and so little knowledge of how to put it into a un-biased graph .

I think you hit the nail on the head and partially explains why there is scepticism. With so many variables how can any scientist(s) draw a conclusion and say what's really going on as an absolute? Yes, the planet is warming, no doubt. What I oppose is people making a religion out of it and turning it into a revenue opportunity.

posted on Jun, 13 2018 @ 06:37 PM
link   

“We’re essentially in agreement with other studies that show an increase in ice discharge in the Antarctic Peninsula and the Thwaites and Pine Island region of West Antarctica,” said Jay Zwally, a glaciologist with NASA Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland, and lead author of the study, which was published on Oct. 30 in the Journal of Glaciology. “Our main disagreement is for East Antarctica and the interior of West Antarctica – there, we see an ice gain that exceeds the losses in the other areas.” Zwally added that his team “measured small height changes over large areas, as well as the large changes observed over smaller areas.”

Scientists calculate how much the ice sheet is growing or shrinking from the changes in surface height that are measured by the satellite altimeters. In locations where the amount of new snowfall accumulating on an ice sheet is not equal to the ice flow downward and outward to the ocean, the surface height changes and the ice-sheet mass grows or shrinks.

emphasis mine

NASA Study: Mass Gains of Antarctic Ice Sheet Greater than Losses

posted on Jun, 13 2018 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

Hot Mud?
there I fixed it for you

posted on Jun, 13 2018 @ 06:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

Don't be silly.
Two months in the wilds of winter would convert them to burn baby burn .

posted on Jun, 13 2018 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

Exactly. Carbon-14 dating is flawed and wrong, except when it comes to proving that the Shroud of Turin is old enough to have been around in Jesus's time. Then it's right on.
But wouldn't it be better to be from Jerusalem ... What is so special about Turin ?

posted on Jun, 13 2018 @ 07:45 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

why are you concerned? What I've heard most of y'all are babbling about "sea level rise".

So, some islands get smaller or disappear and some overpopulated coastal cities have to commute in boats. Not my problem.

posted on Jun, 13 2018 @ 08:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: jadedANDcynical

“We’re essentially in agreement with other studies that show an increase in ice discharge in the Antarctic Peninsula and the Thwaites and Pine Island region of West Antarctica,” said Jay Zwally, a glaciologist with NASA Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland, and lead author of the study, which was published on Oct. 30 in the Journal of Glaciology. “Our main disagreement is for East Antarctica and the interior of West Antarctica – there, we see an ice gain that exceeds the losses in the other areas.” Zwally added that his team “measured small height changes over large areas, as well as the large changes observed over smaller areas.”

Scientists calculate how much the ice sheet is growing or shrinking from the changes in surface height that are measured by the satellite altimeters. In locations where the amount of new snowfall accumulating on an ice sheet is not equal to the ice flow downward and outward to the ocean, the surface height changes and the ice-sheet mass grows or shrinks.

emphasis mine

NASA Study: Mass Gains of Antarctic Ice Sheet Greater than Losses

Well that throws a spanner in the works then.

posted on Jun, 13 2018 @ 08:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift

originally posted by: jtrenthacker
Kill all of mankind. Duh....

That's the answer our artificial superintelligent descendants might choose, once they figure out how to fix and improve themselves.

Bingo!

posted on Jun, 13 2018 @ 11:13 PM
link   
a reply to: jadedANDcynical

The study you have linked to uses data collected from 2001 and 2008. More than a decade ago.

The data in the OP states "This is pushing up global sea levels by 0.6mm annually - a three-fold increase since 2012 when the last such assessment was undertaken." I would assume, then, that this data would have been collected much more recently than 2012.

Is it your contention that nothing could have changed since 2008 (and 2001)?

And while you didn't come right out and say so, your post certainly implies that it refutes the one in the OP. How is that when it was done more than a decade earlier?

edit on 6/13/2018 by Montana because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 03:45 AM
link   

So ........ what is the source of the 25 trillion tonnes, or thereabouts, of freshwater come from; to make the 25 trillions tonnes of ice.

If it came from seawater which contains salt then are the waters around Antarctica much more salty than the waters in the tropical areas?

If the ice came from salty seawater then why is the ocean itself not frozen?

If the glaciers 'flow' down hill then where is the source of the glaciers, and how did it reach such a high elevation before it started to flow downhill towards the oceans? If the glaciers originated from the tops of mountains, then how could that be given there is also ice at the bottom of the mountains?

Why do so few, if any, glaciers flow inland?

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 04:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Azureblue

Glacier is created by snow fall. I think your a little confused sea water never freezes in to glaciers. As for ice even frozen gravity effects it causing it to makebits way to the ocean. So in the case of antartica less snow fall means thinner ice which means in fall it melts quicker.

Do to earths tilt right now the sun is further away and the ice sheets are curently growing.

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Has ice always been there? What makes you think it always will be?

We are still in an ice age. The only constant is that temperatures constantly change on Earth.

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 09:19 AM
link   

So with all this ice melt,why aren't the city's all under water like they said what happened,chalk this up to Al Gore and his cronies full of BS,ice melts,it's the law of physics

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 09:22 AM
link   
It's Obama/Trump's fault.

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 10:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: nOraKat
a reply to: network dude

www.bbc.com...

ok, how?

Well the obvious - get off coal and gasoline.

Sweet, I'm ready. What do I put in my car to make it go?
edit on 14-6-2018 by network dude because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1
But wouldn't it be better to be from Jerusalem ... What is so special about Turin ?

How does anything end up anywhere? Theft. The guy who originally stole it was probably from there, or at least passing through coming back from the Crusades.

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bramble Iceshimmer

why are you concerned? What I've heard most of y'all are babbling about "sea level rise".

So, some islands get smaller or disappear and some overpopulated coastal cities have to commute in boats. Not my problem.

But it is your problem. It's everyone's problem. We don't live in a closed system. Everyone will be affected.

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Maybe those god darn pesky Reptilians are after our ice?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join