It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Russia 2018 World Cup Thread

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Saturday June 16th Results

Group C : France 2-1 Australia

The French sneaked past Australia thanks to the first penalty ever awarded in a World Cup with VAR assistance (I'll come to that later). Our Aussie cousins probably deserved more against our Gallic neighbours with a very determined performance. Maybe they will have better luck against Denmark and Peru?

Group C : Peru 0-1 Denmark

The energetic Peruvians had plethora of chances without hitting the net. They missed a penalty and lost the game to a Danish counter-attack.

Group D : Argentina 1-1 Iceland

Iceland came and parked the Airbus. Argentina had problems breaking them down. Sergio Aguero showed his class and Argentina took the lead. Despite their defensive solidity this Iceland side have an uncanny knack of being able to create chances too when they are chasing the game. So it came to pass that Alfred Finnbogason then netted the equalizer. Lionel Messi missed a penalty. Argentina had more problems breaking the Icelandic team down.

The land of the rising 'sons' got a very valuable and well earned point.

Group D : Croatia 2-0 Nigeria

Nigeria sleepwalked to defeat in this match and gifted Croatia victory. A disappointing game. Especially for Nigerian fans.

Tomorrow we have 3 more games...(as ever check your local listings for times)

Group E

Costa Rica v Serbia
Brazil v Switzerland

Group F

Germany v Mexico

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: UKTruth

Not a fan of VAR it's just not football , I don't think it was a penalty , it's one of those contentious issues that will be discussed at length in the pub tonight.

I do like goal line technology though , that is useful.

Having seen VAR used in Serie A and the FA Cup I am still wondering if it can be used in what seem subjective decisions. I remain unconvinced that the penalty awarded to France was definitely a penalty. The TV pundits all seemed to be of the opinion that it was the correct decision. To me I thought there was still a fairly large element of doubt and means the system still relies on a human interpretation for a decision.

But I don't trust ex-footballers ability more than my own. These are the people who introduced the phrase "Stonewall penalty". What is that supposed to mean?

They also introduced the concept that 'if there is contact in the box then the player has the right to go down'. No he doesn't that's your imaginations once again making things up. Don't forget as well that many of them argue that referees don't understand the game because they've never played it. Well how many professional footballers have ever refereed a game and understand how to do it?

That's my little rant over.

So far its been an interesting World Cup with the Spain v Portugal game being a standout. But it would be foolish to judge anything based on the matches played so far. Things often turnaround as the tournament progresses.

edit on 16/6/2018 by mirageman because: .

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Wow !
Germany 0 Mexico 1

The team that wanted the most won it , Germany didn't switch on until the end and paid the price.

Great result for Mexico mere hiccup for Germany on their way to the final .... if the real Germany turn up in their next game.

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 01:55 PM
link   
ha ha ha ha ha!!!

Vive El Tri!!!!

well-earned win.
next; South Korea

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 02:58 PM
link   
This is turning into the tournament of the underdogs , Brazil 1 Switzerland 1.

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Brasil and Germany fake news so far.

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Sunday June 17th Results

Group E : Costa Rica 0-1 Serbia

A fantastic strike from Aleksandar Kolarov's free-kick gave Serbia a narrow victory. Although they were deserved winners in the end. Costa Rica were not the team of 4 years ago and appeared to be lacking the motivation to really test the Serbians. The win was important for Serbia as it puts them in a good position to go further in the competition.

Group F : Germany 0-1 Mexico

Who would have thought it? A pacey, enthusiastic Mexican side could have won this by more but for some sloppy play on the counter against the World Champions. In the end the Mexicans tired defence saw the game through. Germany looked complacent and perhaps over confident even after going a goal down. Their history in Russia is not good.

Is this the start of the end for this team or merely a blip before they get back to their old selves again?

Group E : Brazil 1-1 Switzerland

Despite a great opening goal from Barcelona midfielder Philipe Coutinho, Brazil were unable to finish the game triumphant. The Swiss grabbed an equalizer from a Steven Zuber header and then seemed intent on doing anything and everything they could to frustrate and disrupt the Brazilians rhythm. They succeeded and won a valuable point.

---------------

Who would have thought Germany would be the first European team to lose a game and Uruguay the only Latin American side to have 3 points at this stage?

Of course things can change rapidly in these tournaments. So I am not counting any chickens just yet. Especially live ones in team colours!

Tomorrow there are three more fixtures to enjoy.

Group F

Sweden v South Korea

Group G

Belgium v Panama
Tunisia v England

I've washed my England home, away and goalie shirts and they are drying in the backyard.

Three shirts on my line now all three a gleaming.....
Thirty years of dirt.......never stopped my dreaming

edit on 17/6/2018 by mirageman because: R.I.P Frank Sidebottom

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: mirageman

I can see us getting beat. We and other big footballing nations just do not appear to have the hunger for their nation anymore.
I do hope we pants them all though.

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 05:28 PM
link   
a reply to: testingtesting

I grew up in the 1970s so international football tournaments without England were something of a regular experience.
My first memory of England competing for a World Cup was in 1982 when we started brightly against the French and faded slowly away. Finally bowing out, unbeaten but out of ideas, with Kevin Keegan's off target header bouncing out against Spain. Next came that hand of Maradona in 1986. Then heartbreaking penalties against the Germans in Turin on American Independence day in 1990. Chris Waddle launched a new satellite that day. By 1998 it was yet more heartbreaking penalties against the Argentinians after playing with ten men for much of the game.

In 2002 I have a vivid memory of a not quite fit Beckham bottling out of a tackle near the touchline and then Brazil scoring in the aftermath. Ronaldinho's lucky?, lofty free kick over a scrambling David Seaman was followed by a meek surrender to 10 men Brazil. Penalties saw us beaten again in 2006 by Portugal after (another not entirely fit) Wayne Rooney was sent off. And that really was the end of the 'golden quarter final generation'

We were poor in 2010, hammered by the Germans after scrambling out of the group. By 2014 with wumbling Roy Hodgson at the helm we had reached a low England hadn't seen since 1950.

I am ever the optimist and hope England do well. But the fact is in my lifetime that whenever England come up against a big nation in the knockout games of a World Cup we have never been able to get past them.

But I also enjoy these tournaments as a football fan rather than just an England fan. That Brazilian team in 1982 were fantastic. As were the French until Harold Scumacher knocked the stuffing out them! I can't forget Toto Schillachi and Italy in 1990. How good was the Brazilian Ronaldo in his prime in 1998 and 2002? What was Zidane doing headbutting Materazzi in the 2006 final and was it the first unofficial use of VAR?

Germany 7-1 Brazil in the last World Cup.....I could go on forever. But this thread is all about the current World Cup not about its' past. So I'll shut up now.....

edit on 17/6/2018 by mirageman because: ..

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Just getting organized for later

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Being older than you and a fan of English football (although not an Englishman), I have had a much harder time enduring the failures and misfortunes of the English team at major tournaments.

Partly from weariness, but more from a lack of confidence, now I am growing into a fan of whatever team is performing well (but I'll definitely remain enthusiastic about my club, which is Liverpool).
edit on 18 6 2018 by surnamename57 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 05:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: testingtesting

I can see us getting beat. We and other big footballing nations just do not appear to have the hunger for their nation anymore.
I do hope we pants them all though.

I rather think we'll do better than expected. Semi-finals perhaps. I was very pleased to see a young team being selected.
We've got rid of our 'golden' (translated as overrated and overpaid rubbish) generation.
Let's see what happens. I am actually optimistic.

Kane is a world class player - just needs to be a bit less greedy (saying that as a Arsenal fan).
Rashford could be the breakthrough player - massive talent - if he can overcome his slight knock.

There are many players like Neymar that are completely over rated in other teams - watched him last night ...awful.
Our players just need to believe in themselves and most of all work as a team - something we've been lacking for 2 decades with selfish ego maniacs in our team.

edit on 18/6/2018 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 05:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: mirageman
a reply to: testingtesting

That Brazilian team in 1982 were fantastic.

The best I ever saw. Zico, Eder, Falcao, Socrates, Junior ..

edit on 18/6/2018 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 05:45 AM
link   

That Brazil team was by far the best team to have never won a World Cup in my opinion. Somehow Italy were awful in the group matches scrambling through with no wins, 3 draws and 2 goals and then they unleashed Paolo Rossi.

And that is why we should never judge what goes on in the early games as a guideline to what will happen later on!

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Ok, so I just saw the Swedish PK goal resulting from a VAR ‘assist’....what’s your take on penalties/PKs in football? Are the rules congruent (e.g. do you believe that the punishment fits the crime?)? Being an American and knowing it as soccer, the penalty kick seems extremely punitive and I’d like to think VAR somewhat mitigates that punitive nature...just curious (plus, I’m not asking about Bigelow/UFOs/Rendelsham :up

Cheers.

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: BeefNoMeat

I was just thinking about how would work out in football if they would have flags for challenges like in American football. But instead of time outs or a lose of a time out if the challenge was bad, maybe raise the subs from 3 to 4 and lose a sub opportunity at a bad challenge, but also keep the official review if needed. I like the idea of VAR in football especially in games of huge importance...

In the other hand, my Bolivian buddy hates VAR, he says it kills the passion of football, the ref mistakes that come with the games since football exists. He has a point as well...
edit on 18-6-2018 by szino9 because: spelling

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: szino9

There are ‘purist’ in all sports, the worst being “baseball purists” in America, so I always enjoy the type of convo you and your Bolivian buddy had.

Quick question on subs: if you had a player get injured via foul and/or yellow card committed by the other team after you subbed 3 in, can you sub in a player for the injured one (after your allotted subs)? Or are you playing 10 against 11??

ETA: I noticed it but forget to mention it, I really like your Avatar.
edit on 18-6-2018 by BeefNoMeat because: ETA

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 11:37 AM
link   

No, you only have 3 subs no matter what. Exception on friendly games where I believe you sub as many as you want.

Thanks for the avatar complement

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 11:50 AM
link   

That team was good but it was no 1970 Brazil. Tostao, Jairzinho, a nobody called Pele......i could go on!

Was it not Socrates that had a spell at Garforth Town as manager?

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: szino9

No, you only have 3 subs no matter what. Exception on friendly games where I believe you sub as many as you want.:

A 4th sub is permitted in extra time in this World Cup. Friendlies are limited to 6 subs.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join