It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Russia 2018 World Cup Thread

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 09:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn
The French have looked the best team through out this World Cup....but the best team doesn't always win.

I agree.

I haven't been watching too many matches in this tournament, i am not that much of a football enthusiast. But i always watch the world cup final. I can't define why, but i like to feel when i am watching it, that a couple of billion other people around this planet are watching it too

My prediction: France wins. My hope: Croatia wins.

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: mirageman

Sterling was superb throughout the tournament. He thoroughly terrorised defenders and created panicky moments throughout. His final ball and finishing can be much better but he occupies at least a couple of defenders and creates huge amounts of space.

I have been far more disappointed with Alli this tournament - he just hasnt really clicked. Almost like he isnt really fit at the moment.

My biggest bug bear is when we retreat. We dont have the players for that, we need to keep on the front foot - which is far easier said than done.

All round very positive though. Lallana and the Ox to come back into it, plus the likes of Sessegnon, Foden and Lewis Cook waiting to break through......things are finally starting to look up!

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I noticed that the Finnish betting company gives a 5.00 odd for Croatia win.

I was thinking about putting five euros in. Then if they somehow manage to win, i would have 25 euros. Odds for France win is 1.78. When you multiply that with five it makes 8.90. And deducting the 5 euro bet, the winning is 3.90 euros. What is that? A frozen pizza? I rather keep the fiver than risk it for such a small possible gain.

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 04:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Finspiracy

Try the Oddschecker website, it gives prices for all the major UK online bookmakers.
I got my £30 on France to win and both teams to score at 5/1.

If you fancy Croatia to win you can get 12/1 for them to win and both teams to score.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 09:45 AM
link   
So the 3rd place playoffs and Belgium spanking England again
Lol

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Well, I won't be watching the final - to busy watching paint dry - but I hope Croatia win. Underdogs and the French. No choice really.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Strangers things have happened

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Well, Belgium is up 2 - nil against England in the consolation match thanks to Hazard’s counter goal.

In it to the bitter end!

Belgium should have played this good in the last game!!

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Thanks for the update.

Not watching this game as it's pointless , who cares about third and fourth place.

Looking forward to the final tomorrow , hopefully it will be a fitting end for what was a great World Cup.

Only two years till the Euro's.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF
Well, Belgium is up 2 - nil against England in the consolation match thanks to Hazard’s counter goal.

In it to the bitter end!

They were playing France in the last game - very different to playing England. We were awful again.
England has been going downhill fast for many years, but this has to be the worst squad of players we've ever had.
edit on 14/7/2018 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 06:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

In it to the bitter end!

They were playing France in the last game - very different to playing England. We were awful again.
England has been going downhill fast for many years, but this has to be the worst squad of players we've ever had.

I gave you a star!

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Saturday July 14th Results

3rd Place Match : Belgium 2-0 England

An almost meaningless match for third place saw Belgium overpower England. Thomas Meunier slipped past Danny Rose after just 4 minutes to give Belgium an early lead. England had plenty of possession but were rather ponderous for the rest of the first half. Harry Kane looked tired and off the pace throughout the whole game. Once again Raheem Sterling looked good when he didn't have to run with a football and was replace by Marcus Rashford in the second half.

England perked up a little in the second half and almost scored when Eric Dier dinked a ball over the Belgian goalkeeper only to see it cleared off the line. A glorious end to end move at pace from Belgium was magnificently saved by Jordan Pickford. But as England huffed and puffed for an equalizer Eden Hazard glided past a rather lost looking Phil Jones to slot home with 8 minutes to go.

Belgium deservedly finish third in what has been a memorable World Cup so far. There's just the big one to play for now.

WORLD CUP FINAL

Sunday 15th July
-----------------------
Croatia v France

edit on 15/7/2018 by mirageman because: ...

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Overall very good World Cup, VAR has been effective but on the basis of the final itself, still doesn't eliminate cheating and terrible referee decisions which totally ruined the final itself.

France certainly didn't deserve to win it, well done to Croatia though

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Great tournament! Great viewing. Croatia did all the first half scoring (lol)!

Then they actually played futbol and Mbappe and Pogba each got one. Shame, Croatia played well. Again. all WC long, unimaginative play comes back to haunt you. You could see it in last 20 minuets of play.

Good stuff! Hats off to both sides!

link   

Dang! Triple post!! I guess ATS really cares about my opinions!!
edit on 15-7-2018 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: Triple post

link   

Aw wad de power, de gif He gi’e us
To see ourselves as eithers see us.
edit on 15-7-2018 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: Triple post

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Sunday July 15th Result

World Cup Final : Croatia 2-4 France

France had reached every World Cup Final on European soil since 1990. Croatia made their first appearance in a final.

The first half was rather strange with Croatia seeing most of the ball and also applying most of the pressure. Despite this France were rewarded with a goal deflected into the net from Super Mario's head. Ivan Perisic equalized with a cool left footer. However just before half time the VAR was consulted and the referee awarded a rather debatable penalty to France. Tony Greasemonkey's penalty was France's only shot on target during the first half. But they went into the break leading 2-1.

The second half saw France take control with well finished goals from Pogba and Mbappe. It left Croatia a mountain to climb with less than 30 minutes left. However Hugo Lloris was determined to make it an interesting spectacle. His comical attempt to dribble past an advancing Mario 'Man Duke Itch' will be replayed for years. He knocked it to the left and Super Mario tapped it into the French net. So 4-2 and game on at that stage. But Croatia could not claw another goal back as they tired late into the game.

France rode their luck but ultimately were more clinical than Croatia. They achieve their second World Cup win in their history. Football did not come home, it landed next door!

Congratulations France!!

So now we wait for another 4 years for Qatar 2022. A World Cup set in the desert , in the depth of the Northern Hemisphere's winter. Oh joy.

But overall Russia 2018 was a great World Cup.

Before this thread disappears into the bowels of ATS I'll come back to add my overall impressions once I've collected my thoughts in a day or so.

Thanks everyone for participating in the thread. If you want to add anything else please do.

MM

edit on 15/7/2018 by mirageman because: ...

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Must agree, One of the most enjoyable World Cups for a long time, maybe since Germany.

Congrats to France, but I think the Gods of luck were on their side.

Two of their goal were flukes, an own goal mistake, and a weak penalty decision.

I'm no expert, but to my eyes, Croatia played a much better game, with a higher degree of skill.

I say a Big well done to Croatia...they are the Best team in second place, in the tournament.

Now, the controversy, the problem to me (and many others it seems), is very similar to a recent Italian soccer official's views, as per earlier in the year.

He complained about the number of "Non Italians" playing in the Italian league, and of course, throughout Europe.

Naturally, He was/is referring to all the Negroes in European "National" teams.

Sadly, the French native people didn't win the World Cup...the Africans did!!

Seemingly, more than half the French team and almost half the English team, were black fellas...Africans that is.

Yes, immigrants, immigrants, immigrants etc etc etc..., but they are neither French or English "PEOPLE", they are citizens of those respective country's, but they are Not its People.

I see the great skill of the real African teams in the competition, but Nowhere in the real African teams do I see a White European native playing for them......

Imagine the outcry if Any African team had white people in it.....in fact it has, all through the 20th century, South Africa was vilified for having mainly white European players in its Rugby teams, Cricket teams, Soccer teams....and everything else.

But Nooo With soccer, you can have your complete teams filled with non native immigrants from the dark continent.....but that is Ok, that is "Multi" Cultural, that is Civilised, that is what good little white people do.....but not what black people do it their own country.

If this continues, soon there will be no white Native European people playing in these "European" teams.....because they will be pushed out, not because they are not good enough, but because, you know, black people are so down trodden etc, and if anyone complains, they will be labelled childishly, as "Racist" or "Supremacist" or some other weak label.

Anyway, well done Mother Russia, it was a Great World Cup.

Boo to the European teams, without Europeans playing in them.....

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: gort51

Must agree, One of the most enjoyable World Cups for a long time, maybe since Germany.

Many highs & lows, controversies over VAR/Umpire interpretations. Still all round a good tournament.

the plane did not work...lol

posted on Jul, 16 2018 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Great World Cup, one of the most enjoyable one's I've watched.

Some fantastic games, a few crap one's.
Lacked quality but great excitement.

Great that Argentina and Germany went out early along with Spain, Brazil etc.

VAR should have been trialled and all its faults ironed out well before this tournament....but it did make for some excellent TV moments.

Far too many players diving, deliberately trying to get other players booked or sent off.
Hated watching the referees get surrounded by protesting players etc.....about time FIFA really clamped down on cheating and all the pressurising of match officials, it really detracts from the game.

England lacked quality and seemed very one dimensional. Southgate seemed incapable of changing tactics to counteract opponents during games.
His insistence on sticking with the same 11 players cost us.

However, England did exceed my own expectations and seemd to generate a much needed feel good factor in the country.
There is a sound basis for England to build on but they need more craft and creativity and need to be more adaptable etc.

Absolutely gutted France won.....but I did win some money in this World Cup so all things considered I've enjoyed this tournament far more than probably any other one I can remember.
edit on 16/7/18 by Freeborn because: typo's

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22 >>

join