It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Russia 2018 World Cup Thread

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 10:55 AM
link   
This England vs. Sweden was the first game i watched in this tournament. Solid play by the English team. Like some others have mentioned, i was really impressed by the performance of their goalkeeper.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Congrats England!

Two fine goals..

But let's be real here.. That entire organization owes this win to Pickford . Without him it very well could have been 3-2 Sweden. Quality Goalkeeping in the clutch!

Respectfully,
~meathead

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 10:58 AM
link   

The dream continues.

edit on 7-7-2018 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Buzzing. Amazing. Great performance.
Harry McGuire and Pickford both fantastic.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Russia v Croatia

First was boring until the 30 minute mark.

They sub out Russia’s goal scorer. What a goal!

Croatia answers before the half.

Looks like Croatia is turning up the pressure (one off the woodwork).

Another dramatic finish??

Good stuff!

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Another round of PKs!! With tired legs.

If Russia wins... I predict a riot!!

Where is my defibrillator??

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Nice send off from the homeside.

Great run. Great WC!! Nothing to be sad about.

Croatia is through! Good stuff!!

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Love this time of year!

Wimbledon is off and running. Le Tour had a hectic day one. Silverstone tomorrow. And congrats to the English side for making through!!

Throw in some NASCAR and an Indy race... just glad they all work out for my time zone!!

All Europe semis. All my teams out. Just like when I was growing up!!

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Message to Russian fans;

It is now your patriotic duty to support England in the next match. That's the only way to get your revenge.
Urge on the England team to defeat Croatia on your behalf.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Saturday July 7th Results

Quarter Final : England 2-0 Sweden

A nervy first twenty minutes from both sides made both teams look sluggish. But finally if one Harry doesn't do it then another comes along. Harry Maguire scored the opening goal from a corner with a precise header from 12 yards out. Raheem Sterling was put clean through by Jordan Henderson but messed it all up. Sweden however offered little threat in the first half.

Second half saw the Swedes launch a number of attacks. But Jordan Pickford, England's goalkeeper, made 2 , maybe 3 vital saves in the game that kept the Swedes at bay. Everyone's favourite meat counter assistant "Deli Ali" snuck in with a headed goal to double the lead. Once the scares were over England carefully managed to see out the game in a professional manner. England march on to the semi-finals.

Quarter Final : Russia 2-2 Belgium

Croatia win 4-3 on penalties

This was not so much an exciting game as an absorbing one. Russia started the game as if they were on steroids (hmmm! that make me think a bit now!). Anyway it was 1-1 afer 90 minutes and goals from Russia's Denis Cheryshev and some Croatian guy Andy Kramaric. The cameramen panned around the ground and it was obviously full of attractive women and not the usual bald, fat middle aged guys drinking beer. No, they were obvioulsy only the cameramen.

In extra time Croatia went 2-1 ahead from the head of Doming la Vida Loca but some Brazilian guy (not sure how that happened but it was probably Putin) scored the equalizer to level it all at 2-2.

Penalty kicks ensued and Croatia won 4-3 in the shootout. Their reward is to face England in the semi-final.

Games to come....

Semi-Finals

Tuesday 10th July
------------------
France v Belgium

Wednesday 11th July
-------------------
Croatia v England

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Scintillating England/France finals !

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 02:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Cassi3l

After watching Croatia last night I see no reason why we won't be in the Final so it's down to France to beat Belgium to make that dream a reality , what a Final that would be.

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 12:02 PM
link   
There is no reason whatsoever for England to not beat Croatia:
England has a team of players Croatia rely on a few (very good) indvivduals

In the other match, both teams have been tested (although Belgium more so) and have shown their mettle.
I still think that Belgium's last win will give them more of a 'bounce' and should shade it.

But with Kanté patrolling the mid-field, Pogaba tackling hard and passing well, M'Bappé on fire ...
^¨^

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

After watching Croatia last night I see no reason why we won't be in the Final so it's down to France to beat Belgium to make that dream a reality , what a Final that would be.

Hmm. Croatia is a step up for us. They are much better than Sweden. If England stick with a passing game against Croatia they will lose.
The way to beat them is to pack the midfield and wait for set pieces.

edit on 8/7/2018 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 07:53 AM
link   
No reason not to beat Croatia. They may be quality, but they are old....and have played 120 mins plus pens twice in 3/4 days. My plan would just be to run the legs off them....and then send on Rashford and Vardy for the last 20 mins......

Obviously, we will already be 4-0 at this point, those subs are just to make sure!

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 06:21 PM
link   

The belges are going bonkers about danger man M'Bappé
The french about de Bruyne, Hezard, Lukaku ...
::::
... Mathudi is coming back after his suspension
has he legs to supplicate Kanté in a...
classic 4-3-3,
can he slot in ?

How about a 4-2 (Kanté+Mathudi)-1 (pogba/kefir)-3

verrry nice
unplayable
As an aside
the worst ever, of all time
football final big cup finals winner
2004 is way up there...

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 01:01 PM
link   
And we're off !
I'd say 2-1 at half time

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Which way?

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI
France

Despite them seeming happy to sit back and waiting for the counter-attack

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Got a sneaky suspicion Belgium are going to come out on top, got all the makings of a good game. (Watch it be a bore draw now!)

Beginning to get nervy about tomorrow night now.....biggest game since '90, and oh how well do I remember that game.

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join