It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Russia 2018 World Cup Thread

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 11:21 AM
link   
France through to the semi finals , Uruguay 0 France 2.

England France Final ?

How cool would that be.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Very.
Loled at the French fans with the baguettes.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: testingtesting

I'm rooting for Belgium tonight , an England win over France would be cool but Belgium in the final would be cool and symbolic.

Rule Britannia !

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Brazil 0 Belgium 2 , 30 minutes in.
Another upset on the cards ?

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 01:44 PM
link   

They're incredibly composed for such a small team and underdogs to boot. Brazil have always believe in their own hype and make mistakes. Happens every World Cup.

Still didn't expect Belgium to dominate and be 2 up. I hope they keep the lead when Brazil settle down and start pressuring them. We love an underdog!!

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Stuck at work.... GAH!!!

It is OK. I will get to watch tomorrow's games.

Thanks for the update!

Brazil, upset? Nope. I think Kandinsky nailed it... they believe their own hype. Good players but not a great team.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

No side has ever won a World Cup game in which they’ve been trailing by two or more goals at half-time.
www.bbc.co.uk...

So says a BBC pundit. I can't see Belgium banking on the statistics.

Sometimes half time leads change the mentality of teams. Belgium better not get the jitters or too much confidence.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: BeefNoMeat
a reply to: mirageman

The referee awarded a penalty. 2 hours passed while the whining Colombians cried about it to the referee.

Ok. So I know you can draw a yellow card for arguing, but can you argue your way out of a yellow/penalty? Why the histrionics and what not? Is it just the culture of soccer?? Can arguing a call do anything but result in compounding the call(s)?! I don’t get it.

The basic rule as a player is to get away with whatever you can in an attempt to win at all costs. Some are worse than others. But the Colombians surrounded the referee to delay the penalty kick and scuff up the penalty spot (thus psyche out the opposition).

This is done because no referee will book 5 or 6 players all harassing him at once. He should. But would get criticised from lots of former professionals, who have never refereed games, will state on TV that he's never played the game and 'ruined it'.

Other examples that always go unpunished are:

* Contest every decision and swear at the referee no matter how obvious it is. Waving imaginary cards at the referee is optional as that could actually earn you a yellow card.

* On a throw-in, you can take it up to 10 yards further forward from where the ball left play before the referee will notice and move you back.

* One man must stand in front of the ball when the opposition has a free-kick to prevent it until the referee tells you to retreat the regulatory 10 yards.

* When taking a corner kick place the ball an inch outside the quarter circle. Despite being a professional footballer the fact that you cheat and get away with it is more important than learning to kick a ball just that slight bit further.

* Run into defenders in the penalty area and fall over to win penalty kicks.

* When an opposition player makes any bodily contact with you immediately act like you've been hit by a shot from sniper.

* Goalkeepers are specially protected and any contact with them in the area is deemed a foul. However they are also allowed to jump with knees and feet high in the air. Even when they make contact with an opposition player the high kick rule or a foul and penalty kick will never be awarded.

* Goalkeepers have to release the ball from their hands after 6 seconds. However this rule is almost never applied and they are often allowed at least twice as long. Throw-ins can be even worse.

* If your team score a goal in added on time at the end of the game, wildly celebrate in front of your fans and with the substitutes and your manager for at least a minute and a half. The referee will never add on this time.

Anyway 2-0 Belgium. The South American teams are slowly fading in this competition. I do wonder if Belgium can hold out against Brazil's attack this coming half. Although Belgium are just as likely to hit them on the counter-attack and it could well be goodnight Brazil if they go 3-0 up.

edit on 6/7/2018 by mirageman because: ...

edit on 6/7/2018 by mirageman because: ...

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Brazil 1 Belgium 2
The best team won , Brazil were disappointing and not very Brazilian.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Neymar is a joke so much talent but what a cheat.
Belgium look very good.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: testingtesting

Not just Neymar , if there had been a strong breeze the Brazilian team would have fallen over , it's sad when a team like Brazil try to cheat their way to a win.
Glad they're out.
edit on 6-7-2018 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Friday July 6th Results

Quarter Final : France 2-0 Uruguay

Vive La France! A game decided by the two keepers. Hugo Lloris the French goalkeeper made a vital world class save. Unfortunately Fernando Muslera in the Uruguayan goal made a fatal schoolboy error.

Raphael Varane headed home a cross from a free kick to give the French the lead late in the first half. The just after the hour mark Tony Greasemonkey lofted a shot from outside of the box that looked an easy catch to the billions watching around the world. Whoops!! Muslera pawed at it as he appeared to misjudge the flight of the ball and it was 2-0 France. Uruguay, without injured Edson Cavanni still created a number of chances but in the end France simply wore them down.

Quarter Final : Belgium 2-1 Brazil

The last of the non-European teams, Brazil, finally bowed out of the tournament without ever really hitting the heights they seemed capable of. Perhaps Neymar's tendency towards theatrics had something to do with it?

In an exciting game Belgium took a 2-0 lead with an own goal off Fernandinho's arm and a sublime goal from Kevin de Bruyne. In the second half Brazil piled on the pressure. But despite Douglas Costa looking lively when he came on for Jesus in the second half Brazil were unable to score the two goals to level the tie. The referee waved away claims for a penalty following Vincent Kompany moving his leg away as Gabriel Jesus succumbed to the gravitational forces of the Earth. A Rene and Renato Augusto late goal was not enough to save Brazil. Belgium now meet their neighbours France in the semi-final....

Coming Soon.....

Saturday 7th July
--------------
Quarter-finals

Sweden v England
Russia v Croatia

Tuesday 10th July
-----------------
Semi-Final

France v Belgium

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 10:14 PM
link   
For once, i don't feel cheated by the semi-final line-up !

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 09:28 AM
link   
We look very nervy. Get a grip England.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Sweden 0 Engerland 1 , 30 minutes in.
Good pressure from England toward the end of the first half , 1-0 at the break.

edit on 7-7-2018 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 09:47 AM
link   
We may end up regretting having Sterling in the team. He is a liability.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

He just needs a goal tbh, he will get one.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 10:15 AM
link   
It's coming home......

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 10:16 AM
link   
2-0 England !!!!

Jordan Pickford , what a keeper ... awesome.
edit on 7-7-2018 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 10:42 AM
link   

as a former goalkeeper I am a harsh critic.
But all I can say is wow! Pickford is in the zone today!

Mirageman,
I want to say thank you for making this thread and posting match synopsis's . I particularly enjoy your little touches of humor!

Respectfully,
~meathead

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join