It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.K. House of Lords gives Parliament a say on May's Britex Deal

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

well after centuries of self flagellation and abuse , we dont think we are great, after being told we are nothing but the #e on the sole of a shoe!

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 10:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

We British have always been at our best and fiercest when we have our backs to the wall.

Yes!
I always chuckle when I read US members saying things like 'subjects of the Crown' etc, we're a nation of activists, and we don't have to fear being shot dead when we rise up either.
There will be short term challenges for sure, the EU will spank us, but in the medium term I'm convinced we'll come out stronger as an independent nation.
The EU commission can go # themselves.

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 10:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82
a reply to: eletheia

Great Britain ceased being great the day the empire died at the battle of the somme !

the only thing great left in Britain is our WMD - Trident

Or it's the name of the land mass. One or the other.

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
Why keep 10% hereditary at all?

I did not suggest that. I said "key roles of state". Regardless, whichever way you cut it the House of Lords is due for reform. Bunch of old farts that are appointed by patronage.

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot

Lol, made me actual laugh at that, it's surprising how many Brits don't understand the 'great' and that it just represents the wider island.

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Been quoted many times before but its worth posting again.

Words of an American Soldier...

“Those Brits are a strange old race, they show affection by abusing each other, will think nothing of casually stopping in the middle of a fire fight for there “brew up” and eat food that I wouldn’t give to a dying dog! but # me, I would rather have one British squaddie on side than a entire battalion of spetznaz!!!… Why? Because the British are the only people in the world who when the chips are down and there seems like no hope left, instead of getting sentimental or hysterical, will strap on there pack, charge there rifle, light up a smoke and calmly and wryly grin “well are we going then you wanker??”

katedavill.wordpress.com...

Its ingrained in the British psyche.

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 10:13 AM
link   

The Great in Great Britain was originally used to differentiate between the British Isles and Brittany in France.
There are numerous historical and cultural links between the two.

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

We just gpt to hope for the best and hold on tight with the Bfrexit fianal outcome.

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Haha, never read that before but so true!

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 10:18 AM
link   

UK exceptionalism is just as stupid and misplaced as the American version. We are the same collection of good guys, arses and everything in between as everywhere else.

We may well make a huge success of brexit but it will depend on good political and economic decision making and a decent amount of luck. Just being British isn't conferring on us any special advantage that will guarantee success.
edit on 15-6-2018 by ScepticScot because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 10:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: eletheiaOh ye of little faith.....

We have the capacity.....

We have the ability .....

We have the people....

To manufacture and compete with the rest of the world, to be the best.

I can remember when a tab or label with *Made in Britain*

meant a guarantee of the best.... Its time to take a leaf out of Trump's

book and Make Britain Great Again

Yeag totally agree with everything you said but where's trhe dosh coming from to set us up again? These things cost billions to fund and then are they going to match the Continentals products? Maybe so but as our nation is utterly financially broke then wheres the dosh coming from and whose gonna have the confidence to get things going investment style? The way the world changes so fast these days it's so diffucault to make the long term plans. The only way I can see of things changing is nuking China then a massive currency devaluation on Sterling to make the rest of the world Uncompetiitve

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 10:21 AM
link   

I know mate, but its Friday and its almost pub o'clock!

ETA
Correction - it IS pub o'clock!
edit on 15/6/18 by Freeborn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Not for me as I have to drive tonight.

May explain why slightly narky.

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 10:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot

UK exceptionalism is just as stupid and misplaced as the American version. We are the same collection of good guys, arses and everything in between as everywhere else.

We may well make a huge success of brexit but it will depend on good political and economic decision making and a decent amount of luck. Just being British isn't conferring on us any special advantage that will guarantee success.

On the other hand, perhaps all are 'exceptional' and only a few recognize and acknowledge the fact?
edit on 15-6-2018 by nwtrucker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 10:24 AM
link   

I disagree, there are cultural differences between nations, some are subservient compared to others.
I love my Polish mates, they have a spirit or attitude that is similar to the stereotype Brit that Freeborn refers to. I'm surprised you don't see it yourself, but you aren't really very patriotic though so you probably wouldn't understand.

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy

I disagree, there are cultural differences between nations, some are subservient compared to others.
I love my Polish mates, they have a spirit or attitude that is similar to the stereotype Brit that Freeborn refers to. I'm surprised you don't see it yourself, but you aren't really very patriotic though so you probably wouldn't understand.

Cultural differences yes. Doesn't make us any better or worse.

Patriotism is best reserved for 80 minute bursts.

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Haha so you are a rugby fan then?!
We find some agreement at least

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Only real rugby. Not the soft league version by 'Northerners' like Freeborn...

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 10:39 AM
link   

PMSL! I can't stand rugby league, no rucking, mauling, scrums, it winds me up watching it!
My son plays first team for our town, tighthead prop, he'd be out of business if it wasn't for Union rugby lol
edit on 15-6-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: typo

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Here, here.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join