It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.K. House of Lords gives Parliament a say on May's Britex Deal

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 06:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82
a reply to: FlyInTheOintment

these house of lords you mention is the very reason why we do not have a democracy in the United Kingdom!

their position and power inherited and maintained by some draconian law which provides that you are entitled to a life better than anyone else born through a vaginal cavity by virtue of your surname!

so not sure why everyone still thinks we live in some modern world where a democracy is the reason we all do what we do !
because unelected lords and bishops and monarchs do not make a democracy!"

Amen to that. They are trying to block the will of the people and ignore the fact that we voted to leave. Sickening, really.

edit on 15-6-2018 by oldcarpy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 07:21 AM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

Any world government would need to be formed for the right reasons.

We simply don't have the inclination to stand united as a race whilst power and wealth are so unevenly distributed amongst the respective populations of our planet.

Does not mean we it will not happen, it eventually will, but for all the wrong reasons while bankers and corporations wag our politicians tail.

Most of those vacant jobs are zero hour contracts, minimum wage, monkey work, that's does not provide enough monies to survive.

Least, imho, that's how it looks from this side of the pond.

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 07:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82
their position and power inherited and maintained by some draconian law which provides that you are entitled to a life better than anyone else born through a vaginal cavity by virtue of your surname!

To be fair, there are not that many inherited titles in the House of Lords these days.

However, I agree the House of Lords needs reform of its membership to remove patronage and all that crap; though its role is sound. I would be content with an elected body, or a partially elected body to preserve key roles of state. Reduce the number to 400 and roll with 90% elected.

The palaver over the Lords Brexit meddling has just reinforced the need for reform.

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 07:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: ufoorbhunter
I just don'r see why we should meddle with something that works already and doesn't need fixing. It's like taking California, splitting it from the rest of USA, risking putting 10 % tariffs on companies importing and exporting.

I fail to see how you can compare California and America with the UK and EU,

California has been part of America for ever, the UK Is an island and not on the

European continent.

Obviously 52% of the population don't think it was working!

And since when was the the UK in a *union* with the EU?

We joined a *common market* 45 yrs.ago for trading and now there's

talk of further political intergration, quota's for immigrants thrust on us, and an

EU army in the pipeline!!

I think Trump is bang on defending US industry from unfair foreigners btw, he's taking the bull by the horns and playing Comboy

Well you cant knock him for his intention of MAGA

As for the UK we need to MBGA?

I do need the EU supply chain here I can't do with no EU tariff free products. Britain just not make the chemicals and textiles like they do in Germany and Italy, they make the best in the world.

Oh ye of little faith.....

We have the capacity.....

We have the ability .....

We have the people....

To manufacture and compete with the rest of the world, to be the best.

I can remember when a tab or label with *Made in Britain*

meant a guarantee of the best.... Its time to take a leaf out of Trump's

book and Make Britain Great Again

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Why keep 10% hereditary at all?

Why keep Lords or the house of Lords period or the monarchy for that matter?

If Brexit is about progress how come our system of government is arcane and ancient?
edit on 15-6-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 08:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Any world government would need to be formed for the right reasons.

We simply don't have the inclination to stand united as a race whilst power and wealth are so unevenly distributed amongst the respective populations of our planet.

Does not mean we it will not happen, it eventually will, but for all the wrong reasons while bankers and corporations wag our politicians tail.

Most of those vacant jobs are zero hour contracts, minimum wage, monkey work, that's does not provide enough monies to survive.

Least, imho, that's how it looks from this side of the pond.

Why would you assume that for the 'right reasons' would result in any better form of gov't than any of us have experienced? You add in the fact that the bigger the gov't, the bigger the the vested interest needs to be to influence that gov't. The individual becomes more and more a mere statistic. One of seven billion? One is a virtual nothing.

One only has to look at the EU as an example. What the EU could have been. The opportunity that was missed. You would support an even bigger control mechanism?

Your perception of the job situation is false. I will give you a grass roots report. My family is involved in five different industries, none of which are high end. I'm also connected with 'head-hunters'. Those who find qualified people for higher end positions. The cub-board is bare, sir. There's no other way to put it. There's an unprecedented number of TV ads from the military for enlistees. They can't even meet normal recruitment quotas. Too many civilian jobs out there to be had.You will find none of what I'm telling you on normal media. The shortage is way worse in the high-end positions. Believe it or not!!

The H1B work visa for foreign workers is what's saving the high tech industries. Lateral movement to different companies is rampant. Same job and responsibilities, 25-50% increase in compensation. In high oil production locales, Midland, Texas and other areas, trucking is as high as 140,000 a year.

We haven't even started the infrastructure improvements, as of yet! Multiple 10s of billions flowing in from foreign investors. Chinese, Japanese, etc.. Of course, this produces other problems but those problems are far more preferable than the ones we had two short years ago. It is stunning how fast a resurgence happens with the right conditions exist.

All it took was make it profitable to do business in the U.S. over other nations. So don't tell me the UK can't do the same.

This is the truth. You won't find it in your or our media. For obvious reasons, yes?
edit on 15-6-2018 by nwtrucker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 08:18 AM
link   

"Why would you assume that for the 'right reasons' would result in any better form of gov't than any of us have experienced?"

The simple answer is progress, the fact of the matter is the world is a small place in this day of age.

Humanity must come together and unite else our cultures, just like all that have came before, will stagnant and die.

United we stand a chance of addressing the larger problems we face as a race, divided we have little hope of seeing out the next century alone without a significant paradigm shift.
edit on 15-6-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

You might not have seen these numbers:

www.washingtonpost.com... term=.b68266ed824f

Don't misunderstand, there are major Corporate interest against this trend, as well as political..

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 08:46 AM
link   

"Why would you assume that for the 'right reasons' would result in any better form of gov't than any of us have experienced?"

The simple answer is progress, the fact of the matter is the world is a small place in this day of age.

Humanity must come together and unite else our cultures, just like all that have came before, will stagnant and die.

United we stand a chance of addressing the larger problems we face as a race, divided we have little hope of seeing out the next century alone without a significant paradigm shift.

Sorry, but buried in the truth of your views-there are truths in them- we are not ready for a world government. The insanity which co-exists with the nobility of humanity assures the failure of such a mechanism. I will therefore settle for 'pockets' of relative sanity over being pulled down to an enforced 'average'.

The most damning thing about a world gov't is it almost assures a world war before it even has a chance to occur. Too many conflicting interests. It approaches a near nightmare scenario in my view of it. We shall have to agree to disagree on that one.

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

Great Britain ceased being great the day the empire died at the battle of the somme !

the only thing great left in Britain is our WMD - Trident

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

Yeah - and that's American.

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 09:27 AM
link   

a reply to: paraphi

Why keep 10% hereditary at all?

Why keep Lords or the house of Lords period or the monarchy for that matter?

If Brexit is about progress how come our system of government is arcane and ancient?

I agree, I'd ditch the whole lot, make the second chamber fully elected, and I wouldn't even have a head of state, just whoever is the PM. I'd let the queen keep whatever houses she has, and turn the Crown Estate into the Public Estate, maybe pay for upkeep of palaces which people visit, but the civil list payments would stop if it was my decision.

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Dare I ask how you might deal with the likes of Andrew, Edward, Eugenie etc?

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 09:40 AM
link   

On this I've got to disagree mate; the only thing great left in Britain is the same thing that made it great in the first place - its people, the ordinary man and woman in the street. Its us that made this Union of ours great, not the elite who have used, abused and exploited us since the Norman conquest.

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: oldcarpy

Lol yes, I'd be saying get a job or ask gran to sort you out if you're skint.
No public engagements, no need, entitled family relying on birthright. It has no place in a modern nation as far as I'm concerned.

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy

Off with their heads!

Nothing like a public hanging to focus attention!

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 09:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

On this I've got to disagree mate; the only thing great left in Britain is the same thing that made it great in the first place - its people, the ordinary man and woman in the street. Its us that made this Union of ours great, not the elite who have used, abused and exploited us since the Norman conquest.

Massively agree, it IS our people, and the EU can carry on playing hard ball with us because it will only draw us together. I know loads of people who voted remain who have changed their opinion since the EU commission started being pricks about the divorce.

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 09:48 AM
link   

I'm whistling the theme from The Dambusters as I type this!

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Good.

posted on Jun, 15 2018 @ 09:54 AM
link   

We British have always been at our best and fiercest when we have our backs to the wall.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join