It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

With so much extreme gerrymandering why vote at all

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 07:15 AM
link   
I've said it a thousand times and I will continue to say it. Republicans are just as bad as Democrats and if you think otherwise you are delusional. Here is a quote from David R. Lewis a Republican from North Carolina on gerrymandering, "We draw the maps to give a partisan advantage to 10 Republicans and three Democrats because I do not believe it’s possible to draw a map with 11 Republicans and two Democrats.”

The Supreme Court may decide to continue to have a democracy in this country if it decides to make a ruling on partisan based gerrymandering. Until then, I see absolutely no reason in voting. The system is rigged. It's a big club and you and I are NOT in it!

edit on 12-6-2018 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 07:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015
I've said it a thousand times and I will continue to say it. Republicans are just as bad as Democrats and if you think otherwise you are delusional. Here is a quote from David R. Lewis a Republican from North Carolina on gerrymandering, "We draw the maps to give a partisan advantage to 10 Republicans and three Democrats because I do not believe it’s possible to draw a map with 11 Republicans and two Democrats.”

The Supreme Court may decide to continue to have a democracy in this country if it decides to make a ruling on partisan based gerrymandering. Until then, I see absolutely no reason in voting. The system is rigged. It's a big club and you and I are NOT in it!

That is why we have leaders for we ARE NOT IN IT.

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 07:24 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

I will still exercise my right to vote. If you don't like what is going on, you have a voice to think of a way to get attention to what isn't right.

Rigged or not. The people have the final say, not the government

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 07:31 AM
link   

That's why BOTH parties don't like Trump.

He is not playing along with there little pony show.

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Heres the thing.

It may well be that voting will not avail the people of a given country the result they desire. It may well be that voting in the United States, will not actually permit the people to exercise the amount of power they are due, despite their being the only legitimate source of power in the country. But... even if it were to become the case, that no matter how large a majority of people vote for one thing, the other happens, at least if you vote, you make a record of your opposition to the things that happen. If you vote against an unwelcome leader, or their batch of insane and regressive agendas, even if those things come about anyway, you at least have a record to show in the future "Here, look. We did not agree to this, we all said no, all these millions upon millions of us, and they did it anyway. The actions of our leaders do not represent the feelings, thoughts and attitudes of our people, and I have the paperwork to prove it".

You can show that evidence to your fellow activists, to remind them what their protest ought to be about. You can show that evidence to journalists from all over the world, to make sure that those journalists remind their nations people, that the American people no longer have even a light hand on the tiller of their nation. You can show those things to your children's children, so that they are aware from childhood onward, that there is a fight to fight, one which must never end until liberty by way of the power being provided to the citizen, is achieved for all people living in your country.

But while people allow themselves to believe that their can be liberty without direct control over policy by the people themselves, as opposed to their corporate sponsored representatives, there will always be a fight to fight, to regain liberty, to regain the power that the people who founded your nation, intended you all to have in the first place. THAT is why you keep voting. Its not just to make this or that happen, or get this or that person elected. Its so that you KNOW you did everything you can, and can show the fact down the line.

Sometimes a vote is not about what you can gain, or what you can cause. Sometimes, its just about knowing that you did the right thing, and being able to show that you did later on, when people are throwing up their hands and asking why their world is collapsing.

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 07:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: WarPig1939

I will still exercise my right to vote. If you don't like what is going on, you have a voice to think of a way to get attention to what isn't right.

Rigged or not. The people have the final say, not the government

rigged or not, people have the final say??? what kind of nonsense is that?.....if it's rigged, it doesn't matter what the people want.....jesus, take a logic course

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 07:56 AM
link   
I feel the need to vote to help cancel out the vote of people that want Bernie Sanders and hillary clinton.
The choices all suck but some suck more than others.

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 07:57 AM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

There is no reason to expect logical statements from someone who supports the current agenda, the current administration, or indeed the current President.

You and I both know that if something is rigged, it takes the power away from the people, especially when the only power the people have, is held within that vote.

But expecting those who thrive on indoctrination and hatred to understand that, is just not practical in this day and age. There is no reason to expect logic from people who have bought the Trump con.

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 08:54 AM
link   

We're direct victims of gerrymandering. We voted against Ted Budd. We not only ended up with him in the district where we lived, when we moved to a different one, we STILL ended up with- Ted Budd. *HOW* is beyond my comprehension. I asked my wife, who is more savvy in this sort of area. She gave me a look of resignation and said "I have no f***ing idea."

When you get those kinds of stellar results, why the hell bother at all? The house is rigged, the cards are marked, and the dice are loaded.

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 09:27 AM
link   

American politics has always been a nasty slugfest.

At least with Gerrymandering, I can live in a District where my interests are somewhat represented. Not that it matters much since all Congress does is raise campaign contributions.

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

True, unfortunately the system pretty much makes suckers of all of us when the only option is the lesser of two evils. Either way you go your voting for an evil.

What we need is a Party of Endless Resistance that doesnt run people for office but instead organizes at the State and Local level to challenge and refute the legitimacy of any elected Government. That group, or party, should make any elected official feel unsafe anywhere.

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

You would be ok though if Hillary won. You are a liberal mind through and through. Can only see through your special colored glasses. Many of us here were Democrat voters that saw the evil path and jumped track.

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: SunnyDee

I was absolutely mortified when Hillary won the Democrat nomination. I think it was a rig, a fix, by those in the Democrat Party, who are furthest to the right of it, frankly speaking.

I have no time for the woman. She was everything that is wrong with the Democrat Party, in that those closest to the centre of it, are no different from Republican conservatives, and some of them a great deal worse. The only way I would personally have been happy to hear who the new President of the United States was, would have been if it were Bernie.

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Come on, man. Yes gerrymandering sucks, but people should vote anyway. Every single vote matters with local elections and State elections. And whether you vote or not, the candidates, their donors in those districts, their staff, and their other cronies will definitely vote. Choosing not to vote will simply make it that much easier for them to get their way (as in, if you hate a specific candidate, the least you can do is vote against them to nullify their own vote).

We've already had 2 special elections here so far this year and I think we have another one coming up soon. One even included an important ballot initiative. There's no way I'm not voting on these things just because I disagree with the shapes of our districts.

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 10:36 AM
link   

I'm really excited to vote blue in my PA district this year. Don't hold back. Every vote matters and we need to get the Trump swamp in check and eventually kicked out of office. Can't do that if you give up before the fight.

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 03:10 PM
link   

The people have the final say, not the government
a reply to: WarPig1939

oh to be young and naive again...

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Funny my vote worked, not sure how yours got broke

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I learned from the time that I was young, long before I was eligible to vote, that only people who vote have the right to complain about the results.

Also, from a cultural perspective, African Americans were denied the right to vote for generations. Activists in the middle of the last century, both black and white, faced police dogs, water cannons, and the KKK to reverse that trend. Any of us who do not exercise our right to vote disregards and disrespects the sacrifices of those brave people.

Having said that, I share your anguish and discouragement. Where I live, my vote for local representatives at both the state and national level has little effect in electing people who share my values. In many elections the incumbents run unopposed; in those cases I take delight in writing in my own candidates. For instance, some of my favorites:
- Kinky Friedman
- Seymore Butts
- I. P. Freely

I suggest making it as painless as possible. Even fun if you can. Make sure to go vote, and earn the right to complain!

-dex

posted on Jun, 13 2018 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Blame the Democrats. NC Republicans filed numerous bills to end gerrymandering there, Democrats benefited so they refused to end it.

join