It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chicago-bound United Airlines flight diverted due to 'security concern'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Chicago-bound United Airlines Flight UA-971 was diverted to Ireland on its way from Rome, following what the airline deemed a "potential security concern."

A bomb threat was reportedly left scribbled on a surface in one of the aircraft's bathrooms, a source with knowledge of the investigation told Reuters. The plane and all the passengers were searched after the plane landed in Ireland.

Further, a U.S. government source told Reuters the government was aware of the incident and looking to determine whether the threat was violent.

The airline posted on Twitter that the flight would be delayed over night, and would depart for Chicago on Tuesday morning.

Among security measures, the Irish Times reported that local police were taking handwriting samples from other passengers in attempts to match the handwriting of the threat.

What do you think, ATS?

Just a prank?

I guess they still investigating the incident because there's little information about it. I'll try to update when more are available.

Source
edit on 12/6/2018 by vinifalou because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 06:45 AM
link   
a reply to: vinifalou

CVID?

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Shouldn't there be camera footage showing everyone who may have entered that particular bathroom, and narrow down the list of suspects?

I would Hope so, since the Sounder train I take to Seattle all the time is riddled with cameras, and if this happened they would have a short list of everyone who either entered, or at least everyone who walked near the bathroom door (I don't know if the camera at that area points at the bathroom door, but with the potential for crimes from vandalism, drug use, rape, etc to occur in the privacy of the bathroom, I would think it would be an obvious spot to place a camera... It would only be able to see the outside of the bathroom door, not inside the bathroom, unless the door was open, in which case there is no legal expectation of privacy.)

I wonder, is it Possible someone did this during the Last flight, and it just wasn't noticed until now? I don't know exactly where it was. I would assume they clean the bathrooms in between flights, so if it was somewhere out in the open then it would have been caught by those cleaners...right?
edit on 6/12/2018 by 3n19m470 because: (no reason given)

edit on 6/12/2018 by 3n19m470 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 07:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Cauliflower

I have no idea what that means.

a reply to: 3n19m470

That was my thought as well. I'm not sure if there's any footage.

Articles should be mentioning this... Mhmm...

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 09:53 AM
link   

The reasons for avoiding airline travel are literally endless.

And yet, like Zombies the cattle herd onto the aircraft in droves.

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 09:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS
The reasons for avoiding airline travel are literally endless.

And yet, like Zombies the cattle herd onto the aircraft in droves.

I've thought about driving from New Jersey to the west coast for work meetings but then I thought again. Maybe I can take the choo-choo.

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

From what camera? There are no camera systems on aircraft that would show that.

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Actually, it was a Presidential Order . . . seems Mr. Trump truly believed the airplane was made from aluminum and steel from Canada and, as such, it posed a serious bigly HEEEEOOOOOOOOGE security threat.

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 10:21 AM
link   

False Flag. Happened yesterday.

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3n19m470

Shouldn't there be camera footage showing everyone who may have entered that particular bathroom, and narrow down the list of suspects?

I would Hope so, since the Sounder train I take to Seattle all the time is riddled with cameras, and if this happened they would have a short list of everyone who either entered, or at least everyone who walked near the bathroom door (I don't know if the camera at that area points at the bathroom door, but with the potential for crimes from vandalism, drug use, rape, etc to occur in the privacy of the bathroom, I would think it would be an obvious spot to place a camera... It would only be able to see the outside of the bathroom door, not inside the bathroom, unless the door was open, in which case there is no legal expectation of privacy.)

surprisingly for this day in age as far as i have seen, there are no cameras on aircraft at all. which seems rather weird with all the security concerns involving aircraft as well as all the incidents aboard aircraft the last few years with people freaking out and or fighting and such. even buses now tend to have cameras both inside the bus to watch passengers as well as at the doors to record what is happening outside by the doors.
and yes cameras would easily help narrow down who it might have been. but not on aircraft? seems rather strange when you think about it.

I wonder, is it Possible someone did this during the Last flight, and it just wasn't noticed until now? I don't know exactly where it was. I would assume they clean the bathrooms in between flights, so if it was somewhere out in the open then it would have been caught by those cleaners...right?

you assume much about cleaning aircraft. they do a really crappy job of it. they don't always even clean barf off of seats. nor do they do anything about a seat someone has pissed in. and that is technically a health hazard. yet they fully expect people to sit in those seats. and who says that the message was not put there by those supposedly cleaning the aircraft? quite literally it could have been anyone involved in the currant flight, the flight before or anyone on the aircraft between flights.

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Good luck with that!

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 01:41 PM
link   
ARFF here...
Unfortunately I have never seen any camera system on any aircraft in my years of service. Except for last minute specials like airshow mounts external and one Antonov 225 landing gears...

But never for surveillance. Surprisingly surveillance would make sense, but no I have never seen it.

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

Thank the unions. They've been trying to put them in the cockpit for years, and every time they do, the pilot union cites privacy concerns and fights tooth and nail to stop it.

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Well it would have certainly helped when that co-pilot locked the pilot out of the cockpit then steadily went into a mountain side ( in Germany I think ) a few years back. I was convinced it was due to a stroke... but I was very wrong.

Unions,
But silliness aside, I'd be worried about a camera catching me pick my nose while flying a couple million(s) dollar aircraft too.

'Go-Pros' are dirt cheap now.. load those planes up.

Off topic... damnit! Just taught my last class for Puerto Rico... walking away from firefighting.... Done. Zip. This parrot is (dead) finished. (No More) Nursing too.

Man.. really hard to walk away. By the way.... if people only knew how many "smell of smoke alerts" come in daily to just one Airport. No less than 3 in 12hrs.

edit on 12-6-2018 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

That's why I occasionally troll news pages with comments like, "slow news day huh" when they put up a story about someone smelling smoke on a plane.

top topics

join