It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA is sending Helicopter to Mars , the numbers!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 06:10 AM
link   
I still have an hard time to believe that this mission will be a success. But indeed with only 1 watt of power it seems that Flying a drone on mars is theoretical possible.

I came across this video from NASA claiming that they were gonna fly a drone unmasked
My immediate thought was no Vickers Mars has about 1/100 the atmosphere of Earth
So how are they gonna fly that thing in an atmosphere
Now I've called up NASA when they've come out with bull# before...

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 06:54 AM
link   
If it doesn't work, it would not be the first time NASA made an expensive mistake. The thing about their mistakes is that someone else pays for them and they gain money for everything they do, even if it does not work. I am sure that they will make two and one will be stationed on earth somewhere where it looks like Mars.

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 07:15 AM
link   
a reply to: frenchfries

Oh my, another NASA hater bitching on youtube. Yawn.

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 07:16 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

.... pictures of eskimo's on mars returing a broken drone would be awesome

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Should be the first clue that the advertised atmosphere is not what you have been led to believe it is. Clearly with dust devils and wind storms occurring on the planet there is something more than a whisp of it. Wonder why the Super sand storms on Mars have halted in recent years ? Curious

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 07:19 AM
link   
a reply to: moebius

well ... this drone will actually fly that's the point of the vid. I don't hate nasa , I don't think they're completely honest there is a difference.

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 07:22 AM
link   
a reply to: MetalThunder

Don't know ..the specs are actually in theory ok. But Nasa being Nasa I have a hard time to believe any of it. Also I couldn't find any vid inwhich the drone did actually fly in nearly vacuum.

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Same thing I wondered, if Mars has an atmosphere close to vacuum....

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Should work.

Gravity is less than earth.

Atmospheric density is 'about one percent as dense as earth.

So baring any technical difficulties.

It should work.

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 09:43 AM
link   

When ?
I consider this baby steps... we should have had humans on Mars a decade ago

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Spacespider

Maybe I'll see the first social justice Warrior on mars , then again I might not. don't know what's better yet.
But drones on mars , well hope Nasa succeeds and makes it a believable feat.

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 12:43 PM
link   
My one question that nobody has asked. Why? What has NASA got to gain with a flying drone? Doesn't Mars orbiter take good enough pictures of Mars? Why do they need to fly close to the surface?

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 01:06 PM
link   
NASA is sending Crapshoot to Mars. News at 11!

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

I really do not know. NASA could do much better research. Seems to me that the drone will break at it's very first mission. there are just too much things that can go wrong... and murphy never sleeps.

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 01:11 PM
link   
How is this not awe-inspiring...

We are sending UFOs to other worlds...
Flying freaking objects to interplanetary neighbors....

This is AWESOME..

If y’all aren’t impressed then I can’t help you..

Because this is a stunning example of humanity’s(NASA) exceptionalism and scientific prowess...

-Chris

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 01:33 PM
link   
So am i allowed to send a drone up there too?

Seems like it is possible and there is much treasures up there from what i hear.

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
My one question that nobody has asked. Why? What has NASA got to gain with a flying drone? Doesn't Mars orbiter take good enough pictures of Mars? Why do they need to fly close to the surface?

“There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why? I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?”

― George Bernard Shaw

So- why?

Well, for starters, a drone areal view gives the kind of close-up photos we need to determine what is worth having an even closer look at.
Orbital views are great- but if we identify from orbit what might be a massive cave system... well, that's it. We can't even take a quick peek to see if it's a massive cave or just a funny shadow.
As light as the atmosphere is on Mars, it can still make orbital photography hard. A closer fast-moving camera lets us cover a lot of ground in great detail in a short period of time- which is great for deciding where we might want to send a rover for samples or an even closer view.

I've not looked too closely at this project from nasa yet- but if it does work, I forsee the next big feat being a curiosity-like rover with several drones- using the rover as a "base" for recharging, dumping data for transmission, picking up new orders... It doesn't really make too much sense to try and control a flying device from too far away- so the drones are going to need to be largely in control of their own missions. Giving them a mobile (but probably slow moving) base station would be a decent way to get around that.

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: manuelram16

If mars has atmosphere close to vacuum how do they get gigantic sand storms sand has weight you need a lot of wind to whip up a storm that is hundreds if not thousands of kilometers in size even with less gravity . Now if the sand on mars was like fine flour it would still need a lot of wind which means atmospheric pressure probably higher than they are admitting.

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
If it doesn't work, it would not be the first time NASA made an expensive mistake. The thing about their mistakes is that someone else pays for them and they gain money for everything they do, even if it does not work. I am sure that they will make two and one will be stationed on earth somewhere where it looks like Mars.

I think they should push the envelope sometimes. Not with lives, but I don't really have a huge problem with them occasionally using cutting-edge technologies (rather than tried-and-true ones) if they do so in a semi-responsible manner.

I mean, I don't want them throwing taxpayer money at pie-in-the sky ideas that have a low probability of working, but pushing the boundaries, if done so carefully, is what I think a Government Agency (or government-adjacent agency) should be doing. They need to be cutting-edge because non-government companies are too risk averse due to their need to always be watching the bottom line.

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: manuelram16
Same thing I wondered, if Mars has an atmosphere close to vacuum....

Two things:

1. The rotors will spin at extremely high speed -- something like 3000 RPMs, which is 10 times faster than a traditional helicopter.

2. Mars' gravity is about 1/3 that of Earth's. Therefore less lift is required to keep it airborne.

The best helicopter's on Earth generally have a ceiling of about 40,000 feet. the density of Mars' atmosphere near the surface is similar to Earth's at 100,000 feet. So the helicopter they are sending needs to be small and light. The main body will be about the size of a grapefruit.

edit on 14/6/2018 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

<<   2 >>

join