It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's not that the earth is getting warmer, but rather that the wind are getting slower.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: FyreByrd

Look up Global Dimming which is also a 'near' concurrent effect of global warming.
Not really.

And other patented weather modification techniques being used as weapons and other unknown reasons.
Such as? But you know that the vast majority of the planet is signatory to the ENMOD treaty?

Yes I do know that many countries are signatories to the ENMOD treaty. That does not however ensure compliance. As we verify through history the US is not big on HONORing treaties. Nor does the treaty have control over 'private international entities'.

It is of concern:

Solar geoengineering is a set of proposed means to block or reflect a small portion of incoming sunlight in order to counteract and reduce anthropogenic climate change.

Largely in response to disappointing abatement of greenhouse gas emissions, interest and research in solar geoengineering have risen steadily over the last decade.

There have been, among other things, authoritative reports from the Royal Society and the US National Academies (McNutt et al., 2015; Shepherd et al., 2009), an international model intercomparison project (Kravitz et al., 2015), and a recommendation for publicly‐funded research by the US Global Change Research Program (2017).

Preliminary outdoor experiments of solar geoengineering techniques have been proposed and, in at least a couple cases, funded.

onlinelibrary.wiley.com...

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 06:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
Bull and crap.

IF global warming was the 'culprit' wind speeds would be magnified, not slowed.

Not really. Heat causes convection, not advection.

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Yes. The unforeseen consequences (as well as some of the foreseen ones) of SRM are of great concern. But you were talking about the weaponization of weather modification techniques.

1) SRM is not a weather modification technique. That is why the UN (and other bodies) would like to see an international agreement on the use (or not) of SRM. There already is ENMOD, which does not apply to SRM.

2) If any nation were suspected of violating the ENMOD treaty they would be called out on it. Bigly.

3) There is no indication that there are any in situ applications of SRM being conducted.

edit on 6/11/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Every winter we hear about an arctic blast. It seems that is due to lower speeds of the jet stream at the n pole.

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: wakeupstupid

I doubt it.. we’ll Forests scrub CO2, so maybe from the global warming angle, but the wind speed is highest on the plains where they have no obstructions.

I bet funnels increase the micro wind speed, but not the macro.

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

A common misconception, the polar jet stream doesn't cause weather.

It is more of a signpost for where weather occurs. The polar jet stream forms at the interface between the cold Arctic airmass and the warmer temperate airmass. It is thought that, because the Arctic is warming far more rapidly than temperate regions, the strength of that interface is declining, causing it to be more flukey (and yes, for the jet stream to be weaker).

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: MysticPearl

Well now, that very much depends upon ones viewpoint, doesn't it?

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Actually, It is due to the Earth's magnetic field:

New Analysis Suggests Earth's Magnetic Field Is Destabilizing

www.iflscience.com...

A Mysterious Anomaly Under Africa Is Radically Weakening Earth's Magnetic Field

www.sciencealert.com...

Earth's Magnetic Field Is Weakening 10 Times Faster Now

www.livescience.com...

Unexplained Activity Detected in Earth’s Magnetic Field
mysteriousuniverse.org...

Earth’s magnetic poles due to flip with dire effects, report claims
nypost.com...
edit on 11-6-2018 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Earth’s magnetic poles due to flip with dire effects, report claims
I don't see weather or climate effects listed. Granted, the article is pretty much crap.

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Sorry,

www.sciencedirect.com...

phys.org...

Focus: Simulations Strengthen Earth’s Magnetic-Field/Climate Connection
physics.aps.org...

Geological support for the Umbrella Effect as a link between geomagnetic field and climate
www.nature.com...

edit on 11-6-2018 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker
Your first source says this:

A proposed mechanism involves variations in the geometry of the geomagnetic field (f.i. tilt of the dipole to lower latitudes), resulting in enhanced cosmic-ray induced nucleation of clouds.
Proposed. Any convincing link with climate and cosmic ray induced nucleation has been elusive.

Your second source says this:

New research, published this week, has provided scientists with greater insight into the climatic changes happening in the upper atmosphere.
The way upper atmosphere. The ionosphere, to be exact.

Your third source:

In Physical Review Letters, researchers present a simulation that strengthens the case that the field was influenced by climate changes.
It seems your vice is versa on that one.

Your forth source is, again, about a link to cosmic radiation. But the theory seems out of whack with what is occurring. A weaker magnetic field would allow more cosmic radiation to enter atmosphere, in theory. That would cause more clouds, which would increase albedo and result in lower temperatures. Right?

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Ok sorry for cutting out for a while after posting this. I wanted to get the discussion started as to the wind speeds since it's not something people think about.

I purposely posted those two links since they provide the best data to discuss without blaming people (mostly) for the cause. I few of the interesting take away from this issue is the at the poles and over the oceans the wind speed is not as affected by this issue, but due to CO2 levels and temperature increases, vegetation has increased in areas and that seems to be a possible cause of the friction that's slowing down the surface wind speeds. While I don't fully understand this situation, I do understand that it's a new issue (well not really new, but newly recognized) that we're all going to deal with learning curve wise.

Thank you Phage for pointing out a few things I overlooked.
infolurker, the links you provided are food for thought, but along that vein it's clear that these studies on Cosmic Radiation have more to do with a weakening magnetic field rather then a slowing of wind speeds. I'm sure that an argument can be made to connect the two, but those studies didn't do that. Interesting never the less.

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 10:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7
Idk. Sounds like fake news.

Wind and weather is caused by uneven heat on the surface of the earth, not the other way around.

Land heats up and cools down faster than ocean water, so you get sea breezes going inland during the day and out to sea at night. But those really depend on the albedo or how light or dark the ground is in terms of absorption of light and infra-red. Buildings which are whitewashed and have reflective windows will just reflect the heat. Anything close to black will absorb the heat - best example is a car dashboard.

But we change the albedo of the ground when urban areas are developed. Trees absorb infra-red, while concrete will just reflect it. Rock will absorb heat.

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 10:32 PM
link   
So, the hurricanes are getting fatter and slower. Seems like they might be eating the same highly prepared foods Americans are eating.
edit on 11-6-2018 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 04:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Guyfriday

Seems here in England... wind speeds have been getting stronger and speeding up. I've noticed it in London anyway especially when I've been jogging over the park. In fact just taking a walk out to the local shops some days it's felt like hurricane speeds.. almost.

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 05:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Greven

I dont know but i would guess the biggest factot in global dimming is probably air travel. Be interesting if we banned all air travel to see what effects it had. Never happen but would be fun to see the data.

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 05:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr
a reply to: Greven

I dont know but i would guess the biggest factot in global dimming is probably air travel. Be interesting if we banned all air travel to see what effects it had. Never happen but would be fun to see the data.

That was done during 9/11. When all flights were grounded, researchers had the opportunity to see what effect the lack of contrails had on global temperatures and reflection of light back into space. It was a 1.5% difference.

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 07:12 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Oh really?

Care to explain your reasoning for that statement?

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Everyone must stop farting.
For the children!
Put a cork in your ass.
edit on 12-6-2018 by skunkape23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 01:42 PM
link   
So a person can lower the temperature in their house by simply moving the air in it faster. Hope the HVAC industry does not fold over this revelation.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join