It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme Court upholds Ohio voter registration purge policy

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

They'd be "dead" to that "district". Again I say, as has been said before. "Freedom isn't free". Your "freedom" depends on you, actually "working/putting forth effort" to maintain it. When in doubt? Register every F'n year if you want "your voice heard".
It's a simple solution to a nonexistent problem. Don't get all bent and whiney because they/you, can't function for your "freedom" and want a "participation trophy". S.C.O.T.U.S. did the right thing here. Go forth and exert yourself/put forth efforts. Then the court wouldn't have to get involved.

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: murphy22

When in doubt? Register every F'n year if you want "your voice heard".

No need for that. I get a card in the mail every year. It's also easy enough to check online, when in doubt.

edit on 6/11/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

I'd agree with you in a "democratic" (the governments job is to provide for you) kind of way. But it's not "freedoms" job, to hunt you down, so that you can "vote". That's your job! Always has been. But that all went south when the government convinced/educated you and others that if they could give you, your "freedom" everything would be peaches and cream.

That said, all the S.C.O.T.U.S. did was put the responsibility of freedom back into the lap of the lazy, whining, "want my cake and eat it too", types... This wad a good thing for America.

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 08:41 PM
link   

But it's not "freedoms" job, to hunt you down, so that you can "vote"
Correct. And states can verify that those on their rolls are still alive and at their registered residence.

Voters may not be removed from the registration rolls solely due to nonvoting, or for moving within the same electoral jurisdiction. States may “conduct a general program that makes a reasonable effort” to remove voters from the list due to death or a change of residence.

fas.org...

In the case at hand, the voter failed to "opt back in" after not voting in a single election. That seems bogus to me. SCOTUS says different.

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Yes, you are correct. But when "states" have to do that it cost time and money. And since "states" are not a for profit business and don't generate, earnings or profit. Everyone pays the bill.
There's no reason why the active citizens should pay for the "state" hunting the sick, lame and lazy down, so they can vote. S.C.O.T.U.S. made a good "precedent" with this, (now) "law". An awesome job!
edit on 11-6-2018 by murphy22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 09:15 PM
link   

There's no reason why the active citizens should pay for the "state" hunting the sick, lame and lazy down, so they can vote.
I disagree. I think it is a major responsibility of the states to ensure that their citizens' equal rights are upheld. You know, things like ADA accommodations and stuff.

It was a very narrow decision. It will be interesting to see how other states react.

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 09:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: murphy22
When in doubt? Go down and register to vote! A very simple solution, to a nonexistent problem.

Simple for who?

For me? Yes

For an elderly invalid - - who is housebound?

And, believe it or not - - not everyone has a working online computer.

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 07:36 AM
link   
This is great news. People are spreading a lot of disinformation about this. Not one eligible voter will be stopped from voting by this. If you show up on election day and your name isn't in the rolls, you can still vote on a provisional ballot and they just verify that you're eligible after the fact. That's one reason why it takes days or sometimes weeks to finalize the vote tally, because they double check all that stuff. You won't be turned away.

The only thing this will stop is fraud. Anyone spouting otherwise got lied to and is spreading disinformation, either unwittingly or knowingly. It's not racist. It's not voter disenfranchisement. Why the need to lie? Well, you would lie about this if you knew you were going to lose a lot of illegitimate votes. If the arguments about it being racist and stopping people from voting are false, what other reason would there be to oppose this?

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: buddah6
And Ohio or Illinois, if I recall correctly.

Used to be a Democrat standard in Texas when they had the machine in place. Thats how Johnson delivered Texas for Kennedy.

We probably havent had a genuinely "fair" election in decades.

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
This will make it much harder for all the dead people to vote for Democrats. No wonder it was challenged. I never miss a vote anywa so won’t affect people like me.

NO! the Dead have been voting.
this will NOT help at all.
and people that Dont vote for years!
they steal the vote same as the dead.

you should worry what happens later!
when you lose rights and maybe citizen ship?

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
a reply to: howtonhawky

as far as i know you just gotta vote

No. What they're purging is voter registrations. The "rolls" are the lists of registered voters. Ohio does not have same day voter registration. You have to register 30 days before the election. So if you don't realize that you have been removed from the rolls (deregistered) and you go to vote, no vote for you.

this is really just a good way to clear out all the community organizing that was done in the past

So you do get that this is really just about doing something that Republicans feel will benefit them?

but won't republicans who haven't voted in several years also be removed from the list?

I don't think you thought this trough.

posted on Jun, 12 2018 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: murphy22
When in doubt? Go down and register to vote! A very simple solution, to a nonexistent problem.

Simple for who?

For me? Yes

For an elderly invalid - - who is housebound?

And, believe it or not - - not everyone has a working online computer.

you seem to be online. And if you are an invalid, how in the world are you going to vote?

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join