It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme Court upholds Ohio voter registration purge policy

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey
a reply to: Enderdog

Don't forget these gems from Hamilton County from 2012: Nun & poll worker charged with voter fraud

One guy voted for himself and his dead wife (via absentee ballot...still illegal).

Another was a poll worker who voted illegally four times while working at the polls--all on behalf of Obama, of course. Imagine if the poll worker was helping someone with an IQ of 46 vote--whose vote would it be, really?

The nun also voted via absentee ballot on behalf of a dead nun at the school.

This is JUST Hamilton county, and these are JUST the people who were caught in JUST one single election. But remember, election fraud is not a problem--the mantra of many people who also think that voter ID laws and voter-roll purging is not just unnecessary, but disenfranchises people.

Rrrrriiiiiiigggggghhhhhhttttttt.

I've not heard anyone say Voter Fraud doesn't exist, but rather that its such a small % as to be inconsequential. The reaction, however, looks to reach much larger numbers, and generally in favor of 1 party.

How many actual legal voters should be dis-enfranchised from voting to stop 1 illegal voter? 1, 10, 100, 10,000? Does it make any difference to you if its 10k Democrat votes that are removed from the rolls in error vs 10k Republican votes?

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: howtonhawky
a reply to: Gothmog

Your opinion

is today idiot day?

there are many differences in the voting laws state by state

that is not opinion

you are just being divisive in every response

Ok , name one. In reference to the OP. Got to be on subject.
And , of course , the ignorant Liberal name calling instead of any substance. Predictable.
Folks need to learn to show their IQ level and not their shoe size.

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wayfarer
The real question is why do some people support this when it disproportionately disenfranchises voters of a specific political leaning. Its akin to admitting that you would prefer it if those who didn't agree with your political views weren't allowed to vote, or rather had a more difficult time voting. I just can't logic out a reason that doesn't make one sound comically evil.

This is utter nonsensical garbage.

Preferring that a state does its due diligence in keeping voter roles up-to-date and without error as much as possible is not "akin to admitting that [I] would prefer it if those who"...blah blah blah, you get my point.

You are creating a false dilemma, here, and pretending that there are only these two options: Keep things as they are, which opens up the system to easy attempts at voter fraud, or try to eliminate that possibility only at the end result of disenfranchising one political party.

Either one can admit that they believe those who oppose their own political beliefs are themselves evil and need to be purged (insomuch as it is from voter rolls), and therefore a biased application of rules is acceptable to them, or on the flip side they just don't care so long as they win.

Repeating the false dilemma that you created does not make it logical nor correct.

ETA:

originally posted by: Wayfarer
I've not heard anyone say Voter Fraud doesn't exist, but rather that its such a small % as to be inconsequential.

Then we're listening to different people on the left--you may not have heard it, but I have.

How many actual legal voters should be dis-enfranchised from voting to stop 1 illegal voter? 1, 10, 100, 10,000? Does it make any difference to you if its 10k Democrat votes that are removed from the rolls in error vs 10k Republican votes?

Well, show me stats on how many people couldn't vote solely based on systemic failure of correcting voter rolls--not because they procrastinated, or didn't plan for transportation, or whatever, but only based on the failure of a voter-roll purge.

Any true disenfranchisement is terrible, as is any voter fraud. But the difference is that if you are mistakenly purged from voter rolls, you have recourse to fix that prior to voting, and if not, vote anyhow with a provisional ballot; if you commit voter fraud, no one will know unless you somehow get caught.

I prefer to focus on keeping the system honest and without fraud as much as possible and still provide provisional ballots for those small numbers of people who might be affected in Ohio within those six years of elections and being reminded about voting before you're purged from the voter rolls.

Maybe I'm just nutty that way. I'd happily jump through a couple hoops if necessary to vote than keep reading about these voter-fraud convictions.

Keep in mind, this is coming from a guy who has lived in three different counties in the past 7 years, so I fully understand the need to ensure that I'm registered to vote during each election--it's an inconsequential issue because I see voting as an important activity.
edit on 11-6-2018 by SlapMonkey because: added response to your reply to my other comment

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

originally posted by: howtonhawky

Your opinion

is today idiot day?

there are many differences in the voting laws state by state

that is not opinion

you are just being divisive in every response

Ok , name one. In reference to the OP. Got to be on subject.
And , of course , the ignorant Liberal name calling instead of any substance. Predictable.
Folks need to learn to show their IQ level and not their shoe size.

name one what?

many laws have been referenced in this thread

go jack with someone else #sand

if you have a point make it

so far you are trying 3 times to make a point yet you have failed

just not your day my friend

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 03:18 PM
link   
IMO - - it is each individual's responsibility to register to vote (if they want to) and to keep it current. I have no problem with purging polls of voters that have not voted in recent past elections.

However, I am against laws/rulings that make it difficult for any individual to register.

I think it should be legal for official representatives to go to individual homes to register a voter at their home.

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 03:29 PM
link   
As SlapMonkey mentioned, in Kentucky we have provisional ballots. It's not a big deal. If your name isn't on the voter book at the precinct, we call the local clerk's office to see if they are on the rolls there, possibly registered in another precinct. If they are listed as "inactive" they simply sign an Oath of Voter and complete a provisional ballot. It is more work for the poll workers but the person gets to cast their ballot.

As a long-term poll worker I can tell you that we don't try to keep people from voting. We find ways to help them get their wish to exercise their right to do so. Sometimes (a very small percentage in my experience) the clerk's office has made a mistake but the vast majority of the time, it is the voter's fault because they have moved or changed their name or simply haven't cared enough to cast a ballot in several years.

Like another poster here commented, I've found clear evidence of fraud in at least two of our local elections back in the early '90s. My aunt voted for almost ten years after she died. Every single person working at her precinct knew her well and knew she was dead but allowed "someone" to cast a ballot in her name. When questioned by her son how on earth this could have happened, none of them had an answer. I lost a lot of respect for people I had known all my life and had believed were honest people.

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Oops doubled up.
edit on 11-6-2018 by diggindirt because: double post

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

However, I am against laws/rulings that make it difficult for any individual to register.

do you mean laws like making me have vehicle insurance and such?

buying that crap makes it hard for me to vote

oh and seat belts they make it irritating on the way

drivers license...that cost money folks

official representatives to go to individual homes to register a voter at their home.

while they are there i bet we could get some valuable info from the trip.
just make a rule where the representative has to have cameras on at all times for their protection and let the entrapment begin

edit on 11-6-2018 by howtonhawky because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Maybe we could make this law in all 50 states.... anybody have a problem with that?

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: tinner07
Maybe we could make this law in all 50 states.... anybody have a problem with that?

lol

of coarse

what works for one state does not work for another

on it's face 2 yrs. seems very short period since many terms are 4 yrs

that is just one point of likely many

with the scotus ruling it looks like states are now free to purge as they see fit

so likely no new law is needed for you to get benefits of this

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
IMO - - it is each individual's responsibility to register to vote (if they want to) and to keep it current. I have no problem with purging polls of voters that have not voted in recent past elections.

I think it should be legal for official representatives to go to individual homes to register a voter at their home.

Huh, I actually agree with your second point. I don't see the 30 day's prior law being warranted. In this era same day voter registration with the proper proof of identification shouldn't be a major issue at the polls.

I do not think door to door registration should be allowed. There should be the ability for a homeowner or resident to call the board of elections to send someone to their house, upon their request, to register them. Otherwise, no. Way too easy to end up with some manner of ACORN nonsense happening again.

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Ha! Believe me, the dead will still be voting for Democrats. Remember their motto, vote early and vote often!

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 04:41 PM
link   
You have a rich posting history. SO if you aren't on the right, you just accidentally happen to line up on just about every one of their talking points. So, call yourself whatever you want, but (digital) paper trails speaks for you. And you are supporting another one here and now, for example.

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

Wasn't a pollster convicted in Virginia for registering dead people. Somebody recognized a dead relatives name on the role and blew the whistle.

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: Annee

Huh, I actually agree with your second point. I don't see the 30 day's prior law being warranted. In this era same day voter registration with the proper proof of identification shouldn't be a major issue at the polls.

I do not think door to door registration should be allowed. There should be the ability for a homeowner or resident to call the board of elections to send someone to their house, upon their request, to register them. Otherwise, no. Way too easy to end up with some manner of ACORN nonsense happening again.

I've had discussions (in real life, not ATS) about Voting Buses/Vans.

Actual mobile voting precincts. That can go to designated areas (or homes). Both register voters and have actual voting boxes/booths.

Do you honestly believe calling a Voter Registry service, to come to your home, is going to get realistic results in a timely manner?

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 07:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: buddah6
a reply to: TonyS

Wasn't a pollster convicted in Virginia for registering dead people. Somebody recognized a dead relatives name on the role and blew the whistle.

FACT & MYTH

Are dead people voting?

www.factandmyth.com...

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: howtonhawky

drivers license...that cost money folks

Do you have a right to drive?

I think purging voter rolls is a good practice. I think 2 years is too short.

edit on 6/11/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 07:45 PM
link   
When in doubt? Go down and register to vote! A very simple solution, to a nonexistent problem. Unless one is not legally entitled to vote? Then I can see how this could be a problem.
Goes back to that old saying, "freedom isn't free". Believe it or not? One way or another, you'll actually have to work, (put some effort) into it. The S.C.O.T.U.S. did a good job with this one. A "Democracy" can't have "inactive", dead people, voting all the time. (Which is the deeper/real issue here).

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: murphy22

A lot of dead people vote, do they?

I think an actual issue might be people who no longer reside in their registered district.

edit on 6/11/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

]A lot of dead people vote, do they?

Only for democrats.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join