It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme Court upholds Ohio voter registration purge policy

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Under Ohio's policy, if registered voters miss voting for two years, they are sent registration confirmation notices. If they do not respond and do not vote over the following four years, they are removed from the rolls.

www.aol.com...

I think the left will use this much to show how the right is suppressing the vote. Seems like the scotus is very busy agreeing with the right these days on many matters.

I think it is no big deal to remove people from a list that they are inactive on.

This was a straight up liberal and conservative vote with no deviations from party affiliations.

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 11:54 AM
link   
And how difficult is it to get back on the rolls? Here you just need to show up to vote with ID and a piece of mail showing your address as well.

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Eh, doesn't matter.

Once you register to vote, you cement yourself as a 14th Amendment citizen of the US.

Sort of like a federal employee.

Enjoy.

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I feel like I need a little background on why this was ever being questioned in the first place...?

If you don't vote for 2 years, you don't care that much. If you don't vote for two years, then ignore the reminder to update your registration for four MORE years, you clearly either don't care at all, or you've died.

what argument could anyone make against that?

Even if you ARE removed from the rolls, what does it take to get back on them?

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

thats all there is too it

it has more to do with polling and such like the electoral collage counting and tax districts

kinda like how they just reorganized some districts in Pennsylvania in order to get more dems in office

+5 more 
posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 11:57 AM
link   
This will make it much harder for all the dead people to vote for Democrats. No wonder it was challenged. I never miss a vote anywa so won’t affect people like me.

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac
If you don't vote for 2 years, you don't care that much.

I know you must be joking. The bulk of the population only votes in the Presidential elections. I'm going to guess they still care. And it's not up to someone else to make that call.

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

Even if you ARE removed from the rolls, what does it take to get back on them?

as far as i know you just gotta vote

at most you fill out a card at the voting place with just basic info on it

this is really just a good way to clear out all the community organizing that was done in the past

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 12:04 PM
link   

I can't speak to Ohio specifically but it differs from state to state. If you're removed from the rolls, you have to re-register to vote. What you're talking about is same day registration, something that Republicans legislators tend to oppose wherever possible.

ETA:

I Googled it, Ohio has a 30-day registration requirement. So no same day registration.
edit on 2018-6-11 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 12:08 PM
link   
You get letters to respond or vote every 2 years. not too difficult unless your deceased maybe??

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: howtonhawky

No. What they're purging is voter registrations. The "rolls" are the lists of registered voters. Ohio does not have same day voter registration. You have to register 30 days before the election. So if you don't realize that you have been removed from the rolls (deregistered) and you go to vote, no vote for you.

this is really just a good way to clear out all the community organizing that was done in the past

So you do get that this is really just about doing something that Republicans feel will benefit them?

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: okrian

originally posted by: lordcomac
If you don't vote for 2 years, you don't care that much.

I know you must be joking. The bulk of the population only votes in the Presidential elections. I'm going to guess they still care. And it's not up to someone else to make that call.

And that is why the majority of the population is stupid.

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

I can't speak to Ohio specifically but it differs from state to state. If you're removed from the rolls, you have to re-register to vote. What you're talking about is same day registration, something that Republicans legislators tend to oppose wherever possible.

Yea looking from state to state there is really no standard

ex. Louisiana will only remove you from the roles if you ask in writing

also just read where some states were searchin database for deceased names with no way to verify if person is alive and has same name

these people are very tricky when it comes to voting

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

One of many reasons to be fair.

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

No. What they're purging is voter registrations. The "rolls" are the lists of registered voters. Ohio does not have same day voter registration. You have to register 30 days before the election. So if you don't realize that you have been removed from the rolls (deregistered) and you go to vote, no vote for you.

So you do get that this is really just about doing something that Republicans feel will benefit them?

yea i was falsly applying my tx experience to ohio

i get that this was a party line vote and neither side were voting against themselves

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: EternalShadow
a reply to: Allaroundyou

One of many reasons to be fair.

Yes you are very correct.

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
And how difficult is it to get back on the rolls? Here you just need to show up to vote with ID and a piece of mail showing your address as well.

A government-issued photo ID should be the requirement in every state for voting, or for receiving government benefits. It's easy to get one.

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 12:24 PM
link   
All I know as I have posted before, my Mother voted in the 2012 election, she died in 2010. I am 100% sure that a vote was cast in her name. I'm 99% sure what Party she voted for.

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Actually it sounds perfectly reasonable. They notify them after two years and then give them another four years to set the record straight.
A lot of folks only vote in the presidential elections. This accounts for all of those folks.

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

Registering to vote or renewing a registration is a very easy process.

new topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join