It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evidence for and against the Bible

page: 11
<< 8  9  10   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Amuk

Cornelius Tacitus (1st century historian)
“…Hence to suppress the rumor, he falsely charged with the guilt, and punished with the most exquisite tortures, the persons commonly called Christians, who were hated for their enormities. Christus, the founder of the name, was put to death by Pontious Pilate, procurator of Judea in the reign of Tiberius: but the pernicious superstition, repressed for a time broke out again, not only through Judea, where the mischief originated, but through the city of Rome also.”

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
In response to the debate on the flood and how much water is needed to cover the earth. A few things I would like to point out:

1. It is likely early civilizations lived and developed close to water bodies, therefore, the possibility of flooding is greater. (science.howstuffworks.com...)
2. It's possible, though not proven, that it was a flood in the THEN known populated world, making it local. (I hope I don't get stoned by anybody)
3. The earth when it was created was supposed to be perfect, so there was no overheating, or freezing, thus, with the excess waves, etc, the earth's season's came into being. (somebody said something about the gravity being altered, and thus the position of the earth being changed with respect to the sun and moon)
4. 71% of the earth is water (Wikipedia is not the most reliable, but the easiest to find. wiki.answers.com...) so there's more than twice the amount of land.
5. Imagine a really huge Tsunami?
6. I think Science and the Bible have to go hand in hand, so I will venture to say that the flood contributed to the 'continental drift' which moves with the currents of water, and what stronger currents are there than during a flood? and what better way for coastal erosion to take place? (www.seafriends.org.nz...)
7. One last point. the earth and the moon are attracted to each other. More than anything else, the water on the earth to the moon, especially during new moon and full moon, the flood could have occurred during this time, as the tides are higher during new and full moon.

But, sadly, these are not proofs that it did happen, only that it COULD happen. there is inconclusive evidence that can be interpreted however you choose. (www.ac18.org...)

So the only point of this discussion is to prove whether the Bible account could have maybe happened with the optimum conditions or with the presence of an all-powerful God. I choose the latter because it has made my life better.

The upside is that it made me read my Bible and research the internet.

oh, and just an opinion, I don't think the form of matter is eternal, but our immortal soul / spirit is indestructible in a perfect world. Things didn't die before sin, (in the garden of Eden) but obviously Adam & Eve knew how to eat fruit, thus, even in a perfect world, matter does change form.

Thank you all for your time in reading this! I hope it gave you all something to think about.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 11:40 PM
link   
So who created God. Everything must have been created. Nothing could ever just spontaniousely come to exist it all has to have a creator, right? Tell me how God came into existence who created him? And then after that tell me how evolution does not dis-proove the bible. Or perhaps you should do some research on where the fiction originated from.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 11:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Muleface1
So who created God. Everything must have been created. Nothing could ever just spontaniousely come to exist it all has to have a creator, right? Tell me how God came into existence who created him? And then after that tell me how evolution does not dis-proove the bible. Or perhaps you should do some research on where the fiction originated from.
Crazy how many humans actually devote their lives to the bible its as rediculouse as devotion to the tooth fairy but this age is coming to an end soon enough.

top topics

<< 8  9  10   >>

join