It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Illinois Counties Declare Themselves ‘Gun Sanctuaries'; Oregon Voters Could be Next

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+17 more 
posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 02:32 PM
link   
There is a new movement beginning. In states wanting to pass oppressive and potentially unconstitutional gun control measures, counties are looking to begin passing "gun sanctuary" measures patterned off the popular sanctuary city movement.

Campbell, a member of the Effingham County Board in rural Illinois, wasn’t happy to learn the state’s General Assembly was working on gun-control legislation that he considered to be unconstitutional. Campbell decided to do what county board members do best.

He wrote a resolution.

The Effingham board adopted his resolution April 16. It declared Effingham County to be a gun “sanctuary” where county employees — like sheriff’s deputies — were prohibited from enforcing gun laws deemed unconstitutional.

[snipped]

This is another manifestation of the urban/rural, red/blue divide. Effingham is tired of being told how to live by urban areas. And Effingham is not alone. A dozen other counties have followed suit already with 50 more having asked for copies of the resolution.

The Bloomington Pantagraph reported last month that more than a dozen areas in Illinois, including Effingham County, had approved “gun sanctuary” laws. “I am so proud of these counties that have stepped forward, that I am about ready to explode,” Campbell told Cam & Co. on NRATV.

Campbell said gun-rights groups and politicians in 50 Illinois counties had asked for copies of his resolution.

[snipped]

According to a law professor in Illinois, this is very much in response to the feeling that Cook County is trying to solve Chicago's problems over the backs of the law abiding in rural areas.

Illinois state Rep. Kathleen Willis (D), who sponsored HB 2354, the so-called “red-flag bill” that allows for the confiscation of guns, doesn’t like the gun sanctuary movement’s attitude.

“I don’t think you can say, ‘I don’t agree with the law so I won’t enforce it,'” Willis told AP. “I think it sends the wrong message.”

One wonders how she feels about sanctuary cities in general which are defying federal law? Hmmm ...

Campbell said in addition to requests from like-minded people in 50 Illinois counties, he’s received requests for copies of his proposal from gun-rights believers in 10 states.

Oregon is on that list.
[snipped]

And this is spreading ... 10 states including Oregon where four counties already have similar measures in place.
edit on Sun Jun 10 2018 by DontTreadOnMe because: SOURCE IS NEEDED IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

edit on Sun Jun 10 2018 by DontTreadOnMe because: snipped part of quote....please check your PMs

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 02:43 PM
link   
In the UP, between eight and ten percent of the people over eighteen have a concealed weapon permit. I would bet seventy percent of households has a gun here. If Michigan tried to do something to stop gun ownership, it would give the UP the shove it needed to pass breaking off of Lower Michigan, only about thirty percent now feel we should start our own state, so Our Michigan government better think twice about banning guns. A vote to leave would pass quickly if they did.

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Good on them, fight fire with fire.

The hypocrisy of sanctuary cities not allowing a constitutionally protected right vs. a clear violation of federal immigration law is astonishing.

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I'm all for this movement!

But, Effingham? Really? That's an actual name of a place people live? Wowzers...

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Damn shame that those who lawfully own weapons according to the Constitution have to resort to the tactics of those who support open borders and taking care of illegals over their own citizenry. But what the hell right? Nothing like using their tactics against them?

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: seaswine
I'm all for this movement!

But, Effingham? Really? That's an actual name of a place people live? Wowzers...

A beautiful county, sir. I admit I did snort the first time I saw the name, though. It passes....

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

Damn shame that those who lawfully own weapons according to the Constitution have to resort to the tactics of those who support open borders and taking care of illegals over their own citizenry. But what the hell right? Nothing like using their tactics against them?

Read an article recently that pointed out that legal gun owners are 50% less likely to commit ANY crime than those who do not own one.

Just seems to make sense then to have more gun owners... statistically it lowers the crime rate.

Good for these counties... and S&F for the thread.

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 03:46 PM
link   
"Shall not be infringed"

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see this kind of thing take off and spread like wildfire. As it should.

Go ahead progressives. Keep pushing us on this. Please!

Damn, I love this country.

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

originally posted by: seeker1963

Read an article recently that pointed out that legal gun owners are 50% less likely to commit ANY crime than those who do not own one.

Just seems to make sense then to have more gun owners... statistically it lowers the crime rate.

Good for these counties... and S&F for the thread.

I was brought up to respect firearms from a very young age. My father hunted and he taught me how to along with respect, and responsibility for picking up a weapon.

To be honest? The only time I thought wrecklessly about using a firearm was when a shrink put me on SSRI's. True story! Although not a Christian or religious man anymore, I honestly have to say a higher power prevented me from acting on my thoughts while on those drugs.

Damn shame our government doesn't want to listen to stories like mine....and yea, I have proof from a letter I wrote my Congressman about it!

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Oh, and thanks for posting this, Ketsuko. S+F. We need to stay as far out in front of this fight as we can.

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Good for them. If I was ask to point to one thing that I think America has gotten right it would be the right to self preservation. The ability to put their lives before an attackers make sense and should be a right across the entire world. In the UK you can't even use pepper spray on an attacker because you might harm the attacker (look it up) hell I asked a local police station if there was anything I could give my elderly mother to protect her when I'm not at home (shes 59 and disabled, slow to move, cannot walk far and would not be able to put up a fight if attacked) and the cop said "Yes. A phone. If someone comes in hide lock the door and call us" I said "But if someone breaks in she wouldn't be fast enough to do it" and he said "Then you be at home" and that was that lol. Although let's just say she now has something to protect herself (even though it isn't exactly legal...or at all lol).

America might have a good few who are idiots with their weapons but on the whole the right to protect themselves by any means is one of their best things.

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 04:01 PM
link   
they are bringing the fight closer to home

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 04:10 PM
link   
This is good. There are many rural areas where guns are absolutely needed. I think it is good to ignore state laws that undermine the Constitutional rights of American citizens. Unlike ignoring immigration laws, this puts Constitutional law above Progressive politics.

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 04:18 PM
link   
One is to protect Legal activity, the other to protect Illegal activity. We should never need sidesteps to safeguard our Rights.

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 04:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
In the UP, between eight and ten percent of the people over eighteen have a concealed weapon permit. I would bet seventy percent of households has a gun here. If Michigan tried to do something to stop gun ownership, it would give the UP the shove it needed to pass breaking off of Lower Michigan, only about thirty percent now feel we should start our own state, so Our Michigan government better think twice about banning guns. A vote to leave would pass quickly if they did.

That and the Motor City Madman would be governor. Never knew just how sparsely populated (~300k) the UP was until reading this: UP Babies Are Latest Opioid Addicts

No idea if the UP could manage as the least populous state, but if this (gun control) is the straw that breaks succession’s proverbial back, good on the UP — beautiful area of the US

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 04:44 PM
link   

PFFFT they should just take all the guns everywhere......Just not mine

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Makes sense. Our state is a unique blend of liberal blue collar people. I know a whole lot of people who are both pro-immigration and pro-2nd.

Considering our terrorism consists mostly of white nationalists using cars and knives, it makes sense that you'll find people like that here.

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

Except maybe the big BLUelite cities that produce 1000's of murders a year.

terrorists !

hands up dont shoot!🤷🔫

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

HAHAHA that site is very interesting. It has a shot in the ass o meter LOL

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 06:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
a reply to: Abysha

Except maybe the big BLUelite cities that produce 1000's of murders a year.

terrorists !

hands up dont shoot!🤷🔫

What did my post have to do with Chicago?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join