It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No Two-Way Communications Allowed During National Emergencies Except by Established Groups

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 07:07 AM
link   
I just received an email from an amateur radio operator inviting me to participate in civilian emergency two-way radio groups. In his email he stated the following.

. . . Michigan Auxiliary Communications Group. This group includes CB, CAP, SATERN, MARS, Michigan Defense, Michigan State Police, all counties Sheriff departments, all Michigan hospitals, just to name a few . . . This group is under the direction of Home Land Defense and the Michigan State Police. Under a federal radio silence ruling, these will be the only radios allowed on the air.

I've never heard of any ruling that enforces an emergency all frequency radio silence law, esp. with regards to unlicensed radio frequencies (MURS, FRS, and CB). If such a law exists, likely this would include the WiFi frequencies as well.

I did a Google search using different combinations of keywords, but could find no reference to such a ruling. I didn't try too hard to find it by using different search engines and the like, but you'd think a law described as such would come up fairly quickly. It wouldn't surprise me to know that such a ruling exists buried in the laws concerning Homeland Security or the NSA, they can pretty much do what they wish with you and your possessions when there is a national emergency or if martial law is declared.

If true, then personal communications by two-way radios during such a radio blackout would be risky and highly limited regardless of the frequency used. I could imagine you could get away with extremely low powered transmissions with highly directional antennas. Other stealth methods could be used of course.

Does anyone here participate in one of the emergency civilian two-way radio networks and have heard of this ruling? Are there any links to documents that can verify that such a law exists? What are your thoughts on joining such a group as an insider to glean any useful information or active intelligence?

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 07:13 AM
link   
I wonder if this has something to do with the shadow government if Trump moves to take them down?
Many of the black haps wives are known to have received ham radio licenses.

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 07:20 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

That sounds like something to look in to. Thanks Butcher Guy.

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 07:26 AM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

Depending on the circumstances, it could be very hard to enforce anyway. They'd need the resources to triangulate the source of the illegal broadcasts and the manpower to do something about it.

I guess controlling the airwaves is part of controlling the situation. They'd have a captive audience to ensure populations are orderly. It'd restrict the inevitable likelihood of crazy idiots and paranoid conspiracists from sending out hysterical false reports too. Never underestimate the number of people who will actively exploit things or overreact on limited information.

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 07:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

I've given thought to what you post here. However, there are a lot of cell towers everywhere, it seems it would be fairly easy to use them to triangulate on any signal using the available antenna array.

Of course finding verifiable intelligence on the two-way frequencies would be problematic due to civilian panic. Not to mention any false information that may be broadcast by the government.
edit on 10-6-2018 by MichiganSwampBuck because: typo

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 07:41 AM
link   
I would think that the civilian network groups would be used to monitor and regulate their assigned frequencies allowing the feds to do the more important communications. There would probably a lot of people who would think they are mighty important in such a role on the unlicensed frequencies. There are enough bullies on the CB that think they are channel control already.

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 07:42 AM
link   
fas.org...

obamawhitehouse.archives.gov...

www.rt.com...

Executive orders controlling ALL means of communication in the event of a declared disaster. Kennedy, Carter, and Obama all signed such executive orders. Hmmm. All Democrats. Coincidence?

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 07:46 AM
link   

You'll know way more about it than me and I'll defer to your subject knowledge.

I've just had the horrible image of Alex Jones broadcasting in a SHTF situation. He's exactly the type of person that justifies a blanket silence. "It's a gun grab! Aliens! Muslims are coming! It's the Rapture! FEMA death camps! Buy my patented muscle-building shakes and invisibility cloaks! Only $399!"

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 07:53 AM
link   
a reply to: whitewave

Wow! There it is.

In explaining the order, the Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC) writes that the president has authorized the DHS "the authority to seize private facilities when necessary, effectively shutting down or limiting civilian communications."

Obama gives himself control of all communication systems in America

Thanks White Wave, that's exactly the ruling I believe my email was referencing.

I guess there is no other choice if you want to use two-ways during a SHTF scenario. You will have to use stealth communications techniques. Also, you can forget worrying about what frequencies you use as none of them will be legal at that point.
edit on 10-6-2018 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Added extra comments

edit on 10-6-2018 by MichiganSwampBuck because: typo

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Question:

Would this apply to localized walkie talkies?

A means of identifying and locating possible prepper, malitia type strongholds communicating between just their people within a camp?

Asking because, imo, bummer was always and all out against any type of prepper, self reliance type of mindset.

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Jusvistn

I'd have to say that all two-way communications will be restricted once the DHS steps in. Even those FRS walkie-talkies that have at best a one mile range. Likely smoke signals will be shut down too.

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Thanks for the reply.

Time to dust off my can & string maybe?

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Given this information, perhaps joining up with a civilian emergency two-way network would be the best option. Apparently they are lacking anyone to monitor the citizens band and other unlicensed frequencies. No one in our entire state has stepped up it seems. It could be about the only way to get inside information and be in control of what intelligence information gets passed on to the feds.

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 08:34 AM
link   

That wouldn't really matter anyways.

The amount of antennas I see for short wave radio as I drive around is few and far between.

Unless people are hiding their antennas in the garage.

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Good to know, I was looking at getting licensed when I got back in the states this fall, in part to use in the event of an emergency. (natural or otherwise)

It is mildly concerning but in the event of a SHTF scenario I would make sure my people keep to really short communications to try and make it harder to triangulate.

Plus unless they are activly searching for you, the odds of the capabilities being pointed at you should be pretty small.

a reply to: grey580

Cant speak for anyone else but I dont plan to make mine super obvious, mainly because it says here be expensive electronics, and in a shtf situation it means here be people with stuff.

edit on 10-6-2018 by Irishhaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: grey580

Some of us conceal our antennas in tall trees in our yard.

Triangulating a source for radio communication isn't that difficult. Our radio group engages in "foxhunts" and we don't even have the manpower or technological resources that are available to our overlords so I doubt it would be difficult for them.
In a time of national disaster, communication would be the FIRST thing I'd want to control (if I were in charge of such things). Reducing mass panic and propaganda/disinformation, disseminating useful information, etc. would all be paramount in dealing with the disaster. Of course, amateur hams could be useful in such a scenario and have been so and continue to be so during times of natural disasters (ie: hurricanes, tornadoes). Whether they'd be allowed to use their skills in times of national or global upheaval is another matter. I would imagine that unless you're being a major PITA obstructionist that TPTB would probably have bigger fish to fry than rounding up amateur hams.

And you're welcome, MichiganSwampBuck.

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 09:19 AM
link   
This could include wireless internet and cell phone. It is different than landline and your own router. I think it would be meant to block people starting civil unrest from communicating with each other out in the public. They already did this in some big city during some protests effectively interfering with the people expanding the chaos. They did pass some laws making it legal to block the cell phone and wireless services.

You guys all probably remember that test that set precedence to pass further regulations under the Homeland security jurisdiction, that happened under Obama and was effective. Now short wave radios are not that portable, they need a big antenna so they won't be out in public during civil unrest incidents.

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 10:07 AM
link   

You must have huge tree.

Our antennas could be seen a few blocks away. lol

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: grey580

That wouldn't really matter anyways.

The amount of antennas I see for short wave radio as I drive around is few and far between.

Unless people are hiding their antennas in the garage.

I keep an eye out for base and mobile antennas. I'd say on average in my rural area there are base systems every 10 miles or so, mostly CB. I often see at least two mobile CB antennas on trucks, esp jeeps, every trip I make locally. Monitoring the CB, VHF and UHF frequencies, I hear little chatter on the Ham repeaters, actually much more on CB. The local fire, EMS , county and local police still use VHF frequencies unscrambled. Then there are local businesses, like utilities and the parks that still use two-way communications.

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 10:20 AM
link   

I would suspect that triangulating on a signal would be fairly easy for amateurs as well as the professionals, hence the need for stealth communications techniques. Seems like I should join a group to keep an eye on things, even though I believe that the airwaves should remain free for average citizen use, without any registration or regulation. The unlicensed frequencies would be OK for personal local communications, so no real need to use regulated ones IMO.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join