It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Men's Skin Care

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 08:07 PM
link   
If you see me in person you'll probably think I'm a tough guy. I work 11 or 12 hours a day in a dairy and I'm a metal detectorist on the weekends too. But I have a problem. I have a very delicate and dry skin. Easy to scratch, sensible to many things and also catch infection sometimes. I try to shave my face no more than once a week, otherwise I'll get red cheeks like those baby angels in old paints.

I found that a great part of the problem is related to the soap. Dove soap is gentle but doesn't look like a good protection against bacteria or infections. Antibacterial soaps makes my skin dry and itchy.

Recently I discovered Tea tree oil soap, all natural. I felt the difference since the first bath. I don't wake up in the middle of the night with an itchy back anymore. Additionally, I'm taking vitamin D.

So I'd like to hear what you guys do to take care of your skin.

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 08:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman
If you see me in person you'll probably think I'm a tough guy. I work 11 or 12 hours a day in a dairy and I'm a metal detectorist on the weekends too. But I have a problem. I have a very delicate and dry skin. Easy to scratch, sensible to many things and also catch infection sometimes. I try to shave my face no more than once a week, otherwise I'll get red cheeks like those baby angels in old paints.

I found that a great part of the problem is related to the soap. Dove soap is gentle but doesn't look like a good protection against bacteria or infections. Antibacterial soaps makes my skin dry and itchy.

Recently I discovered Tea tree oil soap, all natural. I felt the difference since the first bath. I don't wake up in the middle of the night with an itchy back anymore. Additionally, I'm taking vitamin D.

I'm going to try it.

I like cocoa butter. The best I've found is Palmers. Keeps my skin soft and I go from ashy to classy.

I guess I can admit to being a metrosexual. I'm a guy, but like spa treatments. I get facials every now and then. I also get pedicures every month. I like being well groomed.

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I use Dial. I wish everyone did.

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I use dish soap.

It’s cheap and real men don’t do skin care anyway.

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

I try to be proactive, moisturise when the weather becomes a bit extreme. Dry skin affects me too a bit especially towards winter.

I guess proper drying and powdering after showers helps too. I'm kind of your typical male though.I don't go much further than maintenance.

All sorts can affect your skin though, changes in temperature or being outside a lot. Dampness... All sorts. Even clothes can affect your skin. You're doing something that works though, keep at it and take time.

I had severe sunstroke once, too much sun can wipe me out for weeks, our skin from what I gather works on long cycles. I can get heat blisters 3-4 weeks after exposure. Small changes over time seems the best policy.

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 08:36 PM
link   

My skin doesn't really like many topical products. I haven't found them to be useful. I eat lots of radishes and sometimes I'll get a clean shave; I get as much sunlight as I can without burning, and I drink lots of fluids.

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 08:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
I use dish soap.

Men do not use skin care products unless you herpies or rashes. Period, sorry to tell you the truth, but you come across as little wimp who needs to put lipstick on in hot summer day

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 08:48 PM
link   

I use dish soap.

I hear that's good for your cuticles, too!

originally posted by: Edumakated

I like cocoa butter. The best I've found is Palmers. Keeps my skin soft and I go from ashy to classy.

SO good for your nipples!
edit on 6/9/2018 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 08:54 PM
link   
To thicken skin, it requires collagen and the elastin binding protein. You won't get that from veggies. You can get it from eating stuff like Jello or eating foods high in collagen. There are suplements that might help. Also consuming adequate oils, especially if you are using soaps and chemicals that remove oil from the skin, helps. The thin skin can be hereditary, but that usually means you are slow at building the collagen, I think skin is type three collagen. If you do not have enough collagen and elastin in your body, it can begin to thin. Boosting collagen in the diet is slow acting, it takes many months of supplementation to get any thickness. The kind of collagen in jello is mostly skin type. It also helps with nail growth, the Knox geletin has been used by women for many decades for skin and nails.
edit on 9-6-2018 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 09:02 PM
link   

I do not use any shampoo or conditioner on my hair. For my body I use dial bar soap non scented. One or two times a week I take a bath and soak in charcoal for about an hour. After each wash I use Nivea face lotion but only a very small amount. The charcoal activated bath really helps to remove toxins from my skin and also makes it really soft. Give it a try sometime. I have this little stool i set up next to the bath and I find a documentary to watch while I soak.

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 09:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic

I use dish soap.

Men do not use skin care products unless you herpies or rashes. Period, sorry to tell you the truth, but you come across as little wimp who needs to put lipstick on in hot summer day

Hey man not cool. I am no wimp and I love my baths. I use face lotion because this Nevada sun drys it out really fast. When it gets dry and I shave I get red in the face just like the OP does.

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Tea Tree Oil is the bomb!

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 09:28 PM
link   

I use dish soap.

Ive never been allergic to anything. Went 15 years without getting the flu even.

Then this winter developed freak freakish case of dermatitis of the palms and bottom of feet. Like something from a zombie movie when it first started. Bubbling that spread, like little blisters like when you burn your finger, that spread faster and faster; and even faster if I tried to put ANYthing on it that good for skin, or not, even 5 minute shower, lotion, oil, ointment.

"Lock it off at the wrist" was the only joke I could muster for it. I was only even half joking.

It was like flesh was attacking all layers of skin as if the skin itself was an infection. Spread faster and faster as it got going, scabbing lightly at first with only one single new layer of skin remaining behind. And it all ended up being 'mildest' dish soap I could find on market back around the turn of this decade when they all switched to "concentrated" formulas.

Only corticosteroids (which have crazy side effects cant injest for longer than 90 days) had any effect. Freakishly effective like from science fiction movie. By now increasingly careful not to over-expose to anything. Having to wear differnt types of gloves for basically anything and everything. But the steroids worked (had to take two at once for even that to work, not what doctor prescribed even it was that aggressive)... a few days later the bubbling started up again right where it had finally 'stopped', and this time started spreading back the reverse direction too....

And the bottoms of my feet started to go too. You wouldnt believe how thick the area around your toes are.

By now the clinic doctors didnt know what to do threw me out of clinic desperate no new prescription, like I was some kind of dope fiend, to get me out of there.

This was it, I thought, theres something SERIOUSLY WRONG with my body now. Still only guessing what to even call the disorder. And Im about to lose the bottoms of my hands and feet at same time not be able to walk or cook or wipe ass where I live in middle of nowhere dont know anybody around here...

Well I did manage to scrounge enough money to go to dermatologist....

I'll do a thread, but long story short (I'll do a thread later, with photos), the mildest dish soap I know about, only one that the chemical smell rinses right off the dishes & hands (ever try smelling your dishes / hands while you wash & rinse???), it was effing Gain Dish Soap brought this bad ass mofo to his knees.

Had to figure that out myself even, gradually.

Now only wash hands with Dove Baby liquid. They have these lotion soap versions of dish soap now, and have some here now, still wont dare to not wear gloves even with them. Always hated gloves for doing anything even handling cactus and such, doing construction stuff, you name hands on stuff I do it all. Only this month almost seems completely out the woods. Had to wear different creams / ointments of steroids etc for different times per day, under nitrile gloves only nitrile, for several months. Finally got down to mainly just needing to be sure lotion the feet Real Good under socks as soon as get out of shower, dont let right hand dry out all day tinker with it a little with all the stuff accumulated... Now switched to mainly just couple quick applications "Aloe Vesta" (like premium true medical grade of petroleum jelly I know about, didnt do squat to help for longest time), couple quick applications of 'healing formula' lotions per day. Light application of hydrocortizone cream / ointment under those. Maybe I wont have to live like this again one day, but its been such a wicked experience I have doubts.

So go for it, tough guy, wash your hands / do little load of dishes about 20 times per day, with ordinary Gain Dish Soap, for two three years. Even rinse real good and smell make sure it all came off, every time every single time you do. I double dog dare you, tough guy!!!

edit on 9-6-2018 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 09:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: DictionaryOfExcuses

My skin doesn't really like many topical products. I haven't found them to be useful. I eat lots of radishes and sometimes I'll get a clean shave; I get as much sunlight as I can without burning, and I drink lots of fluids.

Radishes are a good tip and I like them a lot

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 09:41 PM
link   

I use dish soap.

Why not. Nothing wrong with that, ask any woman. They like a man who cares about his body and health.

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 09:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

I use dish soap.

Ive never been allergic to anything. Went 15 years without getting the flu even.

Then this winter developed freak freakish case of dermatitis of the palms and bottom of feet. Like something from a zombie movie when it first started. Bubbling that spread, like little blisters like when you burn your finger, that spread faster and faster; and even faster if I tried to put ANYthing on it that good for skin, or not, even 5 minute shower, lotion, oil, ointment.

"Lock it off at the wrist" was the only joke I could muster for it. I was only even half joking.

It was like flesh was attacking all layers of skin as if the skin itself was an infection. Spread faster and faster as it got going, scabbing lightly at first with only one single new layer of skin remaining behind. And it all ended up being 'mildest' dish soap I could find on market back around the turn of this decade when they all switched to "concentrated" formulas.

Only corticosteroids (which have crazy side effects cant injest for longer than 90 days) had any effect. Freakishly effective like from science fiction movie. By now increasingly careful not to over-expose to anything. Having to wear differnt types of gloves for basically anything and everything. But the steroids worked (had to take two at once for even that to work, not what doctor prescribed even it was that aggressive)... a few days later the bubbling started up again right where it had finally 'stopped', and this time started spreading back the reverse direction too....

And the bottoms of my feet started to go too. You wouldnt believe how thick the area around your toes are.

By now the clinic doctors didnt know what to do threw me out of clinic desperate no new prescription, like I was some kind of dope fiend, to get me out of there.

This was it, I thought, theres something SERIOUSLY WRONG with my body now. Still only guessing what to even call the disorder. And Im about to lose the bottoms of my hands and feet at same time not be able to walk or cook or wipe ass where I live in middle of nowhere dont know anybody around here...

Well I did manage to scrounge enough money to go to dermatologist....

I'll do a thread, but long story short (I'll do a thread later, with photos), the mildest dish soap I know about, only one that the chemical smell rinses right off the dishes & hands (ever try smelling your dishes / hands while you wash & rinse???), it was effing Gain Dish Soap brought this bad ass mofo to his knees.

Had to figure that out myself even, gradually.

Now only wash hands with Dove Baby liquid. They have these lotion soap versions of dish soap now, and have some here now, still wont dare to not wear gloves even with them. Always hated gloves for doing anything even handling cactus and such, doing construction stuff, you name hands on stuff I do it all. Only this month almost seems completely out the woods. Had to wear different creams / ointments of steroids etc for different times per day, under nitrile gloves only nitrile, for several months. Finally got down to mainly just needing to be sure lotion the feet Real Good under socks as soon as get out of shower, dont let right hand dry out all day tinker with it a little with all the stuff accumulated... Now switched to mainly just couple quick applications "Aloe Vesta" (like premium true medical grade of petroleum jelly I know about, didnt do squat to help for longest time), couple quick applications of 'healing formula' lotions per day. Light application of hydrocortizone cream / ointment under those. Maybe I wont have to live like this again one day, but its been such a wicked experience I have doubts.

So go for it, tough guy, wash your hands / do little load of dishes about 20 times per day, with ordinary Gain Dish Soap, for two three years. Even rinse real good and smell make sure it all came off, every time every single time you do. I double dog dare you, tough guy!!!

Sounds like you got a case of foot and mouth disease. It is common virus that children catch, but anyone can catch it. I got it one year and it caused blisters on my hands and feet. Kind of like how you describe. Felt like my hands and feet were on fire and continuous blistering for about a week or so. Skin kept peeling. I found cocoa butter, vaselline, and any kind of really think salve were the only things that worked.

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 09:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Not it. But wow! Those adult photos just looked at look like scary STD sick.

This started one tiny speck, looked like a spot of poison ivy at first, but could tell wasnt. Didnt mess with it like how if I get poison ivy. Never "burned". Would 'sort of itch' just as a new section was getting ready to go active. But didnt itch it. Results always the same. SO it'd start tiny epicenter that would spread outwards; first on right hand, then on left hand, then on right foot, then on left foot. Never washed feet with dish soap on my life. Didnt matter. It never managed to get real far onto the left foot.

edit on 9-6-2018 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 09:57 PM
link   

I use dish soap.

Why not. Nothing wrong with that, ask any woman. They like a man who cares about his body and health.

I feel ya man. Like I really FEEL you.
Do you feel me?

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 10:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou

I use dish soap.

Hey man not cool. I am no wimp and I love my baths. I use face lotion because this Nevada sun drys it out really fast. When it gets dry and I shave I get red in the face just like the OP does.

Look, I don't mean to insult you but you posted about skin care in a girlish way, men really dont use skin care lotions unless the doc tells them too.

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 10:17 PM
link   
>_>

well i'm a woman but i don't blow out my hair or wear makeup or get too fancy, and my skin is sensitive, so i feel like i can probably weigh in here.

i use Zum goat's milk soap. most of the varieties of it don't irritate my skin, but i stay away from anything with mint in it. overall i find them to be better on my skin than dove. they have a range of scents, and some of them could possibly be considered man-like.

i also use their lotions on my hands and body. they seem okay, still early days on that.

Zum

i use Neutrogena oil-free moisture with spf 35 on my face once a day. i should probably do it or something with SPF more often cos i get pink after 15 minutes of sun. Neutrogena's nice because the scent is pretty neutral, it's not too girly or floral.

definitely recommend moisturizing after your shower/bath -- that's the only time it's really super effective, because your skin is still moist and your pores are still open. moisturizing then really helps lock in the moisture to your skin and keep it from getting irritated.

you also want to make sure your shower isn't too hot. if i have a really good, hot shower then my arms and hands break out in eczema for weeks after. so try not to go too hot, and if you can stand a cool rinse right before you get out that's also helpful for your skin.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join