It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's more important, financial wealth or well being?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: DictionaryOfExcuses

One of the main reasons for marital problems is financial issues. Or lack of money.

No, money will not buy someone happiness.
But lack of money buys a lot of misery.

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia
a reply to: toysforadults

Money/wealth buys power not happiness......

People dont realise the satisfaction of a job, any job which has been done well.

Who needs more than two or three suits? you can only wear one at a time .....

A small car, or even a bike will get you to where you want to go, a 4x4 gas guzzler

is not a necessity.

No one needs a yacht, you can go on a cruise (if you work for it?)

Money will not let you live longer than healthy living?

Then when you die who ever gets your money that you killed yourself for will only

squander it.

Yes moderation is a key but we also have to accept that our world is controlled by a corporatocracy that has hoodwinked the populace into enslaving themselves into a life term of debt to buy a home. So we need work outside the box to escape that conundrum where possible. Not always simple to escape.

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Most important thing is to provide for your family and yourself by earning a honest wage. Put into society, and not be a burden on society if you are an abled body person.

Just remember four year old sons and/or daughters don’t care about how much overtime you work. They just want to be loved. And not second to an electronic device.
edit on 9-6-2018 by neutronflux because: Added and fixed

edit on 9-6-2018 by neutronflux because: Fixed more

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 08:08 PM
link   
People who say money can't buy happiness don't know where to shop...

Seriously, money can't buy happiness, but it can make life a helluva lot easier.

It is a balancing act. Too many people in America want to keep up with the Jones because they are weak mentally. Buying stuff they can't afford to impress people they don't even know or like.

I can admit I like the finer things in life. However, there is only so much material goods one needs. I value experiences more. Being able to travel, etc. Wife and I live fairly modest relative to our incomes because we don't want to be trapped on the hamster wheel.

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I am satisfied with meeting my needs and once in a while I do enjoy a want. I was BSed that I needed to show success for many years, I worked my tail off and I have recently discovered I made a mistake. I liked to work, to be symbiotic in a group with others. Working at home on a computer was not my desire, working alone was not fun for me.

Our society has gone astray, those brick and mortar businesses is what we need to supply financial security for our communities so we can all work to make a living and to actually help each other out so we do not need to do everything ourselves. We have to work symbiotically.

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

What I'm saying is that attitude makes the difference and that "poor" is (largely) a state of mind.

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 08:46 PM
link   
You have 300 breaths left...how much would you pay for 30,000 more?

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 08:49 PM
link   
We do need money, but if you can't think straight, then I think well being is a bit more important.

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 09:03 PM
link   

I can agree with the article, as right now, I'm working a rigid job 9-5 job that apparently doesn't care about my work/life balance. In their minds, they would rather see you work late than leave 15 minutes early to celebrate a birthday.

Before, money did buy me happiness - I had student loans to pay, so I aimed for the highest-paying jobs, and took the stress given with indifference. I still have a 401k plan in place, and am making the recommended contributions.

Now that the loans are off, I'd love to find a job where I can support the cause, right now, a job isn't just a money-making machine to me now: I want to find a forever job, and if I found one that involved my passions, I'd take a pay cut.

If it came down to a choice between being a wealthy scrooge, and having to work into retirement for a cause and have less stress, then I'll take option 2 in a heartbeat (spoiler alert: I know that I won't be working computers in 50 years, as all the whippersnappers and their fancy 3D languages will be beyond my comprehension; that's why I'm working on my career in instrument repair now).

-foss

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 09:23 PM
link   
ALL You 'need' to do is get down with 'want' and 'need'. You'll see that once one 'want' is achieved it is quickly replaced by another 'want'. Then You'll find out that You'll NEED to work more overtime to pay for all those 'wants'.

Lets just blame 'The Joneses' and ALL their cool gear, it went downhill quickly once they moved in.

Read the Tao Te Ching. It'll learn You that the more crap You have, the more time is wasted in keeping it clean, money out to insure it, keeping an eye on it.

Of course You just might be the first person to 'take it with You...'

Stay Hydrated...

P.S. For those still operating under a "Rule Book" This would be the part about a camel fitting through an eye of a needle before a rich man makes it to Heaven..." Of course this is PROVEN and Dave Rockefeller going through 7 human hearts putting off dying. "Thats rich"

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 09:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: RAY1990
a reply to: 4003fireglo

I can't agree with you, a clothes designer killed herself recently in New York, this lady was minted... Sold her business a few years ago for billions.

Yet she isn't with us anymore, money doesn't buy happiness or well-being, not necessarily.

Yes,

And look at Bourdain.

He was living a lot of peoples dream but then there is the "sorry honey, I need to be in mongolia to eat yak guts next week so I'll maybe be home at the end of the month"

A lot of people just don't know when and how to quit, IF that was the problem.

We just don't know what motivates people. Like suicide by cop or slower by addiction.

My BIL died from some hanta or retrovirus, not sure anymore, and his wife hung herself a few months later. Her brother shot himself the next year.

They were my ex's family.

My family had their own inner demons.

Walk away from it and trust in Jesus.

Reach out.

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 09:50 PM
link   
One makes the other more easily accessible.

Try going organic on food stamps.

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Moderation. It will help with both.

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 09:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: EternalShadow

Try goingorganic on food stamps.

Yeah like it actually matters.

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 09:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: burgerbuddy

originally posted by: EternalShadow

Try goingorganic on food stamps.

Yeah like it actually matters.

Touché

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Neither lead to either; aeither way.

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Id say being poor and alive beats rich and dead.

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 02:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Whoisjohngalt

confirmation bias

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: ClovenSky
a reply to: SaturnFX

So you are saying that we are just as screwed up as a human race as we were 100 years ago? That the only reason this feels different is because it is being reported on more and in greater detail?

So all of the stories of general dissatisfaction with life and personal discontentment is just in our heads? If pharmaceuticals were available back then, people would be abusing/hooked on them at the same percentage as we are today?

This is all an awareness issue? We are not worse off today compared to yesteryear?

In a word, yes.

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: glend

Love this and have seen it before; buried it would make any hobbit not want to not trim their hairy lil feet.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join