It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F-22

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 04:53 AM
link   
Why would they use DU in the airframe, when that would add much weight to the aircraft, which in turn would reduce the maximum payload, range, and speed of the aircraft? It doesnt make sense, so I doubt that it would be used.

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 05:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000

The F22 is not a cruise missile and since it's a Stealth Aircraft armour isn't needed or even wanted I'm thinking.

it has other uses other than armour - it use in cruise missiles is as a counter weight , as its dence , its less bulky than steel so a smaller mean area can be used for teh same effect (weight balancing)

enemy aircraft, an enemy SAM, or an Iraqi on camal-back with a rifle

it could be any - if your going to quote then at least quote so it makes sence; it was in reply to some stating that an F-15 had never been shot down. ever. by anything.

so it could have been an iraqi on a camel

hell of a shot really though

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin

Originally posted by sardion2000

The F22 is not a cruise missile and since it's a Stealth Aircraft armour isn't needed or even wanted I'm thinking.

it has other uses other than armour - it use in cruise missiles is as a counter weight , as its dence , its less bulky than steel so a smaller mean area can be used for teh same effect (weight balancing)

enemy aircraft, an enemy SAM, or an Iraqi on camal-back with a rifle

it could be any - if your going to quote then at least quote so it makes sence; it was in reply to some stating that an F-15 had never been shot down. ever. by anything.

so it could have been an iraqi on a camel

hell of a shot really though

I still seriously doubt its use in the airframe for weight purposes. I did a search for depleted uranium, airframe, and F-22 and all that came up was DU munitions. Nothing about the airframe containing DU. I do believe it has been used in some commercial airliners though.

My claim that the F-15 was never shot down by anything was a misquote. It has a perfect Air-to-Air combat record. My bad. But its A2A record is pretty impressive I must say.

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin
DU is being used in crusie missiles in the airframe , so why wouldn`t it be used in the F-22??

its used as a counter weight to the heavy front end of the missile.

Cruise missiles are basically flying bombs. Many cruise missiles have penetrator warheads on them. The F-22 doesn't have a warhead, because it's not a bomb! Nice thinking, but the logic is still flawed.

Tim

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Not if you want a material for balancing an airframe then you would want the densest material available, DU fits the bill. Although I'd hope that with todays designs aircraft would be better ballanced to start with or that the FBW system negates the need to some extent.

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Why would they use a heavy dense material to balance the airframe when the best of todays fighters are naturally unstable and controlled by FBW? No designer would ever add unnecessary weight to an aircraft and balancing ballast in a modern fighter is the very epitome of 'unnecessary'.

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 11:58 AM
link   
DU has pretty darn close to 2.5 times the density of steel, and that's pretty darn heavy. It'd be a waste of weight that could be used to carry weapons.

I think F-22 is being made cuz it's a lot harder to track by radar. This means that it's gonna be a LOT harder to get a positive lock on an F-22 by anything, even ground-based and hand-held SAMs.

Something really interesting about it, though, is that the heat-foiling system on the F-22 is a lot alike to the B-2 bomber's (not the weird coverings on the engine exhaust area). That heat-foiling technology was created by Germany in WWII accidentally while designing a 'flying wing' design like the B-2. That means that heat-sensing missiles will also have a hard time following it.

The stealth technology required wasn't around when the F-16 and F-15 were made, so it's a new upgrade against all missiles out there. The other fighters are getting kinda old, so it'd be nice to know that we're up to date (for the U.S.) in air tech.

[edit on 15-12-2005 by Roaneris]

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Forevers End

well, like I said before...the commies have our secrets within shor order
and our country is teaming with them along with other 25 million illegals.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join