It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China Hacked a Navy Contractor and Stole 600GB of Data

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 09:31 PM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

How do you know it WASN'T? Or are you just going with "anyone the US blames is probably innocent".

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 09:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

No ... I am going on the basis that three letter agencies do this crap all the time.

So ... show me the proof it was China. There isn't any and as usual for these thefts there is no proof.

That is the very nature of digital theft.

The US is making the accusation ... it is up to them to prove it.

Show us the proof.

Was it the Chinese government ... Chinese business ... perhaps a Chinese contractor. Or was it simply a 14 year old Chinese boy having some fun.

Always blame the Chinese. Straight out of the CIA play book.

P

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Of course. Because everyone knows that China is pure as the driven snow and would never ever do anything like this, while the evil CIA is behind everything bad in the world.

Yes an alphabet agency can do this, but to claim that it wasn't China, because they said it was is making a hell of a leap.
edit on 6/9/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 09:14 AM
link   

What amazes me is how restrictive China is in allowing it populace access to a free internet, even banning children's phrases like winnie the pooh!! Yet people try and make out how innocent China is in all this. We all know that hacking by diffrent goverment agencies from diffrent countries happen, but china acts like it's innocent in all this?
edit on 10-6-2018 by Kurokage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Kurokage

Invading people's privacy doesnt always end well for the perps.

edit on 6102018 by CreationBro because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 01:43 PM
link   

I always have to laugh when people say that there is no proof that China has ever hacked our servers. Uhm....J31 anyone? I know I always say form follows function, but there's a point where it gets ridiculous.

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 04:28 PM
link   
China also has another way of accessing Western technology. In order for some larger vendors to get permission to sell products in China, they have to release a certain amount of their IP to the Chinese government.

Or, they may be required to build a certain amount of their product domestically. So the Chinese not only have access to the Intellectual Property concerning the product itself, but also the manufacturing techniques used to build the product.

In a few instances, products that originate in China have been shipped with malware already pre-installed on the product that causes the devices to leak information. But it's difficult, if not impossible, for the US government to hold up the importation of the product because it has garnered such significant market share that doing so would make a notable portion of that product's market unsupportable.

-dex

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Technically nothing was stolen because theft has a very specific definition in law.

It is the removal of goods or services with deliberate intent to retain said goods and services and deny the correct owners of the use and enjoyment of said goods and services.

What they did was copied the data, so nothing was removed. Therefore technically, there was no theft.

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 11:11 PM
link   

in another lifetime i worked with Veriz...i mean someone who will not be named and i had access to allot of there 'backbone' sites and i was SHOCKED to see the lack of security around the buildings.

however i did go into a building that was a data center that had some interesting clients from disney to more shadowy heavily locked doors with no name plates and that place had armed guards, seemed silly guarding data with guns.

these breaches of security are basically shameful, they said that all the data is unclassified but i don't think they would admit to something of greater importance being taken.

it is pretty easy to make a very secure computer system from no outside access to secure rooms that have cages around them to keep any emissions from coming or going.

these types of leaks make me wonder if they are honey pot traps......or so i hope.

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I imagine the astronomical debt plays a role in a sort of " you owe this to me" feel over there in the far east. Look, we got students in each other's universities, when collaboration occurs often some awesome inventions happen. We just gotta find a way to make all of these trade deals and transfer of technology fair. I'd say we need joint economic development, from agriculture to technology etc.

America has a crazy history with China, some people respect them for the flying tigers, other lambast them for some complicity with the rise of extreme Cultural Revolution, all in all we are a young nation that needs to remember the longer scope of time when dealing with other principalities. There is a respect for the beginning movements of our constitutional republic, however, not to much love for the hasty and foolhardy imperialism that greed can lend a habit to. It will be interesting to legit find ways to make things even with the world, a real reset button. Not the history erasing crazy nihilistic destructive insanity our prior war leaders championed.

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 11:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
My brother works for a company that does network security for everyone from alphabet agencies to the mom and pop store on the corner. We were talking about this at dinner last night. He was saying that all these companies want them to come in, look at their network and give them a list of steps to make everything secure. He also said that what we hear about isn't even a tiny fraction of what's going on.

So it isnt even a tiny fraction of what's being stolen... or isnt even a tiny fraction of # being stolen?

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 02:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

I always have to laugh when people say that there is no proof that China has ever hacked our servers. Uhm....J31 anyone? I know I always say form follows function, but there's a point where it gets ridiculous.

You have said the opposite at times. Any visual similarities can be attributed to pics.

Yes, China does this, so does the US, Russia, Canada, Australia .... etc until you have named every country.

So, bellyaching because they seem to be good at it. Remember this, many of these thefts have inside help as recent arrests have shown. Are you going to blame China for offering the bribe or US people for accepting them.

P

edit on 11/6/2018 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 03:34 AM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

There's not always something stolen, but there's a lot of attempted access into systems, and attacks on systems.

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 03:37 AM
link   

It's not "bellyaching because they're good at it". @@

Yes, there's a lot that has been taken through bribery, and there's a hell of a lot more that's taken through cyberattack, and a lot that's attempted to be taken through them.

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 05:26 AM
link   

granted i have never had the expreiance of some shady many with a case full of 100$ bills or stock options in some
state owned company coming at me in the shadows asking for some information, i've had nothing in my knowlege worth.

but i would hope that most that entrusted with said information are patriots or at the very least concerned about the bottom line.

Corporate security is no joke and most of the guys i have meet have strange 6-12 year gaps of believable work history, at least in the teleCom i worked for, i had entrance and 1/4 sit downs with them and when i left for another job had to sign all sorts of crazy paperwork. in fact it was the only place in civilian life that i had a secret clearance for.

it's sad to think people sell out their own controy for nothing(in the grand scheme)

probably a question for the Acraft section but with the U.S exporting the F-22 and F-35 i could see someone crew chief or equivalent be asked/paid to disappear for a hour or so. seems like that would net more information. with all the handheld material analyzer from mass spec to x-ray diffraction and multi-spectral imaging that is.

side note funny the navy just released a story about said missile

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Yeah, it looks like the same people that helped the Chinese car manufacturing business are also helping them with their aviation business.
The J31 looks like someone got to look at the F22 plans for a minute or two, and couldn't write/draw anything down for several hours, and did there "best" at copying it.

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 11:22 AM
link   

It's a remarkable blend of the F-22 in some areas, and F-35 in most. There are areas where the same type of sensor is in the exact same spot on the two as well. It looks like they built an F-35, and went twin engine because their engine reliability still sucks compared to ours, so threw some F-22 stuff in.

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 11:35 AM
link   

I think as a punishment, countries should take back their manufacturing and move away from filling China's pockets. A slight increase in manufacturing costs but building goods at home is good for all concerned, and they could save money in the long run as intellectual property, and patents are kept secure.

posted on Jun, 13 2018 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Hey, China didn't steal that stuff.

They have paid Trump at least $500 million dollars for it.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join