It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I just broke some physical laws.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 08:02 AM
link   
My kid broke the chain on necklace. I got to work on it in the usual way for this sort of stuff- tweezers, smaller tweezers, and some squinting. I grabbed the link that had opened, opened it up further, and proceeded to put opened link onto the closed link on the chain. All straightforward, if not small and fiddly- with the risk of the link going *twing!*, flying off into some corner of the room, never to be seen again.

Something happened. I am unsure, my wife had a look. Somehow, I fused the chain together, minus the link I was going to bend back. Chain is like new, with the still slightly opened link dangling off of it. No openings in the other links, no forcing of them together- I plopped the unopened link onto the opened one, and ended up with something really confusing. It's like the magic trick with the linking rings, except the thing is like brand new, minus the dangling part. I tested the chain as much as I dared, pulled it taut. nothing came loose- and if it did, there's no physical laws I know of where this sort of action can happen in the first place, since all I was working with was the opened link, and the end of the chain that was undamaged.

I'm... stumped.

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 08:08 AM
link   
a reply to: wylekat

Ta daaaaaa!!

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 08:08 AM
link   

I’ve done the exact same thing, and some really other amazing things that defy the laws of nature as well. ‘‘Tis fun isn’t it

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Reminiscent of the magicians trick with metal rings.

Whats the metal in the chain, is it base/precious?
edit on 9-6-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 08:54 AM
link   
That link isn't like the others..... Looks to me like that link held a pendant or something and the pendant was pulled off....... And you're making up a totally dif story.....

Come on man.....

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 09:10 AM
link   

I did this many times when I got married cuz i had to make 200 personalized wine glass charms with similar chain. The links are assembled by machine and crimped in the same direction. You thought that last link was okay cuz the end where it began to split was not visible; The splitting crimp side was looped into the next link.

It's actually good this happened cuz the chain was already weak in that spot if you hadn't noticed it and would have broke again rather quickly.

The cheater fix is to open that link further and remove it.

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 09:11 AM
link   

You did? You get a time out...

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I am thinking that the two links met up at the two openings that were pinched and were able to slip together at just the right angle/position. And pulling on the chain wasn’t the same angle so it seemed magical.

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 09:25 AM
link   
We spent a lot of time making reality real...stop breaking the immersion!

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 09:34 AM
link   
You have not broken any physical laws, but you have done half of a magic trick. I would show you how this works, but that'll break my code with the Magic Circle. Sorry.

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

I'm not sure that particular trick is covered by the Magic Circle.

I know the one you mean. It used to come in kid's magic sets and I've a feeling they came with Xmas crackers too as two/three metal triangles.

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 09:44 AM
link   
"You're only as strong as Your 'weakest' link..."

All the other links got together and said "Phil, You're the WEAKEST LINK!!!!" and they 'retired' Phil. As I typed this Phil is awaiting a good spot, an "Eden" if You will. The chain will become 'warm-HOT' this will be ALL the other links saying 'So Long Phil' A "Chain Valhalla".

So please join Me...

So Long, Phil!

everyOne wave ...

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 10:48 AM
link   
HE'S A WITCH!!!! BURN HIM!!!

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: KTemplar

I’ve done the exact same thing, and some really other amazing things that defy the laws of nature as well. ‘‘Tis fun isn’t it

After a while, breaking the laws of physics kinda makes my head hurt.

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Whats the metal in the chain, is it base/precious?

Cheap steel. Tweezers have been magnetized over the course of them being around some hard drive magnets, and the chain stuck to them.

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 11:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX
We spent a lot of time making reality real...stop breaking the immersion!

You think that's something- wait till I turn water into cheap beer.

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: bananashooter
I am thinking that the two links met up at the two openings that were pinched and were able to slip together at just the right angle/position. And pulling on the chain wasn’t the same angle so it seemed magical.

I thought that, too- but using the loupe I have for close work, it was hook the open end to the closed end. How it got in like that with really no effort from me is the part I don't get. I hadn't even gotten to the crimping of that link- just put them together.

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: JimNasium

"You're only as strong as Your 'weakest' link..."

All the other links got together and said "Phil, You're the WEAKEST LINK!!!!" and they 'retired' Phil. As I typed this Phil is awaiting a good spot, an "Eden" if You will. The chain will become 'warm-HOT' this will be ALL the other links saying 'So Long Phil' A "Chain Valhalla".

So please join Me...

So Long, Phil! But Phill...Din.

everyOne wave ...

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Brian4real
HE'S A WITCH!!!! BURN HIM!!!

Can a request a golden brown, lightly buttered?

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask
That link isn't like the others..... Looks to me like that link held a pendant or something and the pendant was pulled off....... And you're making up a totally dif story.....

Come on man.....

Sorry. I don't make stuff up to entertain. Think what you want, however.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join