It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McDonald's: You buy more from touch-screen kiosks than a person. So expect more kiosks

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 08:32 PM
link   
People should be dancing in the streets.
McDonald's is eliminating all those minimum wages jobs that are so terrible.
Kiosks don't get paid.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

It’s got nothing to do with buying more..

It has to do with paying less out in labor. It would just be horrible press to say that.

There is no way a human can compete with technology long term.. there never was.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 08:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

originally posted by: Gothmog
Wear latex cloves as 1,000s of folks before you have touched that very screen.

Fewer people have touched that screen than have touched the door you pushed to get into the building.

And....????

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 08:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Isurrender73
a reply to: Gothmog

Do you touch money? Can't even wash money. It's amazing we are not all dead yet.

Maybe you are overreacting a bit?

What ?
I havent touched money in dang near 20 years.
If you have , that is all on you...

edit on 6/8/18 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 08:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

Wear latex cloves as 1,000s of folks before you have touched that very screen.

Fewer people have touched that screen than have touched the door you pushed to get into the building.

And....????

It's a bit silly to complain about germs on the screen if you're willing to touch the door.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 08:42 PM
link   
If I'm at my local grocery or Target or wherever and there is a line for every human checker and I've got a handful of items, I'm headed for the self-check. It's quicker and more efficient for me to do it than to wait.

As for ordering kiosks, perhaps if workers weren't demanding to be able to fully support a family of four on it, we might not be worrying about this.

I wonder why when the kiosks invade all our part-timers are suddenly once again sad high school kids who won't be gaining valuable experience, but when we're arguing to pump that minimum wage up to "livable" levels which is partially what spurred the new kioskapocalypse, all those poor part-timers are struggling to support their starving six children?

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 08:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Jesus, you guys touch public doors?

I just karate kick them open

We were having the convo tonight about the quality of fast food workers around here and the fact that they don't have disease tests for food prep workers.

"Yeah, I'd like a Big Mac, a small fry, with a chocolate milkshake and Hepatitis C please."
edit on 6 by Mandroid7 because: added2

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 08:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7

I planned on buying on of Elon Musk's "not-flame throwers" to use on them.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 08:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
If I'm at my local grocery or Target or wherever and there is a line for every human checker and I've got a handful of items, I'm headed for the self-check. It's quicker and more efficient for me to do it than to wait.

As for ordering kiosks, perhaps if workers weren't demanding to be able to fully support a family of four on it, we might not be worrying about this.

I wonder why when the kiosks invade all our part-timers are suddenly once again sad high school kids who won't be gaining valuable experience, but when we're arguing to pump that minimum wage up to "livable" levels which is partially what spurred the new kioskapocalypse, all those poor part-timers are struggling to support their starving six children?

Perhaps if corporations were required to create jobs that paid a living wage and kept people off welfare we wouldn't have this problem.

I'm really tired of the blame the poor people crap.

I've been working in retail for almost 30 years. Those people work. They show up and work physically harder than most. They deserve an income that pays the bills.

If McDonald's can't figure it out, we don't need McDonald's. We don't need a middle class supplementing the bottom through welfare. We need business owners to be held accountable to society. If McDonald's employees have to take welfare to survive McDonald's is not being a responsible partner to the citizens of this country.

The problem lies where the money is, not where the poverty is. You're blaming the wrong people.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Seriously, I'm not really a germaphobe, but you ever grab a door handle and it's all greasy?

I literally don't touch door handles if I can help it.

Grrrrrross

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 08:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Isurrender73

WHo said anything about blaming the poor?

The point is that either jobs like this are considered entry level or they are supposed to be career level, but they aren't going to be both.

Entry level work like this is not going to support you for life and it's not meant to.

And it's faulty to use the same work to try to argue both angles.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 08:56 PM
link   

a reply to: ketsuko

Seriously, I'm not really a germaphobe, but you ever grab a door handle and it's all greasy?

I literally don't touch door handles if I can help it.

Grrrrrross

Door handles, touch screens, money. Number of outbreaks associated with them, almost zero.

Employee doesn't wash hands after using the restroom or handling raw food. Number of outbreaks 99%.

Bacteria need food and moisture to reproduce and survive which is why you won't find yourself getting ill from a touch screen kiosk. At least that is what science has to say on the matter.

No paranoia for me thank you anyway.

edit on 8-6-2018 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Yeah, but how to you force a business to pay what you want?

People need to stand up and say FU, you make 100 billion, and want to pay me what?

Take a note from the union playbook.

This is why we are in the Divided States of America right now.

Complacency

No collective WTF?
WTF to wages
WTF to taxes
WTF to gas and food prices
WTF to insurance
WTF to prices in general

It really is kind of stupid for big business to push it to the limits and take a yacht and jet with short term thinking, while they choke out the same people paying for their own products.

Not smart

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

They always get taken down. And It's never pretty. You would think they would learn from history. Apparently greed activates a part of the mind that is void of logic and reasoning.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 09:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

WHo said anything about blaming the poor?

The point is that either jobs like this are considered entry level or they are supposed to be career level, but they aren't going to be both.

Entry level work like this is not going to support you for life and it's not meant to.

And it's faulty to use the same work to try to argue both angles.

How dare they ask for $15 an hour? They have done this to themselves. Isn't that the jist of your post?

Why shouldn't entry level work pay the bills? Because you decided so? I'm happy for you that you have a skillset that pays, but many don't.

The way you and others think is put of touch with reality. I've got 30 years experience in the field. I know what I am talking about. I would suggest you really don't understand the retail and food industries enough to be commenting on how much they should make.

Add.

Can we please stop telling them all to go to college? I have worked with so many kids who are struggling in their fields in college courses. They will never be able to compete with those who actually belong in those fields. Education is not for everyone. Some people can't do it.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 09:02 PM
link   

We were having the convo tonight about the quality of fast food workers around here and the fact that they don't have disease tests for food prep workers.

"Yeah, I'd like a Big Mac, a small fry, with a chocolate milkshake and Hepatitis C please."

Near where I live, there was a Hep A outbreak not too long ago. It shut down nearly every restaurant in town.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 09:04 PM
link   

The science huh?

Got a source on that one?

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I wonder what a bored, young, pissedoff food worker would do to your food: just for the amusement?

The next time you come down with a sore throat, a nagging cough and diarrhea ...give it some thought.

edit on 8-6-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Yeah, I hear you, I don't like people making my food, even the high end restaurants, I can't play bathroom hygiene police.

Let alone accidentally rubbing them the wrong way and getting intentional contamination.

I was in a Pizza Hut once where the cook sliced his finger and bled a ton of blood into the sauce on purpose once. It was disgusting.
edit on 6 by Mandroid7 because: added

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 09:08 PM
link   

The science huh?

Got a source on that one?

I am a Serv Safe recognized instructor and proctor in the state of California. The state of California has said anyone can come to me for training on food saftey and if they pass a written test they can manage or own a food establishment.

In simple terms. I am certified in food safety by the state of California. The resources can be found online through Serv Safe's website.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join